To open diary or not to open???

Options
124»

Replies

• SuperWhoLock24601
    SuperWhoLock24601 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Open keeps you more accountable and conscientious of what you eat.
  • fit4family12
    fit4family12 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Interesting the read all the opinons on this.... thank you all for your input :) seems really a personal choice to have it open or closed... sooooooooooooo for me, personally, I Like for ppl to see what im eating and comment, and if they see something really wacky on my diary , call me out on it! I am not an overly sensitive person and most likely need a good kick in the butt to not have days that put me wayy over the edge.. lol.....

I know I will have days that I go over and make bad choices... it won't do me any good to not input in my diary in fear someone will say something about it, because it is not being honest to myself or why I am even opening it to my friends.. .. Im not perfect and will have mess up days.. plus, maybe that's my problem that in real life ppl are not brutally honest with me and my choices, almost enabling me to eat bad when I shouldn't be....

:)
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I guess I find it really strange that people need to be accountable to other people for what they eat. I mean, in real life, do you need to tell everyone what you're eating so that they can approve or disapprove? It just seems odd to me, but each to their own. :smile:
  • SluggishSwimmer
    SluggishSwimmer Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I keep mine closed. It's not so I can 'cheat', I log EVERYTHING.
    I'm just a private person, and I don't really want people commenting if I make a bad choice here and there. Because I do still make some bad choices here and there, I just try to keep them under my calorie limit.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    If I need help I'll open it as it always was till I got till goal weight. I know what to do now but most of the time those pesky last kilos aren't always worth me caring about so I don't log and no need for an open diary.
  • girldownsouth
    girldownsouth Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I opened mine to friends pretty soon after coming on here. I don't really get negative comments. I'm happy to have it open and I track everything. I'm very much treating this as a lifestyle change, so I have great days and days with a lot of food and drink, but that's fine with me, I've found a balance and taking away restrictions in my diet is working very well for me, and if someone tried to tell me I was making bad choices I'd probably not pay too much attention as I'm currently losing consistently and feeling great. I think a lot of people (me included) have real issues seeing red numbers, I'm trying to overcome it, and I think if seeing in my diary that you can go over some days and still lose if you're sensible other times helps someone else, that's great!
  • spacelump
    spacelump Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I keep mine closed. My body, my journey, my results. I don't think everything in the world needs to be open to others comments and insensitivities.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    I keep mine closed. My body, my journey, my results. I don't think everything in the world needs to be open to others comments and insensitivities.
    Why do you assume that others are going to give bad comments? Mine's been open to friends ever since I've been on MFP. Not one 'bad comment' in over a year and I have days that are really not ideal. And if I had a bad comment I would look at it and the reasons behind it. if I felt it was out of order I would likely drop them off my friends list. I have people on my feed as a support structure to me being able to see their diaries is part of that. I do have people who don't show there diaries I just then refuse to comment on their food or finished diaries (how can I comment on something I cannot see?)

The main thing I like about seeing peoples diaries is that it gives me food and meal ideas especially from those people who live in different countries that eat different combinations of food than is normal here in Scotland.

It's a personal choice for people but to me to make the best use of the MFP support system you need to be open. A lot of people get Over weight and obese because they do hide what they eat so hiding your diary on MFP is a continuation of this.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    Never seen the point in not having it open.

If you're asking for advice, it's a very, very useful tool for those offering it.

I don't have a problem with people criticising what I eat because either a) the choices are backed up with some research which I'll explain or b) I'll happily admit it wasn't a good choice. :)

If someone has a question about what they are eating...want advice...it only takes seconds to open it.
  • Karababy51
    Karababy51 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Mine's been open to all MFP members since I began 205 days ago. I can understand reasons for both open or closed, it's a personal choice. I've been lucky I guess, the rare comments I've gotten on my food choices have been positive. I welcome all comments though, as long as they're constructive. It doesn't mean I have to take the advice, it's still my life, my choices. But, I would certainly appreciate it if someone was just trying to be genuinely helpful. :)
  • chelstakencharge
    chelstakencharge Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    Open! I have nothing to hide. I am accountable to myself and by allowing my friends to look it shows that I still have good days and bad
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options

I gained all my weight because I was not accountable...to myself. That is what my journey of weight loss and fitness is about...being accountable for myself. I don't need nor want to be accountable to others...

If I want this bad enough...I will do it for myself and not to impress or please others.

No matter what I eat...too much or too little - if I hit a macro or a micro - if I exercise or not - I am solely accountable for that. I should hold my own self accountable and not depend nor need others to do so.

What happens when these others are not around to help keep you accountable?
  • Bety_1989
    Bety_1989 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I keep mine open. Tips and opinions can never hurt, it is always up to you if want to implement it or not.
  • mitchiejo
    mitchiejo Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I keep my diary open to my friends. It helps me stay accountable for my food. We're here to help/cheer each other on and that's hard to do if you have no clue what they are eating.
  • scubasuenc
    scubasuenc Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Open. I have nothing to hide. It isn't about keeping myself accountable, logging is for that.

Also, I figure if I ever post asking for advice, people need to see my diary to provide feedback. I'm always willing to listen to tips and suggestions, I can then decide whether or not I want to apply them.
  • chelso0o
    chelso0o Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I keep mine open to public. I don't care if someone sees that I eat cookies. Heck, I don't even care that someone comments. If anything... it has helped me develop a thicker skin towards criticism. Plus, I am way better about logging consistently now that I have adopted a "don't care what you think" attitude.
  • sp1nn3r86
    sp1nn3r86 Posts: 15
    Options
    I have mine open. It's all about accountability
  • amy8400
    amy8400 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    If you want support from your MFP friends and your diary isn't open, you're not leaving them much to help you with. I find it hard to say anything encouraging when a friend has finished his/her diary for the day but it's closed. I don't give nutritional advice to anyone--I'm not qualified, for sure. I haven't had anyone be snippy with my food choices...I would hope that most MFP friends are more about being positive than tearing you down. You can always open your food diary to just friends and if you feel it's not helpful for you, make it private. But I'd suggest that everyone tries it even if just for a week with their MFP friends. You may not realize how much support and positive vibes you're missing,
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I have mine closed. But I'm also not looking for advice or feedback on my diary. If you have questions for your list or for the forums on a problem you are having, it's helpful to open it up at least temporarily.

I don't really feel anyone would benefit from looking at my diary. If I was a more amazing or creative cook like some of my pals here, I would consider opening it, because some of my pals here have really awesome and interesting food days.