Low Carber help!

Options
I have been eating a low carb diet now for 2 full weeks. Totally clean, no cheats at all. Keeping net carbs under 20 a day. My ratio of fat to protein to carbs are perfect. I lost a few lbs the first week and then the second week put it back on and I am now exactly where I started. I have 80lbs to lose so I do not know why this is happening? Any one else experience this with low carb. I feel like my clothes are fitting better but when will the scale start moving. Same thing for my husband too. :(

Replies

• jdb3388
    jdb3388 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Have you looked into Carbohydrate Cycling rather than just a low carb diet?
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Are you still watching your calories?
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    Yeah, so...that's great that your carbs or low and all I guess but what about your overall calories?
  • sunnyeuphoria
    sunnyeuphoria Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    A lot of times people think low carb means they can eat as much as they want as long as they keep the net carbs below a certain amount... this is simply not true. It is possible to eat more calories than your body burns during the course of a day and stay below net carb amount. Regardless of where the calories come from, if you eat too many, they will add weight. Eating low carb is good for the body because it regulates blood sugar, insulin release, curbs cravings, and helps you feel full longer. It is not a magic pill that will burn more calories than any other diet, or allow you to eat more than your body needs... it just keeps your fuel burning engine efficient. Many people eating low carb over estimate portion sizes... you think you are eating a 6 oz steak but what you really have on your plate is 10 oz steak and that will add calories. Or think you are eating 1 cup of cooked broccoli when it reality you eyeballed it and its really 2 cups. Lots of things can affect weight loss on any eating program.... and while low carb does allow you to eat more real food, and stay satisfied longer, it does require sticking rather closely to the program. If you look at your journal (hopefully you are keeping one, if not, I highly recommend it so you can see what you are actually eating or possibly doing wrong), and see that all is well within limits, and you are measuring and weighing your food, then you may want to make sure you aren't getting too much protein versus fat... or that you are drinking enough water... both can cause weight gain on a low carb diet. Another reason you may have gained is monthly water fluctuations, or doing a lot of walking or exercise that has caused your muscles to retain water. Try waiting a few days and weigh again to see if that is the issue. You may not have gained at all.
  • Hovercat
    Hovercat Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Water water wateeeerrrrrr. When I stall, I'm not drinking enough water. If your pee is yellow, keep that water train going. Ketones get flushed away, encourage that flushing!
  • gingercorbett99
    gingercorbett99 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    yes, you must look at your overall calorie deficit. Also look up the thermo effect of food (the difference between 1 cup of quinoa and 1 cup of white rice for example). 10% of your total calorie expenditure is spent metabolizing food so if you eat the right foods you will can burn more calories to metabolizing those foods. Either way, don't get discouraged! Keep on going!
  • kckrahn
    kckrahn Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. My calories are 1500 per day.. Maybe 1800 on a hungry day. I drink 3-4 litres of water daily.
  • kckrahn
    kckrahn Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the advice. I feel I'm doing all of that... Maybe I am eating to much..1500 calories seems low but maybe I should do 1200.
    A lot of times people think low carb means they can eat as much as they want as long as they keep the net carbs below a certain amount... this is simply not true. It is possible to eat more calories than your body burns during the course of a day and stay below net carb amount. Regardless of where the calories come from, if you eat too many, they will add weight. Eating low carb is good for the body because it regulates blood sugar, insulin release, curbs cravings, and helps you feel full longer. It is not a magic pill that will burn more calories than any other diet, or allow you to eat more than your body needs... it just keeps your fuel burning engine efficient. Many people eating low carb over estimate portion sizes... you think you are eating a 6 oz steak but what you really have on your plate is 10 oz steak and that will add calories. Or think you are eating 1 cup of cooked broccoli when it reality you eyeballed it and its really 2 cups. Lots of things can affect weight loss on any eating program.... and while low carb does allow you to eat more real food, and stay satisfied longer, it does require sticking rather closely to the program. If you look at your journal (hopefully you are keeping one, if not, I highly recommend it so you can see what you are actually eating or possibly doing wrong), and see that all is well within limits, and you are measuring and weighing your food, then you may want to make sure you aren't getting too much protein versus fat... or that you are drinking enough water... both can cause weight gain on a low carb diet. Another reason you may have gained is monthly water fluctuations, or doing a lot of walking or exercise that has caused your muscles to retain water. Try waiting a few days and weigh again to see if that is the issue. You may not have gained at all.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. My calories are 1500 per day.. Maybe 1800 on a hungry day. I drink 3-4 litres of water daily.

maybe a bit much food, many LC eaters eat less than that "ad lib" and here's what the author's of an Atkins book suggest as a profile :-
    b5df7242d9193ca0f073e9dcb05c37dd.jpg
  • sunnyeuphoria
    sunnyeuphoria Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Ive been eating low carb for about a year now, and have lost the majority of the 100+ lbs Ive lost doing low carb. I have learned that many things can affect what the scale says... not drinking enough water, working out too much, getting too many calories, not getting enough.... the human body is a curious thing. The important thing is to research and fully understand what you are doing, and then just do it. As long as the scale goes down over time, and you lose inches, you don't have to worry about little rises on the scale. I have read in numerous places that to lose weight you need to drink an ounce of fluid for every 1.5 pounds you weigh each day. (that would be about a gallon a day for a 170 lb person) That includes water, and any other uncaffeinated drinks you have throughout the day. I thought it seemed odd at first that I would need to drink so much, but if you are doing it correctly, you are going to be thirsty almost constantly.... and you get into the habit of drinking a lot. I stalled for a while and in the process of trying to figure out why, I started losing again when I upped my fluid intake. All I know for sure is that when it comes to losing weight.... slow and steady wins the race... and the body knows what its doing and will do as it wants. I really hope you find success and see a loss soon!