Heart Rate Monitor

Options
2»

Replies

• TigAmv1
    TigAmv1 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Last year I had a Garmin to track my calories but it was super bulky because I got the one with GPS tracking on it for outdoor runs. A couple of months ago I bought the Polar FT7 from Amazon and LOVE IT. The chest strap clips on the side instead of the back so it's way easier to put on. I can't feel it when I wear it and exercise and the watch part of it is light and barely noticeable compared to the bulky Garmin one I was using before. It works great and I love it. Definitely helps me track my calories burned when I do my T25 exercise or use my treadmill. Hope this helps!
  • arheasn
    arheasn Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Before buying a heart rate monitor, I have a few questions I haven't seen addressed here or on the websites I've checked.

1) Do the electrodes use adhesive of any type to attach to the skin? Not interested in aggravating my adhesive allergies if this is the case.

2) I have always had problems wearing watches; I seem to have something that kills the batteries or messes up the clockworks in a very short period of time. Believe me, I have tried many times over the last 35+ years to find a watch that will last longer than a couple of months when in contact with my skin. Is there anyone else out there with this issue and how have you found it to affect the HRM of your choice?

Thanks for the discussions here and the links for researching the products.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Before buying a heart rate monitor, I have a few questions I haven't seen addressed here or on the websites I've checked.

1) Do the electrodes use adhesive of any type to attach to the skin? Not interested in aggravating my adhesive allergies if this is the case.

2) I have always had problems wearing watches; I seem to have something that kills the batteries or messes up the clockworks in a very short period of time. Believe me, I have tried many times over the last 35+ years to find a watch that will last longer than a couple of months when in contact with my skin. Is there anyone else out there with this issue and how have you found it to affect the HRM of your choice?

1 - No, not like lab monitors which is for different purpose. Though getting a good signal can be problematic if skin stays dry.

2 - If you think there is something with your electrical field messes up watches, it ain't going to allow a HR sensor to read correctly either.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    If $50 is a stretch, forget it.

Even the cheaper Polar's everyone is recommending (FT5/FT7) isn't going to be that accurate, especially as you get fit fast.
    Fatal flaw - no VO2max stat to self-test or enter in.

They assume VO2max based on your BMI status (healthy to unhealthy, based on age and gender), and while some may luck out and fall correctly in that range, the majority won't, especially on a site about losing weight and getting fit.

Guess which one happens first between those two?

And besides, as one other poster mentioned above - wrong tool for your desired workout.

The formula in HRM's for calorie burn is about steady-state aerobic, same HR for 2-4 min.

Your planned workout is totally non-steady state, therefore inflated calorie burns, and dips in to the anaerobic zone often, also an reason for inflated.

So for you stated reason of accuracy - forget it.

Invest in a good scale for weighing your food.

Log correctly for 1 month.

Then your weight loss and your amount actually eaten on average will tell you what your TDEE, or total day maintenance is. Then you adjust your eating goal to stay reasonable from there.

Just confirm you eat enough, more is better than too little, while still having a deficit.
  • arheasn
    arheasn Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Thank you for taking the time to reply heybales. I think for now I'll just stick with counting my pulse as I have been doing for a long time and trying to make sure I'm at least moving every day.
  • Shell_1384
    Shell_1384 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    BUMP - I'm considering buying a HRM, too. Thanks for all the info everyone!
  • DSTMT
    DSTMT Posts: 417 Member
    Options

That used to happen to me all the time as a kid, I killed every watch I had within a few days, and they'd never work again after lol. Weird thing is, when I switched wearing them from my left arm to my right, it never happened again. Now I just have a tendency to turn overhead street lights on or off if they're flickering already when I walk under them lol