I hate sodium

msarro
msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
edited September 18 in Food and Nutrition
Seriously, it seems darn near impossible to get less than 3000mg a day no matter what I do. Anyone else running into the same problem?

Replies

• msarro
    Seriously, it seems darn near impossible to get less than 3000mg a day no matter what I do. Anyone else running into the same problem?
  • abbychelle07
    abbychelle07 Posts: 656 Member
    Yep, but I make most of my meals at home, so I can control it a little more. But any days that I eat pre-packaged stuff or go out to a restaurant, yikes! Keep trying.
  • ali106
    ali106 Posts: 3,754 Member
    lots of veggies and fruits....I hate sodium too and I am sure it hates me right back ....ie...bloat-city! sigh

hugs!
    Ali
  • Yeah, I have my food diary to show sodium and I almost always go over! Ugh!!!
  • wriglucy
    wriglucy Posts: 1,064 Member
    Wow..really? I was diagnosed with high blood pressure in January, so I really started to watch what I ate. And....honestly, I'm under now...always. I broke the salt habit, you can too!!
  • msarro
    Yeah, the biggest offenders I've found are subway (I have a 6" subway sub for lunch), and then dinner I normally have soup.

Both, combined with the occasional snacks and breakfast always seem to go over 3k. Its still better than 'the average american' but still, I want to keep it under 3k at least.
  • lilnatn2
    lilnatn2 Posts: 55 Member
    I know that I eat way more sodium than I probably should...I just love salt, but I am trying to cut back. I've been wondering...does it make it any better that I also drink tons of water and sweat, like, a ton during my workouts? Or does that not matter....?
  • msarro
    I think the sodium still will affect your heart unless you take in a large amount of potassium to counter it... I'm still trying to find more about that myself.
  • :blushing: If you have an affection for salt like I do , you can always give "NoSalt" a try. It's Okay but be warned if you use to much it makes your food taste disgusting :sick:
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    I've gotten mine to under 2000 mg a day pretty much but you almost have to give up processed type foods and cut down on eating out. Fresh foods you cook yourself--and don't add salt until after you cook it!
  • mkeithley
    mkeithley Posts: 399
    I've gotten mine to under 2000 mg a day pretty much but you almost have to give up processed type foods and cut down on eating out. Fresh foods you cook yourself--and don't add salt until after you cook it!

I rarely eat proc. foods either, Mrs. Dash has a whole bunch of seasonings that are supposed to be salt free. I've only used the original and table blend. I don't cook with salt, it's not even in the little salt shaker on the table, I use diff. spices when I cook. I'm growing my own now so I can use fresh herbs when I cook.
  • KrisKabob
    KrisKabob Posts: 1,250 Member
    I've never tracked sodium... maybe I should. :huh:
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    here's a good article on sodium from the mayo clinic.
    with some info on avoiding sodium.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/sodium/NU00284
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    I drink sooooo much water during the day, that I don't really pay attention to my sodium intake. Probably should though. :ohwell:
  • I cook most meals at home..and then pack up the leftovers immediately to take for my lunch. Saves money and keeps my sodium to about 1400 mg. Anytime I take 'quick foods' it goes much higher, but I rarely go over 3000mg. If you have the luxury of being able to take your lunch that may help.
  • Took me a few months of tweaking my diet but I've been eating a low sodium diet for about 3 years now. Cooking at home is key. Find good veggie casseroles. And look at labels of everything. My favorite hot chocolate mix has risen recently. Soup is a killer. Low sodium products are a joke for the most part. Imagine makes low sodium broth which really is low. I buy it at Kroger. Haven't found it anywhere else around here. Want chips? Buy tortillas, cut and bake in the oven. Let your sodium come from whatever dip you have. Just measure out the dip beforehand so you don't overdo it. I put myself on a 2,000/day sodium allowance until my blood pressure was under control. Now it's probably 2-3,000/day. It can be done, you can do it! It just takes a lot of planning and counting in the beginning.
  • shorerider
    I drink sooooo much water during the day, that I don't really pay attention to my sodium intake. Probably should though. :ohwell:

Just make sure that your "output" is matching your "input"--if you know what I mean. If your sodium intake is too high, you will retain fluid. I can tell now by how often I "go" if I need to drink more or cut out the sodium for the day.
  • barefootbabe
    barefootbabe Posts: 271 Member
    I have very low blood pressure - does this mean I should eat more sodium, or simply that I don't have to worry too much if I do go over?
  • shorerider
    I have very low blood pressure - does this mean I should eat more sodium, or simply that I don't have to worry too much if I do go over?

I'd say check with your doctor on that--never been my problem!
  • Kayley
    Kayley Posts: 327 Member
    I didn't have my diary to show me my goals for sodium, but when I switched my protien to sodium, I never went over once. That shocked me since when I look at food labels and see big numbers like 500 or 600, I freak. :laugh:
This discussion has been closed.