How “Clean Eating” Made Me Fat-Article

Options

Replies

• TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Aren't you the same guy who posted the "cardio makes you fat" thread?
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    Yep
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I don't see that it's much different than other "it's not my fault I got fat" articles. Choosing to believe unrealistic claims of 'eat all you want an still lose weight' is just as ridiculous no matter what diet you follow or what supplements you take.
  • Spartan_Chick
    Options
    I think this was a great article. This is why "diets" often fail. Losing weight isn't typically a matter of eliminating or adding certain foods, it is controlling the amounts of food while still getting the correct nutrients. It's difficult and has to be a matter of lifestyle, not something you do for a certain period of time and expect to maintain whatever progress you've made once you stop.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    I don't see that it's much different than other "it's not my fault I got fat" articles. Choosing to believe unrealistic claims of 'eat all you want an still lose weight' is just as ridiculous no matter what diet you follow or what supplements you take.
    This!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    so in
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

I assume you didn't read the article?
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

Eric posts a wealth of interesting things.

The cardio makes you fat thread was, however, particularly awesome with all the panties it twisted. Especially since I'd guess 75% of people didn't read it.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

The cardio makes you fat thread was, however, particularly awesome with all the panties it twisted. Especially since I'd guess 75% of people didn't read it.

As will more than likely occur with this :)
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Nice :).
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    If Eric is the guy in the picture, I'm going to read the article cuz he looks like he's doing it right.
  • a_stronger_me13
    a_stronger_me13 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    In for butthurt and eventual IIFYM vs. clean eating debate.

Thank you for sharing, OP! Excellent read.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Great read. Hopefully people make it all the way to the part where he still mostly eats lean protein and veggies and eats other foods he enjoys in moderate amounts. I have a feeling there will be lots of people going crazy just based on the title of the article. Also, goes to show that intuitive eating does not work for everyone.

And in for the craziness.
  • thatjosiegirl
    thatjosiegirl Posts: 362 Member
    Options

+100
  • eric_sg61
    Options

If I really wanted to tick people off I would post a link to the T-Nation article that came out today called "The Jogging Delusion".
  • eric_sg61
    Options
    Where in the article does he say "eat all you want and still lose weight". He eats what he wants within his calorie and macro goals.
  • EmoJew
    EmoJew Posts: 94 Member
    Options

If I really wanted to tick people off I would post a link to the T-Nation article that came out today called "The Jogging Delusion".

I enjoyed that one today. And infact the one you linkied also.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Where in the article does he say "eat all you want and still lose weight". He eats what he wants within his calorie and macro goals.
    I think she was referring to how he ate back when he was on the paleo diet. He ate too much; he gained weight.
  • MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    For the tl:dr crowd (which I should have been in this time) - clean over eating will make you fat.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I think she was referring to how he ate back when he was on the paleo diet. He ate too much; he gained weight.

Exactly. From the article:

"See, because of Paleo’s lack of accounting for calories, and it’s tendency to recommend low-carb, but higher-fat food sources, my calorie intake was through the roof. As I’d not been allowed some of my favourite foods like oats, rice, cottage cheese, beans and bread, I’d compensated by filling up on more of the foods I was allowed. End result = a “healthy” diet that had made me overweight."

I don't see how thinking you can eat unlimited amounts and lose weight as long as you follow Paleo (which is arguably not the same as "clean eating") is much different than believing you can eat all like and lose with anything else. It all shows a lack of common sense.