What type of runner are you?

Options

Replies

• Daisy471
    Daisy471 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Slow and I prefer 10k's. I don't know if you would call that distance or not (at least compared to my husband who is a marathoner). I am running a half marathon in a few weeks.
  • suncluster
    suncluster Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    I have always been a fast, mid-distance runner. Junior -> high school ran 1/4 mile and mile relay.
    I have always admired the long-distance and ultra marathoners. I always had the will but I was plagued by knee injuries in my younger days.

Now I am 40 and my knee is better than it has been in my entire life:happy: :happy: :happy:.
    I am slowly working toward longer and longer distances. Every week I challenge myself to "just one more mile" while maintaining my pace. This week it is 7.

I also do "hill" runs and speed intervals. Incredibally hard but they make me stronger. :sad: :love:
    I am very excited to run on an track soon too as the ice is melting fast!

I have a 5K, 10K, and 1/2 marathon planned for this summer.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    I'm a 0km runner at the moment due to VMO. Normally though I'm a 10km a day runner
  • pamperedhen
    pamperedhen Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I usually run 3 miles when I run. I want to increase this to 5 miles by the end of this fall.:smile:
  • andibenoit
    andibenoit Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    The kind that can't but wish she could! I have been doing the C25K and I am on week 7, feeling like I need back it up or just start all over. I have been successful so far but feel like I am not ready for running as long as it tells me to, may just not be cut out for it

Don't give up. If you've been successful thus far, you're doing it right.
  • kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,975 Member
    Options
    I plod along slowly but would rather do that then try to dash for short distances. I was up to 8-9 miles last year at this time and then suffered an ankle injury. I rehabbed it with Bikram Yoga and now am back to running and at present have run 6 miles, 4.5 miles, and 2.5 miles in 3 runs last week and will be out again this week pushing for more distance. I am registered for the Broad Street Run in Philly in May (10 miles) and am considering 2 other races prior to that.
  • andibenoit
    andibenoit Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Full time member of the Giant Turtle Running Team. 8 miles is my longest run so far, 4-6 is normal training runs, and I have plans for a half marathon this year.
  • jchadden42
    jchadden42 Posts: 189
    Options
    I used to count myself as a sprinter. Then, I was was a middle of the road runner. I don't know when "It's just a short 4-mile run today. I'll be back in 30 min," became part of my vocabulary, but it somehow has. I ran a 5K in 21:08 a couple of weeks ago. My 1/2 marathon pace is about 8 mph.

I think what has helped me is that I also swim. I started out swimming fast but only short distances. Now, I'm able to swim laps for 40 min. without stopping.
  • davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    Currently training for a 50-mile ultramarathon but already looking forward to getting back to those events where I am strongest: 5K to 10K.
  • bootsiejayne
    bootsiejayne Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Depends on what's chasing me.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Still not entirely comfortable describing myself as a runner :)

I'm most comfortable going longer, so most mideweek sessions are in the 8-10k range with longer at weekends. Working towards half marathon distance. I'm finding that I enjoy off-road.
  • czmmom
    czmmom Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I am a distance runner I guess. My favorite distance is a 15K even though I have done some half marathons and will be doing my first(and possibly only) full marathon this fall.
  • Sarah4fitness
    Sarah4fitness Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I'm a trail runner. I run on trails in parks. When they get too steep and I feel like I'm going to die, I'm an uphill hiker and flats/downhill runner. I get to see all the scenery. :)
  • running_free_1984
    running_free_1984 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Just did my first half with a stomach bug/ virus ... I was set for 1 hr 50 but got 2 hrs 14, mixed feelings!!
  • SarahCW1979
    SarahCW1979 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I run like the winded. I've been 'running' for a little over a month now after my husband said there was "no fricken way" I could ever run 10k.... Yeah, I fell for that little nugget of reversed psychology and signed up for a 10k.... smart move, right?
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I would like to list myself amongst those claiming to be both a sprinter and a distance runner.
    I can and do run long distances -- 6,7,8 miles.
    But, temperamentally, I am a sprinter. I was always very fast so i got positive reinforcement for it. I played soccer for years, which is about sprinting. Even when I run long distances, I always finish with a sprint, and I prefer running really steep hills for 30 minutes -- because it is a bit like sprinting in that you push hard with your legs and your lungs open up -- to slogging along on flat ground for an hour and a half.
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    I'm a slow distance runner. I love completing half marathons, but my race pace is generally 11 min/mile to 12:45 min/mile. But I always finish! :happy:
  • krawhitham
    krawhitham Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    I've been a mid distance runner (400m) most of my life. Now that I'm trying to lose weight, slow and steady is my game. I'm turning into a long, slow distance runner :)
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Reluctant.
    Was a decent sprinter but always hated any distance over 200m.

C25K is my idea of hell and wouldn't work for me - slow running kills my damaged knees. When I trained for a 5k I did it purely by running intervals until I got the fitness level to run the full distance at a reasonable speed.

Only run infrequently as training for my sports.
  • becs3578
    becs3578 Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Ran on and off for a few years.. NOT WELL... and Then started crossfit Feb 2013. Jan 2014 I took up runnin again. The only running I did in 2013 was during crossfit if it was part of the WOD.

Since Jan 3rd I have been running 4 days a week just about. I am now running about 20 to 22 miles a week. And Sunday I ran 11 miles for the first time! And Friday my first sub30 5k. Have a race this weekend (5K) so hoping to get a sub30 officially.

Think the body is stronger from the crossfit so the running is easier this time around.

10k in April, and a HM in October.