Targeting stomach area

2»

Replies

• RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    I have to disagree on the calorie deficit thing....I think workouts help the target areas. You just have to find the exercise that works best for you.

You disagree on a caloric deficit helping reduce BF%, and believe that you can spot reduce/target areas for fat loss?

IySPC.gif
  • yewbic
    yewbic Posts: 37
    there are some studies that suggest that Very Low Carbohydrate Ketogenic diets (VLCK) can help target abdominal fat and "trunk fat loss."

i've read a few of them and dont have the links to all of them right now, but here is one:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC538279/?report=reader#!po=2.08333
    A novel and potentially clinically significant finding was a preferential loss of fat in the trunk region with a VLCK diet, which was approximately three-fold greater during the VLCK than the LF diet.
    In summary, this study showed greater weight loss and fat loss preferentially from the trunk region in subjects on a closely monitored free-living VLCK diet compared to a LF diet. These diets were prescribed to be energy restricted and isocaloric. The superiority of the VLCK diet over the LF diet was most dramatic for men, but when individual responses were examined, a group of women clearly showed metabolic advantage as well. Indeed, 12/13 women experienced greater fat loss in the trunk region during the VLCK diet compared to the low-fat diet. Such a response is consistent with a metabolic advantage of VLCK diets. The ultimate proof for such a theory will depend on the findings from carefully controlled feeding and metabolic studies that encompass physiological measurements to isolate plausible mechanisms.

in the conclusion it states: "This study shows a clear benefit of a VLCK over LF diet for short-term body weight and fat loss, especially in men. A preferential loss of fat in the trunk region with a VLCK diet is novel and potentially clinically significant but requires further validation."

While it does say that the preferential loss in the trunk area is potentially clinically significant but requires further validation, there are several other studies that draw the same conclusion, and such correlations between different studies should not be so easily dismissed.