ADVICE please....getting really strong as well as fit

Options
ValGogo
ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
OK, I'm not new to fitness, not really, but I have a question.....

I've always been lean, relatively tight but not monster rock hard. My legs were pretty strong with good definition in the quads, but again, not monster, rock climber hard.

I don't care much for numbers but if I have to put a number on it, I'd like to get down to 175 for my 5'9" large-ish frame. I mean large because I think I'm bigger than medium.

The question is, I want to get strong as well as tight. I'd like to be fit, and trim and a little bit cut. It's not hard for me but I've never gone out of my way to actually try for the "look" if you know what I mean. I'm 46 and right now I'm at 238.

Do y'all think it's possible if I'm very careful with my food intake, meaning good carbs, proteins, lean fats in, not depriving but not over-indulging in things I know will hold me back as well as a good exercise regimen that I will be able to get that healthy, I take care of myself look that I've always had and loved only a little more muscly? I eat lots of good things, I'm familiar with nutrition and I don't have "sweet teeth" or any of those make believe addicitons. I do have a weakness for crusty bread and bagels and I will cut them out, althought it will be hard and I will be sad about it :cry: , but I'll get over it.

Replies

• _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    No need to cut anything but calories. Eat a slight deficit with ~50 grams fat, 1 gram protein per pound of lean body mass, and the rest carbs. Try to get 2 or 3 full body workouts of compound lifts per week and be patient.
    The best results for me have been when I set a calorie goal, do not eat back exercise calories, and honestly track everything. Look at weekly averages over a month or 2 for calories and weight, not daily fluctuations.
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    I got a good chuckle reading "lean fats".
  • FrauMama
    FrauMama Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I got a good chuckle reading "lean fats".

Me, too. I'm a big fan of fat fats, personally! ;)

It sounds like we have similar builds, and I think you can definitely achieve the look you want. Don't be afraid of heavy weights, don't waste too much time on steady state cardio.
    I agree with pretty much everything Benjamin said, though I choose to limit processed foods and carbohydrates (that is a personal decision based on my genetics, health issues--or keeping health issues at bay-- and preferences for amount of daily acceptable bloat AND diet history/experimentation). You can find the balance that works for you *without feeling deprived...your goals are certainly achievable!

Good luck!
  • BarbellApprentice
    BarbellApprentice Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I started at nearly 230 at 5'10" with a medium frame a little over 2 years ago. Have been in the 170s for about 9 months, and I do have a binge happy sweet tooth. Pretty much what Ben said..eat at a slight deficit. Weigh, measure, & log everything. Do some sort of resistance training.