Dehydration?

Options
I've noticed that while I drink a lo of water - definitely the recommended 8 glasses a day - I'm also constantly thirsty, and tend to get cracked lips. It's not diabetes - I've been tested for that - and it doesn't seem to matter how much I drink. I end up just having to go to the loo more.

I think it might be to do with the fact that every single night, I wake up soaked in sweat - don't know what's causing that, either - but surely, it wouldn't dehydrate me that badly?

Any ideas? Anyone have the same problem?

Replies

• hatsumi141
    hatsumi141 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Are you very active during the day? At night? Do you eat a lot of salty foods? It can depend on a lot of factors.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem when I was taking Zoloft - sertraline. Dry, cracking lips, dry, flaky skin, and waking up with night sweats. Is that (or another SSRI) possibly a factor?
  • hatsumi141
    Options
    Even certain aspirins can cause dehydration symptoms.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    Night sweats can be a symptom of several different illnesses or conditions such as low blood sugar, menopause or other hormonal disturbances or even cancer. If it continues, consult an MD.
    It could also be too warm of a room or too many blankets.
  • lorigrocks
    lorigrocks Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I am having the exact same problem...dry lips and skin, night sweats and drinking alot of water but still my mouth is always dry...I have no idea why but got some blood work done so hopefully will know soon.
  • Okapi42
    Okapi42 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I do know I have hormonal issues - but it can't possibly be menopause, I've only just turned 30!
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    I do know I have hormonal issues - but it can't possibly be menopause, I've only just turned 30!

wanna bet! It surely could be menopause, sure it's unlikely but "can't possibly be" is not accurate either. Premature menopause or premature ovarian failure are two valid possibilities!
  • hatsumi141
    Options

wanna bet! It surely could be menopause, sure it's unlikely but "can't possibly be" is not accurate either. Premature menopause or premature ovarian failure are two valid possibilities!

Hopefully not though :)
  • coolblondenerd
    coolblondenerd Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    It could also just be insufficient electrolytes. You can drink all the water you want and if you don't have the electrolytes to retain it (a healthy amount obviously), it will just pass through your body and not do it's work. Some people might recommend sport drinks but if you hate soft drinks like me, or just find them wickedly unhealthy, here's some articles with some alternatives that will help replace them:

http://www.fitbie.com/slideshow/5-foods-help-replenish-electrolytes

http://skinnyms.com/re-hydrate-with-electrolytes-healthy-alternatives-to-sports-drinks/
  • Okapi42
    Okapi42 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I'll give those a try!