St Petersburg/Tampa, Florida gyms?

Options
Hello,

Sorry for the very specific topic. I currently live in the UK, and will be in Florida for 8 weeks this summer doing an internship. I've been doing really well with food and gym-going so far, but a bit scared that I will let it slip when I have to live somewhere else and don't know details about the restaurants, supermarkets, etc. I'm a little bit of a detail freak!

Does anybody have any suggestions for gyms in the St Petersburg/Tampa area that will let me join for only 8 weeks, roughly 3 times a week? Right now my program includes kettlebells, cables, weight machines and cardio machines.

I've had a look on Yelp etc but the reviews seem to be all over the place.

Any general advice for supermarkets/sightseeing/unmissable food would also be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• Calfuray
    Calfuray Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Shameless bump.
  • Possible_Infinity
    Possible_Infinity Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Anytime fitness is a local chain all over the Tampabay area.

Real cheap and like the name you can go to any one anytime.

Good Luck!
  • DamianaKitten
    DamianaKitten Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Stay away from Kinetix. They're overpriced, rude, and have horrible "advice." I use the gym on MacDill when I feel the urge, so I'm not sure about any of the other gyms in the area. But, there are quite a few parks in the area if you're looking for places to run/walk.
  • mistress8956
    mistress8956 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I like the YMCA and they also include a lot of free classes with your membership
  • Calfuray
    Options
    Thank you very much guys.

Sorry for the silly question - but what IS the YMCA? In the UK it's hostels... I've looked at their website but it's very confusing, is it just a normal gym?
  • DamianaKitten
    Options

Sorry for the silly question - but what IS the YMCA? In the UK it's hostels... I've looked at their website but it's very confusing, is it just a normal gym?

http://www.stpeteymca.org/

It's a community thing. :) They have recreational activities, day cares, classes. Tons of stuff. :)
  • Calfuray
    Options

http://www.stpeteymca.org/

It's a community thing. :) They have recreational activities, day cares, classes. Tons of stuff. :)

Ah okay, thank you.

They make it really hard though, I've gone through the website and cannot find prices anywhere!
  • amygauv
    amygauv Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Tampa/ St. Petersburg is a REALLY big area lol where are you staying?

I go to YouFit. I'm a college student, intern, and waitress. I pay 20$ ( i get a free guest an it's my boyfriend so he splits the price with me) I can cancel anytime. They have a 10$ option as well minus the free guest option! I definitely suggest looking at it. If you get the 20$ price you can go to ANY youfit ( i think )
    The one I go to has kettlebells, treadmills ( about 100 lol) weights free weights machines ellipticals bikes all sorts of stuff for just 10$ a month.

If you're looking for a more expensive upscale gym with more equipment, I suggest Powerhouse Gym. It's downtown. I got a free month there and if I could, I would have stayed going to that one. They offer so much. I loved the environment and people. It literally is probably the best gym I've ever seen in the south.
  • impemberstar
    impemberstar Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Youfit! There are many locations in Tampa/ St. Pete and its a great gym. You pay month-to-month and they have awesome equipment. Its $10 a month to have access to one location, $20 if you want to go to multiple locations. Either way you can go as many times as you want and they have great hours.
  • megan1869
    megan1869 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I don't know specifically where you are going to be but LA Fitness is great! Its a little pricey but you get classes, pool access, etc. for one price!
  • amygauv
    amygauv Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I don't know specifically where you are going to be but LA Fitness is great! Its a little pricey but you get classes, pool access, etc. for one price!

do you know how much it is? I want to try it out before I graduate and the new one on Dale Mabry looks amazing
  • Calfuray
    Options
    Wow, thanks for all the responses and FR!

Problem is that the company I'm doing the internship with organises our accommodation, so I don't know exactly where I'm staying. I'll be working near the North-East, near 4th St N according to Google Maps. We've been told we will be located within a short drive of the offices :)
  • DamianaKitten
    Options
    Wow, thanks for all the responses and FR!

Problem is that the company I'm doing the internship with organises our accommodation, so I don't know exactly where I'm staying. I'll be working near the North-East, near 4th St N according to Google Maps. We've been told we will be located within a short drive of the offices :)

Over in St. Pete? That's my neighborhood! Feel free to message/friend me. I'm not sure if I'll be here this summer, but it's looking more and more likely that I will be. There are some *amazing* parks in the area, and there's a good dance studio if you're into that sort of thing.
  • Calfuray
    Options
    Over in St. Pete? That's my neighborhood! Feel free to message/friend me. I'm not sure if I'll be here this summer, but it's looking more and more likely that I will be. There are some *amazing* parks in the area, and there's a good dance studio if you're into that sort of thing.

Thanks, that's really useful :)
  • kelli_panzera
    Options
    I live off 4th Street myself. I was using youfit for a long time because it was so convenient...just a few miles over the Gandy bridge in Tampa. It's the least expensive option, and the hours of operations are pretty good, too.
  • Calfuray
    Options
    Sorry for bumping my old thread, but....

I'm now in the area! I went to the YouFit in South Tampa today and it didn't have the equipment I needed.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a gym that will let you join month-to-month, and has squat racks (unassisted), barbells, freeweights etc?