Macros and building muscle?

Options
I'm working on trying to burn fat and build more muscle. I've lost some weight since graduating from college, now I'm working on becoming more toned and changing my body composition. In the past few weeks, I've switched from a 1200 calorie diet and cardio centered exercise plan to 1645 calories and strength training.

On a typical day I tend to eat about 15-17% protein, 40% carbs and 36-40% fats. (This is not intentional, just a pattern that I've noticed through my food log). I stick with healthy fats for the most part, (olive oil, nuts, nut butters), but it still seems to be too high of a percentage. Will that affect my strength training or my goals of toning up?

I also really struggle to eat my full calorie intake requirement (I usually have about 300 left over, after exercise). I'm used to such a tightly restricted diet, I just don't know how to fill up the rest of those calories with good things?

I'm not really trying to "lose weight" necessarily, because I'm not sure that I need to. I'm within a healthy weight range (137lbs. 5'5") and I've been steady at this weight for some time (well over a year). I could do to lose some fat though - I'm at 26% body fat. I was slightly overweight as a child up through my freshman year of college, so I'm really wanting to tighten up a lot of areas that have gotten smaller but not leaner - and work on toning/sculpting.

I'm also a vegetarian. I get loads of mixed answers as far as how much protein I actually need to be getting. I usually hit MFP's recommended intake every day, so I'm still not sure why my macros are so off.

Any advice would be awesome!

Replies

• No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    the only macro i focus on hitting a goal is protein.

i try to get about a gram per lbs of lean body mass
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    If you are eating at a deficet you wont build muscle...

My protien is set at 1g of protien for every pound of LBM...so about 120g a day.

The protien is to help in the repair of the muscle from lifting.

MFP macros are set to the minimums.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Your protein goal seems low, but I don't like looking at percentages, I look at grams. As per above, I try to get at least 1g per pound of lean muscle mass (that's about 135g as a minimum for me).

That said, fats don't make you fat, so try to hit your calorie goal and eat foods that keep you feeling satiated and that you will be able to live on long term. Some people eat a ton of fat (keto diets are fat based), others eat a ton of carbs, and others mostly protein.

If you are looking to up your protein, here's a list of good sources including vegetarian and vegan sources:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/926789-protein-sources
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    I second the protein requirement -- 1 g per 1 lb of LBM or 0.7 g per 1 lb body weight is what I've seen to help with body recomp. If you're an athlete, I've seen it as high as 1 g per lb body weight.