Food Scale

Options
Is it worth it to buy a food scale?

Replies

• CelticWarrior
    Options
    oh yea it is , I just bought one for 20 bucks in walmart. I have to say Im big dude, so my idea of 8 0z is a lot different than the scales 8 oz. Even with Grams it is a big help.

Ofcourse, I will say this ,once I retrained myself on portion size, I will stop using the scale ,but it is very useful to me.
  • kappyblu
    kappyblu Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    You know, it's funny. I was thinking about going to buy one TODAY! I use measuring cups and measuring spoons all the time, but sometimes I have a chicken breast or some lunch meat I need to weigh. I have passed on certain foods in the grocery store because they list calories only by the ounce. But I think I need to go get that scale because while I am capable of working the cups and spoons, I don't know what that chicken breast weighs just by looking at. :-)
  • mizyvee
    mizyvee Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    A scale is a very important tool when actively trying to lose weight. By the time you get to your goal, you will most likely have a good sense of what serving sizes really are and could eyeball it most of the time.
  • RCharlesworth
    Options
    My wife and I find ours to be quite valuable. I'm terrible with portions and find that by weighing things I get a much more accurate calorie count than if I were to "eyeball" it. Invariably my "estimate" is way over -- many times double or more. Now I weigh everything unless MFP has a calorie count in cups or some similar measure (and I do use measuring cups and measuring spoons). Perhaps it's overkill, but it is working for both of us. Maybe with time I'll get better at estimating, but for now I'm sticking with the weights.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    For me at least, there is no way I could have lost my weight without a scale.

Get a good digital scale with english and metric units, a Tare feature, and a large weight capacity (at least 5 lbs) so you can weigh things as you add them to a pot, cookware, plate, etc.

Doesn't have to cost more than $30. Can probably do it for $20. A better investment than protein supplements, that's for sure.
  • 6Janelle13
    6Janelle13 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    i finally broke down and got a small one from target for 5 bucks. it's been amazing for me to see how much i was over guessing weights and cheating my body of nutrients. while i would have loved a digital scale i figure my little thing works and it give me a ball park idea of how much things are. that's enough for me
  • alissakk
    Options
    I don't feel like I really got a grip on proper portion sizes until I started using the food scale. Now I can be confident in my portions - an ounce of cheese, 33g of bread, etc. Highly recommend it!
  • bonnienm
    bonnienm Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I bought one at Wal-Mart for the diabetic in my family who never used it and I used it when I was dieting. Actually I still use it even though I'm at my goal/healthy weight. It's not a fancy one and was only $5-$10. I actually went and bought a second one!
  • ickybella
    ickybella Posts: 1,438 Member
    Options
    I sort of collect food scales. I didn't really mean for it to happen, but when I moved here, there was an old yellow one that weighs in ounces, then I borrowed one that weighs in grams, got one for a wedding gift, and bought a digital scale last weekend. I couldn't live without mine. As someone else said, it makes your calorie counting much more accurate. I don't think I'll ever trust myself to "eyeball" portion sizes. I just keep my scale on the counter so it's there when I need it.
  • A_shelton316
    A_shelton316 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Great thanks for all the help looks like I willbe heading to walmart on my way home :wink:
  • The perfect portions scale looks real cool Im going to buy one for my birthday this weekend. It does everything. Its 60.00 but I think Its worth It. I saw It on Dr. Oz :)

http://www.perfectportionsscale.com/buy