Sleep Apnea, anyone else have it?

Options
shann1979
shann1979 Posts: 13 Member
I'm overweight and have sleep apnea. I cant remember the last time i had a restful sleep because I am constantly waking up not breathing. I have the CPAP but I seem to take it off while i'm sleeping, even after tightening the straps as much as i can. Does anyone have any advice? I hear about how much better everyone feels once they start using the machine but i cant get mine to stay on. No restful sleep is making it hard to lose weight and of course the apnea wont get better without losing weight so i'm at a loss here :indifferent:

Replies

• gwayby
    gwayby Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I am within the normal weight range for my height, but I have had sleep apnea for as long as I can recall. Genetic, I guess (my dad has it). I've been reading up on what I should do because it is starting to really irritate my fiance. I'll probably try the CPAP first, but I know that getting your tonsils/excess soft palate removed is a treatment option. Perhaps look into that?
  • mamanicole79
    mamanicole79 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    You should call the company that you received the CPAP from and let them know you need to be fit again and that your mask isn't staying on. I work at a Respiratory company and we provide CPAP's. You would be surprised how many people have Sleep Apnea, it isn't just people that are overweight. Have you lost any weight since you've tried the machine? If so your pressure may be too high, usually a when you lose weight your pressure can be decreased some by the recommendation of your Dr. Once you get a good fit, you should be able to sleep through the night and within a couple of weeks, you should see a difference in how you feel.
  • tink11464
    tink11464 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I have sleep apnea - the first month was hard getting used to it - but 2 years later - LOVE my cpap. I never slept so good!! We lost power during storms here this winter and I couldn't sleep without it!! Definitely get fitted again - it'll be the best sleep you've ever had once it's fitted right :)
  • nellie1967
    nellie1967 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have sleep apnea also and have been using a BiPap machine for about a year now.
    I would also suggest you go back in and get refitted. I went through about 4 masks before I found one that was comfortable and fit me properly that I could sleep through the night.