Intervals

Options
spm2010
spm2010 Posts: 197 Member
I am not a runner and I know the best way to get into it is to start off slow so I don't get injured or bored. I was thinking 1 minute running alternating with 1 minute walking for 20-30 minutes 3-5 times a week. When I did this a few months ago within 2 weeks my thighs firmed up a bit but of course I got lazy and stopped and I am back where I started. Is that okay? Id love to be able to run 20-30 minutes straight but that wont happen overnight. Also, will that firm and lift the tush (along with strength training of course). Id love to lose about 4" off each thigh (all chub chub lol) and another 3-4" each of waist and hips. I was told a protein shake after this would be the best snack before bed, but I can never tell whats a good idea and whats not because there are a million different opinions out there and not everything works for everyone. TIA

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Look at the Couch to 5k program. If you want a rounder bum, heavy squats, hip thrusts and glute bridges are great. Running isn't really going to firm or lift your backside, really. Losing inches is going to come down to diet and creating a deficit, and your body will decide where you lose fat from and when.
  • Cre8veLifeR
    Cre8veLifeR Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    I love interval training for burning fat! I do it on the treadmill as well - run fast for 1 min, walk for 2, run hard for 1 min, walk for 2...it's a great way to burn fat. And yes - you do need to do some resistance training along with the interval training and you will have a lovely tush in no time at all! And yes, do follow up your workout with a recovery meal of some sort. If you are JUST doing cardio then don't worry about the protein shake unless you are hungry or need more calories - just an electrolyte drink to replenish you will be fine - especially if it's before bed. (I stop eating at 5 PM).
  • Finkerbell
    Finkerbell Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I loved C25K. I'm doing the 10k now on week 8. I'm also doing Jillian Michaels 30 day shred (22days in). Added to trying to eat right within cals/macros. I'm down 2inches from thighs - 5inches from waist. None from hips (grr lol). I do protein shakes after 30day shred (my morning work out). And sometimes in afternoon if I feel I need it.