Paleo?

Options
Anybody here get results on the paleo diet?

Replies

• tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options

Yes there are plenty, but if you are looking for actually feedback from people who have done the diet, maybe post the question on a Paleo LCHF group or on a LCHF website.

Good luck with sifting through the dross to get the answers you are after.

0020se3g
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    I like it. It greatly reduces inflammation for me.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I might as well be in ...to figure out exactly what form of paleo we are discussing...
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Interesting interview with Associate Professor of the University of Miami School of Medicine & board certified Neurologist, David Perlmutter in Medscape (legit Health Professionals' Continuing Ed site)

"Dementia: Is Gluten the Culprit?"
    http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/819232_2

Some comments have a bearing on Paleo-type diet and the false idea that 'a calorie is a calorie is a calorie.'

I get regular news & study updates from the site since I have been in the Health Industry for many years. I'll pass on what stuff may be pertinent to Nutrition, Healthful Eating, Exercise, etc.

Liana
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Interesting interview with Associate Professor of the University of Miami School of Medicine & board certified Neurologist, David Perlmutter in Medscape (legit Health Professionals' Continuing Ed site)

Some comments have a bearing on Paleo-type diet and the false idea that 'a calorie is a calorie is a calorie.'

I get regular news & study updates from the site since I have been in the Health Industry for many years. I'll pass on what stuff may be pertinent to Nutrition, Healthful Eating, Exercise, etc.

Liana
    LOL and here we go ...

if a calorie is not a calorie, then what is it?

and why would you take diet advice from a neurologist? That would be like asking a pediatrician to perform open heart surgery....
  • swoodmusic
    swoodmusic Posts: 6 Member
    Options

What are your symptoms if you eat pro-inflammatory foods?
  • shannamr
    shannamr Posts: 1
    Options
    I love it. My body likes protein, veg, and good fats. I don't feel well with gluten and dairy. So, for me it's great. Give it a go and see!
  • wannaBrunnner81
    wannaBrunnner81 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I eat a modified paleo diet. I have a soy allergy and since most manufactures like to throw modified soy in dang near everything. I noticed i lost more weight quicker on a Paleo diet, but i run and cross country ski a lot and I found that on a strickt paleo diet i couldnt get the carbs that i needed to go on long runs or skis, and i wasnt recovering the way i wanted to. So i still eat dairy and other grains, i just try to limite them as much as i can.
  • tabbyblack13
    tabbyblack13 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    When I was eating a higher carb diet I couldn't get full. So I started adding meat and vegetable reducing my carb intake. This reduced my hunger and allowed me to get bread out of my diet. The problem with bread is that I always want to eat more of it then one serving. By kicking it out of my diet (for the most part) I feel more in control of myself.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options

Liana
    LOL and here we go ...

if a calorie is not a calorie, then what is it?

and why would you take diet advice from a neurologist? That would be like asking a pediatrician to perform open heart surgery....

I would say you didn't read the article as it has several comments on how glycation of proteins affect our neurological processes. BTW, some pediatricians do perform open heart surgery... Pediatric heart surgeons ...
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    I got good results *without* paleo.... in fact I feel better eating dairy than I do not eating dairy. Evolution didn't stop when we evolved vertical foreheads and chins. Some ethnic groups, i.e. those with a long history of dairy farming/herding, have evolved the ability to digest lactose. Those who have inherited this ability don't need to avoid dairy to be healthy. People who are actually lactose intolerant should avoid dairy. And the same with the other foods on the paleo banned list, if you're actually allergic or intolerant to them, then yes you should avoid them. If you're not, then there's no need. You can lose fat with a calorie deficit, no need to give up specific foods. Additionally, the paleo diet was originally designed for people with food allergies/intolerances, not for fat loss. You can get fat eating paleo only foods if you eat more than you burn off, and lose fat eating non-paleo foods if you eat less than you burn off.

As for the name, it doesn't remotely resemble any actual palaeolithic diets and it's not based even remotely on any actual palaeoanthropology. It's a good diet for people with multiple allergies/intolerances and digestive issues that are worsened by specific foods, but there's no need for people who are not allergic/intolerant to those foods to avoid them.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Interestingly, the responses to the IIFYM thread are mostly "my diary is open"

Any paleo advocates care to open their diaries?
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options

OUCH!!! Did you just hit the nail? :wink:
  • swoodmusic
    swoodmusic Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm actually on the Paleo diet now. Protein seems to work better for my body as well. :)
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I did. In calendar year 2012, I gained the 20 pounds I wanted to while adhering to a paleo/primal diet...because I ate at a calorie surplus. I felt great.

And then in 2013, I lost the 20 pounds I wanted to while eating whatever I wanted (while still hitting my protein and fat minimums)...because I ate at a calorie deficit. I felt great.

And my diary is open. Just scroll back to 2012.
  • likitisplit
    Options

OUCH!!! Did you just hit the nail? :wink:

The questions weren't *quite* the same so the responses are a bit different, but it's interesting comparing the characters of the two threads.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options

I think it might be a good idea to define what results you are referring to.
    Weight loss? Weight gain? Improved athletic performance? Improvement for digestive issues?

For me, it would be unsustainable and not in line with my goals.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options

I do eat dairy, however, avoiding the grains, in particular, gluten has greatly improved quality of life for me.

Some of my "inflammations" are too gross to mention publicly, but common for me are skin rashes, itching, acne, sore tummy, loose stools, stomach ulceration. Ironically I've recently learned that when I do have gluten my teeth (which are already decaying, I've got one root canal, need two more) hurt. I'm not sure if the inflammation is irritating my sinus cavities, tooth decay, or both, but either way I try to avoid gluten like the plague.

I don't mind a sweet or gluten-free cheat every so often for 80/20, but I try real hard to not make it gluten, and really regret it when I do.

*Edit: I'm actually allergic to gluten, which is why Paleo works so well for me, I was gluten free for medical reasons anyways, but sometimes I do have a bit of corn chip or rice noodle which isn't Paleo or Primal but oh well.
  • likitisplit
    Options

I do eat dairy, however, avoiding the grains, in particular, gluten has greatly improved quality of life for me.

Some of my "inflammations" are too gross to mention publicly, but common for me are skin rashes, itching, acne, sore tummy, loose stools, stomach ulceration. Ironically I've recently learned that when I do have gluten my teeth (which are already decaying, I've got one root canal, need two more) hurt. I'm not sure if the inflammation is irritating my sinus cavities, tooth decay, or both, but either way I try to avoid gluten like the plague.

I don't mind a sweet or gluten-free cheat every so often for 80/20, but I try real hard to not make it gluten, and really regret it when I do.

*Edit: I'm actually allergic to gluten, which is why Paleo works so well for me, I was gluten free for medical reasons anyways, but sometimes I do have a bit of corn chip or rice noodle which isn't Paleo or Primal but oh well.

This makes sense. All of my friends who are allergic to gluten find that they do better when they avoid it. Same with the ones who have nut allergies - they do better when they avoid nuts.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I'm actually on the Paleo diet now. Protein seems to work better for my body as well. :)

if it works for you more power to you ...I personally do not believe in restricting anything and that has always worked well for me...210 pounds to 175 pounds over past seven years, in addition to lowering my body fat to 12%..

At the end of the day, it boils down to being in a calorie deficit..if Paleo helps you do that, then go for it ...

but like Neander said, the Paleo diet does not really resemble what Paleolithic people actually consumed...