Chia Seeds - do you use them?

Options
carolinatx
carolinatx Posts: 58 Member
I just recently started adding to some recipes and I'm a fan... yogurt, leafy salads, pea salad and some energy bites (or as I call them, Granola Balls, that I make for my son).

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2013/06/03/chia-seed-benefits-_n_3379831.html#slide=2525650

Replies

• cpcoursec
    cpcoursec Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I have read about all of the benefits and decided to try some. Went to Fred Meyer and it was 12.00 a bag. I will keep looking, but I'm not paying that much for something I may hate.
  • pagraham1971
    pagraham1971 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I have tried Chia seeds, but prefer hmp hearts. the Chia seeds get stuck in my teeth. I would like to try them in baking as an egg substiute just to see if it works.:smile:
  • carolinatx
    Options
    Try Trader Joes if you have one around - They're $4.99 for a 5.3 ounce bag
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I keep wanting to, look at them... and change my mind, lol. I should though...
  • michelefrench
    michelefrench Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I make chia seed puddings quite often..very filling and tasty
  • ska4jesus
    ska4jesus Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Costco sells a big bag for 12.99 (it last about 1 1/2 months)
  • rlmassman84
    rlmassman84 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    If your grocery store has a bulk food section check there. You can buy a small amount to try before committing to an entire bag.
  • GabyBaby916
    GabyBaby916 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I have tried Chia seeds, but prefer hmp hearts. the Chia seeds get stuck in my teeth. I would like to try them in baking as an egg substiute just to see if it works.:smile:
    I hate the flavor of eggs and frequently use chia gel to replace up to 2 eggs in some recipes (I usually don't go higher than 2 or it does change the consistency).

I've made chia fresca (a lemonade type drink with white chia seed).
    I've used it to make pudding, thicken up drinks, added it to smoothies.
    I often add it to meats, which helps increase moistness, since chia absorbs water), and stews. My family doesn't even know it is there most of the time, so it is a good way to get some added benefits to them.

I tried flax, but I don't care for the flavor.
  • GabyBaby916
    GabyBaby916 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I should add that I like to grind mine up first so the bits are smaller. The whole seeds (when moist) are a bit too much like small tapioca pearls for some uses.
  • baileyan06
    baileyan06 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I use them and love them! I add them on top of salads, in smoothies, etc. The bag I buy at my local Kroger lasts for a pretty long time, too.
  • Iknowsaur
    Iknowsaur Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    They don't really taste like anything.
    I just blend them into my protein smoothies/shakes.
  • cpcoursec
    cpcoursec Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Try Trader Joes if you have one around - They're $4.99 for a 5.3 ounce bag

Thanks, I will do that.
  • airangel59
    airangel59 Posts: 1,887 Member
    Options
    I've been making Chocolate PB2 Chia seed pudding ( I use 4 oz Chocolate Carbmaster milk, 1T Chocolate PB2, 1T Chia seeds...blended up and refrigerated a few hours/overnite). Mine comes to 123 Cal, 12 carb, 11 protein, 6 fiber)

Also have mixed some in my yogurt, smoothies/protein shakes, and lately in my oatmeal.

Originally bought them at Trader Joes ($4.99) but now get in bulk at local place called Sprouts Marketplace. Am sure health food stores would carry, have also seen in health section of grocery (Bob's Red Mill).
  • BigVeggieDream
    BigVeggieDream Posts: 1,101 Member
    Options
    I take chia seed oil everyday.
  • lumpy56lump
    lumpy56lump Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I add chia seeds to my oatmeal every morning
  • carolinatx
    Options
    Love all the suggestions - thank you! :-D

Airangel - I just found P2B for the first time (have been looking for it for some time) and haven't used it yet - will have to try that. Sounds delicious!

I'm excited to make the pudding and had not yet heard that it was an egg substitute - awesome!
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    I do......chia "pudding" is my newest discovery. I've had them in the house for a few years now. I used to just add them to water and drink it down. They are good on top of strawberries with greek yogurt and cottage cheese too.

Lots of great ideas! Thanks!
  • Jblackert
    Options
    I bought a small container last week and I think I read you should try 2 tablespoons or less per day, but don't quote me on that. I use them for the Omega 3's and they last a very long time. The taste doesn't bother me. I've put them in smoothies and they feel like fresh fruit seeds (raspberries, perhaps). I've sprinkled them on top of salads and in sandwiches and I really don't know they are there. They have helped me feel full, but I can't say it would have the same effect on everyone's body. I know there are many recipes out there for them like some people have posted above. I also read they last longer than flax. If you get a big bag it should last you quite awhile.
  • mortuseon
    mortuseon Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Chia jam!