fresh spinach

Options
kyregi
kyregi Posts: 55 Member
I am on a low fat, low sodium diet due to health issues and I'm still trying to discover new recipes. I have found baby spinach lately and eat it as a salad with different other ingredients. Now I'm looking for other great ideas what to do with the spinach, as I usually buy a big box and would like to incorporate it in more dishes than just salads. I also had once or twice an omelet already, but that does not use a lot of spinach... In my life before low fat/low sodium I would eat creamed spinach, but that is out of question now. Just "cooked" spinach is yucky in my opinion. So, how do you use spinach?

Replies

• MensEtSalvere2013
    MensEtSalvere2013 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    have you ever tried a green smoothie?
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Instead of lettuce in a wrap or sandwich.
  • hilly510
    hilly510 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I throw spinach in everything! Some of my suggestions might not work for your diet constraints, but you'll get the idea: omelettes, sandwiches, burgers, paninis, pizza, homemade soup, spaghetti sauce, meatball subs, etc. For the sandwiches its usually a small handful but the soup and spaghetti sauce can take a whole 10 oz bag if you want.
  • kyregi
    Options
    have you ever tried a green smoothie?
    Not yet. Somehow green smoothies seem kind of weird to me. But maybe I should give it a try. What else do you add to it besides the spinach?
  • vibhorka
    vibhorka Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I also enjoy eating spinach a lot. I usually like to mix mine with raw kale and arugula. Also, I try making it Indian style (SAAG).

You can try the following recipe, and modify it to lower fat or increase protein levels

http://www.paleoflip.com/paleo-indian-chicken-saag/
  • lindabeth333
    lindabeth333 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    If you are hesitant about a green smoothie (I love them) - just make a fruit smoothie or protein smoothie and throw in a big bunch of spinach - you won't even know it is in there.
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    I'll put spinach in just about anything- Pasta, wraps, salads, sandwiches, mashed potatoes, eggs, pizza...
  • kyregi
    Options
    Instead of lettuce in a wrap or sandwich.
    That's an idea :-) We were talking anyway of eating tacos this week. Usually we would have some lettuce to add to them, but spinach might do the job (even better)
  • MensEtSalvere2013
    MensEtSalvere2013 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    add coconut water, bananas, and some carrots. It's not too bad.
  • MamaFunky
    MamaFunky Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    When you make pasta throw a few handle fulls in when the pasta is done. Let it sit for a minute before you strain the water out. HTH! :smile:
  • kyregi
    Options
    I throw spinach in everything! Some of my suggestions might not work for your diet constraints, but you'll get the idea: omelettes, sandwiches, burgers, paninis, pizza, homemade soup, spaghetti sauce, meatball subs, etc. For the sandwiches its usually a small handful but the soup and spaghetti sauce can take a whole 10 oz bag if you want.
    Spaghetti sauce sounds good. I will have to try that.
    If you put it on pizza, will it not get "burned" or just totally dried up?
  • StephyA86
    StephyA86 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I've been throwing about a cup of fresh spinach into my berry smoothies and I can't tell it's there AT ALL. :) It's a sneaky way to get some green in for breakfast. :)
  • jharb2
    jharb2 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I sautee w/ garlic / olive oil
  • kyregi
    Options
    Wow, many great ideas. I will try the smoothies.... I also like the olive oil garlic combination. That with some spaghetti, sounds pretty good. I think I have some new ideas I will need to try over the next couple of weeks
    Thanks for all the great ideas!
  • hilly510
    hilly510 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti sauce sounds good. I will have to try that.
    If you put it on pizza, will it not get "burned" or just totally dried up?

Not at all. I usually put it closer to the sauce (either under the sauce or under the cheese) to make sure it gets nice and wilty, but putting it on top of the cheese with the rest of the toppings doesn't dry it out at all. My bf loves to over-cook food so our pizzas are in the oven for like 30 minutes and the spinach is never crunchy.
  • neenie122
    neenie122 Posts: 10
    Options
    Sautéed in garlic & olive oil. I also make spinach salad with olive oil, lemon juice, and little sea salt.
  • maroonmango211
    maroonmango211 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I love wilting some spinach in my soups just as they are about to be served, I find it adds great flavour along with its other benefits.
  • lesteidel
    lesteidel Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Spinach pie, spinach dip, spinach quiche, add it to soups, sauté with garlic and onion as a side for your main dish, in a salad, in your pasta dishes, in a casserole with cream of mushroom, spinach, chicken, broccoli, and cheese. (Not completely low cal, but yummy in moderation)
  • Okapi42
    Okapi42 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    If I have leftover rice, I like to make a simple lunch out of it with some beans (watch the sodium in tinned ones) and spinach. I just put it all in a tupperware box and microwave for two minutes at work. Might need a little of your favourite sauce, or a spoonful of cream cheese or sour cream.
  • DownsizingAaron
    DownsizingAaron Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    If you are hesitant about a green smoothie (I love them) - just make a fruit smoothie or protein smoothie and throw in a big bunch of spinach - you won't even know it is in there.

Agree.