The myfitnesspal estimated weight loss time frame...

Options
Hi! So I just joined this week and I have been eating 1200+ calories like this site says to and eating back exercise cals. I discovered the little red number at the end of each entry yesterday which says the approximate weight you will be in five weeks. My goal is 130 and I am currently 5'9'' 141. It says it will take me five weeks to lose 10 lbs.. This week alone I have lost 5 pounds in 3 days and it seems to still be going at that rate as I'm done eating for the day and only weigh 141 which means I'll be about 139-140 tomorrow morning. I don't feel starved at all. I have barely been hungry. My question is for the people who stuck with this site and went beyond the five weeks... How accurate is the weight estimate? And do you find you actually lose more? Thanks :).

Also I feel the estimate is wrong because even though I am so new I am very thin already and I'm losing at double the expected rate. I thought skinny people were supposed to lose slower?

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Hi! So I just joined this week and I have been eating 1200+ calories like this site says to and eating back exercise cals. I discovered the little red number at the end of each entry yesterday which says the approximate weight you will be in five weeks. My goal is 130 and I am currently 5'9'' 141. It says it will take me five weeks to lose 10 lbs.. This week alone I have lost 5 pounds in 3 days and it seems to still be going at that rate as I'm done eating for the day and only weigh 141 which means I'll be about 139-140 tomorrow morning. I don't feel starved at all. I have barely been hungry. My question is for the people who stuck with this site and went beyond the five weeks... How accurate is the weight estimate? And do you find you actually lose more? Thanks :).

Also I feel the estimate is wrong because even though I am so new I am very thin already and I'm losing at double the expected rate. I thought skinny people were supposed to lose slower?

You are right, the "estimate" is wrong. The closer you get to goal....the slower you lose weight. I think you may have "helped" MFP come up with the wrong estimate. MFP has a lowest default number.........1200. If you set a too aggressive weekly goal......MFP will give you 1200. This does not mean you can reach your aggressive weekly goal...even at 1200 calories.

Try putting in a weekly goal or 1/2 pound.....you will very likely get more than 1200 calories & a more accurate estimation. Losing weight slower gives you a better chance at retaining lean muscle mass.
  • melissarmonroe
    melissarmonroe Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I find it's not right either. It's just a guesstimate, and plus every body loses differently and some may be muscle building as well so you may gain and not lose.

For me, I am actually at the weight it told me I'd be at in five weeks about a week ago "if every day were like today." Some days I will be down 8-10 pounds in 5 weeks some days I will be down 5. I really don't give that any credence at all to be honest.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    The guesstimate MFP gives you is based on calories you ate on any given day vs. its estimate of your average energy expenditure. It doesn't take into account water retention, solid waste retention, etc. In my case, my BMR seems to be a little under the estimate, so the predicted loss is too optimistic. For others, it might be pessimistic.
  • suncluster
    suncluster Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    It was pretty funny that during my first week on MFP it estimated my weight to be >20 pounds less in 5 weeks. Since then MFP has got a lot smarter and it hovers around 8pounds now.

Interesting data is all it is.
  • kelseyfiable
    kelseyfiable Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    even if it's not all that accurate, for those of us who have a larger amount to lose, it's pretty motivating!!