Today I learned that I weigh nearly 400lb

Options
MattyFTM
MattyFTM Posts: 68 Member
I've been using MFP for around two months now, mostly ignoring the community section, but today I feel like sharing. Despite the fact that I have been improving my lifestyle and trying to lose weight, I didn't actually know how heavy I was. I had always estimated that I was around 360-370lb. I knew I was very, very heavy and needed to do something about it. I purchased a set of scales in order to track my progress, but they refused to weigh me. I had suspected it may have been because I was over the 400lb weight limit of the scales, but didn't know for sure.

Today I stepped on them in a hope that it would give me a number, instead of the usual "Err" error message. I looked down and it said 180.9 KG. That's just shy of 399lb. And you know what, I'm pretty happy about that. Firstly, it means I have definitely succeeded in losing weight. I was over 400, I'm now under 400. That's progress. And now I can directly measure my progress going forward. I'm really happy that I can finally weigh myself regularly and properly measure my progress.

I know I've still got a long hill to climb, but I'm ready for it. My current strategy is simply calorie restriction. I'm still eating far too many processed foods, and eating too many unhealthy snacks, but I'm keeping my overall calorie consumption down. I do plan on cutting down on the overly processed, high sodium foods in my diet, but I'm taking everything one step at a time. Trying to do too much in one go is a recipe for failure. I'm making small, sustainable lifestyle changes one step at a time. I'm making progress and I'm absolutely thrilled about that.

If you're in a similar situation, have been in the past, or even if you just want to be generally supportive, feel free to add me as a friend on MFP!!!

Replies

• lucille_heather
    lucille_heather Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    awww well done hun.
    that sounds amazing, defiantly sounds like your working hard!
    keep it up!! so good to see results and keep yourself motivated :smile:
  • audaciousred
    Options
    Great Job - Having good mental focus is 75% of the battle if you ask me! Keep on tracking your calories - great inspiration for me.
  • denveracoury
    Options
    You should take pictures! You'll want to be able to look back and see how far you've come on bad days! On days I feel like I'm heavier than usual ill look back at where I started. Good luck I know you're feeling I started around 300 pounds and I'm just starting to calorie count but I've made it to around the 270s just watching what I eat and moving a little more
  • MscGray
    MscGray Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Nice Job!!!! Keep up the positive attitude and great work! So far I have found the community so helpful, even if your not actively posting just reading some of the post helps inspire you to work harder and stay dedicated!
  • PinUp2014
    PinUp2014 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    WOOT!! Great job!

And I second the photos thing. They will hurt to take, mine made me very sad. However, when you're feeling down, you can compare the now to the then....and then share the insane progress to the rest of MFP struggling with the process.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    Well done!!

One change at a time was how I did it, as well. And you know what - it works! Go get it!
  • candrusiak
    candrusiak Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I started off the same way. Back on January 3rd of 2013 I was shocked to learn that I was 390lbs! You can see the progress that I've made.

Stick to the plan, measure EVERYTHING and make sure you celebrate your victories.

YOU CAN DO IT!
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are doing all the right things! Slowly making changes will mean you are much more successful in the long run. Do you best to start incorporating fresh food and you will get to your goal! Sounds like you reached your first milestone, now what is #2?! :)
  • SharlynB14
    SharlynB14 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm new to MFP and your post is inspiring. Thank you for sharing your story and I hope you'll find lots of support here!
  • EJOY1988
    EJOY1988 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    How awesome, great job! And I completely agree with the pics. It was definitely a big help for me. Every time I wanted to give up, I would just go back and look at the picture, and even when I only saw a little progress it still helped me keep on track. I still have a little ways to go myself, so I know how frustrating it can be. But just take it one step, one day at a time. As they say, slow and steady wins the race. It took me a couple years to realize this, but afterwards it has become easier over time and I'm actually keeping it off this time. I'm not saying it's easy, just easier... just keep a positive attitude and you can accomplish anything. Good luck!!! :)
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    You should take pictures! You'll want to be able to look back and see how far you've come on bad days! On days I feel like I'm heavier than usual ill look back at where I started. Good luck I know you're feeling I started around 300 pounds and I'm just starting to calorie count but I've made it to around the 270s just watching what I eat and moving a little more
    absolutely agree... pictures, pictures, pictures.... even if you don't want to look at them now. Take them monthly and one day soon you'll be able to see the progress the days you feel you haven't made any! Don't miss the chance like some have to take 'before' photos.

Also very true about much of it being mental also good idea on doing moderation and then getting a handle on that, then find fitness that works for you.

You're doing great Hon!:heart::drinker:
  • toadg53
    toadg53 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Good for you. You've definitely come to the right place. You will find a lot of good people and support here. Slow and sure wins the race, and sounds like you're off to a very good start. I'll gladly be your friend for support and encouragement. EDIT: I didn't take pictures, becuz I hated the way I looked, but I did do measurements. Since I started my journey with MFP, I have lost a total of 39 1/2 inches. When I think that I've lost over a YARD on my body, that just boggles my mind. It's hard to imagine. But that's good !!! So I would definitely encourage you to do that ... that AND the pix like everybody else said. Good luck!!
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    Yay! I love your attitude! :D
    I look forward to reading more of your stories gong forward!
  • sufferlandrian
    sufferlandrian Posts: 8,244 Member
    Options
    Nicely done. :-) Keep it up and don't worry about the set backs from time to time. A journey is not measured in how many times we fell down. It's measured in how far we got in the end.
  • BaconBit
    BaconBit Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Well that's just friggin AWESOME ! GO you GO you
  • MsValerieAnne
    MsValerieAnne Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Great job, that's a great mindset as well.
  • DoctahJenn
    DoctahJenn Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    I would LOVE to support you through this, because I'm honestly inspired by your post. :)
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    I'm excited for you and wish you continued great success:flowerforyou:
  • ehample
    ehample Posts: 19
    Options
    I started this at 350 Lbs so I know a lot about how you feel. I work in the mechanical trades and have to climb ladders and be mobile, that was getting hard. I have had a lot of success, if you would like to track along with me feel free to friend. One piece of advise. What you are doing is absolutely correct, one issue at a time. Prioritize the sodium, it causes severe retention and other health issues. Good luck.
  • ashmarie8722
    ashmarie8722 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Amazing! Such a great victory! I seriously cried happy tears for you :) Keep it up!!