giving up

Options
I like eating too much keeping it to 1,250 calories a day is unreal :(

Replies

• rdale8200
    Options
    Have you tried adjusting it so you are losing 1 pound a week instead? it allows for a higher calorie intake. Don't give up!
  • Kara78155
    Options
  • sjaudio
    Options
    If you are making an effort to be physically active, you can eat more than 1,250 calories a day. Even going for an hour long walk will bump you up a fair amount.
  • Kekibird
    Kekibird Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Yeah that can be very discouraging. I'd look into adjusting some of your data and find a more comfortable calorie limit.
  • grouch201
    grouch201 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I thought that was just a baseline and bare minimum of what you should eat. The more you get up and move around, the more you should be able to eat; theoretically, at least. Maybe don't give up on eating right, try getting out and about first!
  • christina1552
    Options
    I really just started watching what I eat and I think you can do it if you really want to. I think it will uncomfortable at first, I know I am today and yesterday, BUT I want to lose weight so that I can be healthier so it is an achievable goal for me. It is like every other major endeavor it takes committment and if you are not in it 100% it won't work--you are right. Good luck!! You can do it--DON"T GIVE UP!! Failure is only practice for success!! :happy:
  • Kara78155
    Options
    Then do 1500-1600 a day, or maybe 1800 and develop a good exercise routine- it's a lifestyle....don't give up on your life!
  • smaller portions of food through out the day might help. Drinking plenty of liquid as well. Just eat healthy and don't give up.
  • wvmom30
    wvmom30 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    It's really not as long as your eating the right meals...I eat breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, and then dinner. Best Luck too you and I hope you don't give up.
  • ashlee954
    ashlee954 Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    If you are making an effort to be physically active, you can eat more than 1,250 calories a day. Even going for an hour long walk will bump you up a fair amount.

This is so true. If you burn more you can eat more and still lose that 2 lbs per week. Maybe finding foods that are real low cal but that you can eat a lot of would help too. I know I have to eat a lot to feel full.
  • kappyblu
    kappyblu Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Okay Oscar--(cute avatar!) 1250 calories seems awfully low. Are you sure all of your information is correct? Are you set at losing 1 pound a week? That is the amount that is recommended. I can have 2070 calories a day and am losing 2-3 pounds every 7-10 days Please please don't give up. That's why so many of us are here because we gave up. On ourselves, on life, on everything. I finally decided that my health and being there for my children is more important than that huge cheeseburger, or those four eggs at breakfast, of all that gooey caramel, of all that butter, of all that cream, etc. Those things are not going to be there for me. Those things were killing me...slowly.

You have to be ready, and if you really feel like you're not ready, then I guess you're not. But please try to reset your settings before you leave. Good luck to you!!!
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options

It's your life, do whatever makes you happiest.

I wish you the best.
  • JosieMomGramma
    JosieMomGramma Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Yes I found that when I first logged into MFP it suggested 1250 calories & I found it too little for me to handle. So I upped it to 1450 cals. I try to keep below that & find that I am losing about 1 1/2 pounds a week, which I am happy with. We are all different when it comes to the way our body & mind works when first starting our weight loss journey. Exercise has to be a big part of it as well to be successful. I know it is for me. I find I am more successful the weeks I do my exercises. Don't give up just try adjusting your calories until you find you are losing. My problem has always been feeling deprived, but with this food diary, I can eat the foods I like as long as I calculate it in & compensate the rest of the day. Wishing you success!!
  • TennVolsGal
    TennVolsGal Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    You can do it....look at hurgrygirl.com she shows you easy swaps you can make that taste the same but are way better for you. That should help!:blushing:
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,613 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't be able to sustain that either. I lost all mine eating 1,700 to 1,800 calories a day. Don't give up. Find that happy balance that makes you feel good AND allows you to lose the weight. You can do it, and it's so worth it!
  • cbirdso
    cbirdso Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I agree. I never go below 1,500 and usually eat way more than that because I always eat my exercise calories. It is a total myth that you have to punish yourself to lose weight. I have my MFP goals set to lose 1/2 a pound a week because I refuse to go hungry. This means I eat only 250 calories less than maintenance. This is very doable for me and as you can see because I have been steadily getting to my goal.

You do NOT need to go on a diet to lose weight but you DO need to change your eating habits. The first step is to improve the quality of the food you eat because no-one obtains their goal by eating smaller portions of junk food. Healthy (meaning additve free) food tastes good, too. REALLY!
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    I stepped myself back to 1 1/2 lb to lose a week, I went from 1280 calories to 1480 calories (before exercise) and I'm SOOOO much happier. 2lbs a week is actually extreme weight loss. So it's hard to stick with long term. After 6 weeks of it I was going crazy and felt like giving up too. Stepping it back to a more realistic goal made me so much happier. Now I don't eat back all my exercise calories either. If you're just using MFP to estimate exercise it's better to not eat them all back because compared to a heart rate monitor I found that MFP is a little high on calorie estimation for exercise.

Find a place that makes you happier while still losing 1lbs or 1 1/2 lbs a week. With exercise you'll find most week you'll lose more anyhow. Good luck!
  • Katy213
    Options
    as others have said, EXERCISE and then you can eat more. You must have input a sedentary lifestyle to have such a low calorie recommendation so that means anything over and above your sedentary lifestyle (walking, housework etc) can all be logged to earn extra calories. It will be hard at first but if you want to do it enough you will soon adjust. Good luck :-)
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    you don't mention how much you have to lose, but you can alternate between low days and "maintain" days. Or you could do 6 days on with a cheat day. Find something that works for you.
    If the low cals is too hard, you could work in some fitness goals. I did couch to 5k and it kept me active. I started Gateway to 8k and on the days where I run I can eat more:)
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    Can you set it to lose 1 pound a week? Or even 1/2 a pound a week at first?

I set mine at 1 lb a week to begin with... and got about 1650 calories, down to 1530 through losing 20 pounds. I think that setting it at a amount that I felt was reachable at first really helped me in seeing what I was eating and how to maintain *that*, and then along the way I have gradually been able to make better choices and stick to that.

If I had started at 1200 calories a day, I would have quit long before now. I am starting higher and focusing on getting the food part under control... then slowly adding in exercise so that when I *do* have mine set at 1200 a day baseline (it is inevitable at some point since I am so short!) I will be able to add to that through exercise. :)

You are welcome to check out my food diary too... it is public... and I am eating anywhere from 1300-1500ish a day plus exercise calories if I want those.