I fell off the wagon. Needing some serious encouragement.

Options
I started my journey feb 14th. I weighed myself about 4 or 5 days ago and say I lost about a good amount of weight. I weight 160 starting and when I weighed myself I was around 148... So I decided it would be safe to allow myself a treat. That kick started about 4 days of terrible eating... Completely back to my old habits... This has always been my problem... I do well and see results and allow myself a treat ''just once''. Just once turns in to just one more time and so and and so on....

Thank god this time I caught myself this time but I just looked at the scale and I gained about 4 or 5 pounds back... I am feeling very down on myself... To be honest I am kind of hating myself right now and I am so disgusted at myself I can't even look in the mirror...

I just need some encouragement right now... I would really like to weigh 130 by june... I am 153 now...

Replies

• Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Anyone with any success has fallen off the wagon a number of times. It's not how many times that you fall that matters, what matters is that you just keep going. Whenever you fall, pick yourself up, and keep on keeping on.

And be kind to yourself. Understand that this happens from time to time, and this happens to everyone. There is no need to ever feel down on yourself when you make a mistake, because being down on yourself doesn't help you when you need to get up after a fall. Be patient with yourself. This is not a race. It's a worthwhile endeavor. You are worth it.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Well it's done, stop keep doing it!

Get back on track and don't look back :flowerforyou:
  • mactaffy84
    mactaffy84 Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I hate the standard "Be Patient". Frustrating as HE**. Unfortunately, it also happens to be true. So you fell off the wagon again, so what? You caught yourself, just hop back on the horse. I don't think you will be able to lose 23 pounds in 8 weeks (DA** that patience again!), but you'll get there eventually.
  • Herbababy
    Options
    You don't want it bad enough! You can do it! Do the work, and get the results...always earn what your worth. You don't have to be strong to start, you have to start to be strong! Just remember that it doesn't get any easier, you just get better! Like Rocbola says...it's not a race, it's a worthwhile endeavor! Eventually you will just get used to it, and that's all your going to want to do because you never know how bad you feel, until you start feeling GOOD! Keep up the dedication!:smile:
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    Get up, dust yourself off, and get right back on that wagon!
  • Nickih4619093
    Nickih4619093 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Been there, done that, moved on! Don't beat yourself up about it, it won't do you any good anyways! If certain foods trigger you (as sugary/carby ones do me) then stay away from them!
  • memckemy
    memckemy Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Use this as a learning experience. What is it that derails you? Is it any treat? Or a specific treat? Is it a particular day of the week or a part of the month? Are you in a particular mood? Are you always alone or with friends? If you can figure out which part derails you, you can change it. It's not knowing that keeps it going.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Start off by ditching the "wagon". There is no wagon. Own what you eat, but don't moralize it; you did nothing "wrong".

Your choices are either bringing you closer to your goals, or further away. But every day goes in the bucket, regardless.

From painful personal experience, the worst thing I EVER did was look at weight loss as a "wagon", or a train off the "tracks", which fostered a "start tomorrow/start Monday" mentality that lead to this idea that I'd be perfectly on point tomorrow. Those tomorrows seldom came. The shame, guilt, and disillusionment that came after all those wagon falls just served to help me stay fatter longer. It's amazing what happens when you drop that mentality.
  • techgal128
    techgal128 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Hey, you're still in the green right? That's something right there. You had a "diet vacation" and now you came back. Time to get back to work!
  • naturesfempower
    naturesfempower Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I made very bad food choices for an entire week. Forgive yourself and start over. I lost everything I put on and a pound. Don't beat yourself up. There is not a perfect person anywhere on this site. ;-)
  • lardbut1960
    lardbut1960 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    mactaffy84 - Listen to this lady, she is bang on!
  • psibaby
    psibaby Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I actually applaud you for catching it so quickly and for returning to your goal. Many times the downhill slide begins with one "treat" and it doesn't stop until all of the weight is gained back plus more. So kudos to you for coming back and getting back on track.
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I started my journey feb 14th. I weighed myself about 4 or 5 days ago and say I lost about a good amount of weight. I weight 160 starting and when I weighed myself I was around 148... So I decided it would be safe to allow myself a treat. That kick started about 4 days of terrible eating... Completely back to my old habits... This has always been my problem... I do well and see results and allow myself a treat ''just once''. Just once turns in to just one more time and so and and so on....

Thank god this time I caught myself this time but I just looked at the scale and I gained about 4 or 5 pounds back... I am feeling very down on myself... To be honest I am kind of hating myself right now and I am so disgusted at myself I can't even look in the mirror...

I just need some encouragement right now... I would really like to weigh 130 by june... I am 153 now...

You've lots 12 pounds in the past six or so weeks. In reality though, about five of those were glycogen and the water it's usually stored in, so say about a pound a week of actual body weight. That's freaking awesome! And it's healthy. The five you just gained? You replenished your glycogen and water, that's all. If you want to weigh 130 on any average day, you'll need to go a little under to make up for the effect you've just experienced. So almost 30 pounds in eight/nine weeks is not a realistic or healthy goal. Slow and steady keeps you sane, and keeps the weight off.

I spent the better part of 18 months falling off the said "wagon" until I opened myself up to constructive advice instead of just words of encouragement. What are your stats? How tall are you? What's your exercise routine like? How much is your deficit? What are your macros? Find some of the successful and amazing people on here that you can trust and share that information with them and then listen to their advice, and it will totally change your attitude towards of few days of overindulging.

Best of luck!
  • VeganAmandaJ
    VeganAmandaJ Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Well said!!! It's so true, this must become your way of life. Some people may be able to go "cold-turkey" but personally I made small changes that have led to a healthier and active lifestyle where I can naturally continue this journey. There may be times you eat a bit too much or the wrong thing but you'll never stop trying and you will keep going, so, I like what this says below, there's no wagon and you just keep going and trying and changing. =D
    Start off by ditching the "wagon". There is no wagon. Own what you eat, but don't moralize it; you did nothing "wrong".

Your choices are either bringing you closer to your goals, or further away. But every day goes in the bucket, regardless.

From painful personal experience, the worst thing I EVER did was look at weight loss as a "wagon", or a train off the "tracks", which fostered a "start tomorrow/start Monday" mentality that lead to this idea that I'd be perfectly on point tomorrow. Those tomorrows seldom came. The shame, guilt, and disillusionment that came after all those wagon falls just served to help me stay fatter longer. It's amazing what happens when you drop that mentality.
  • B_TEEN
    B_TEEN Posts: 95 Member
    Options

Great post. I'd also add that the "treat" for good progress is better health. That is the whole purpose of refining your nutrition and increasing your activity levels. Keep that as your reminder. Of course, on those days where you know you'll have a slice of the birthday cake, holiday pie, or whatever is your weakness, plan more intense workouts to offset the extra calories consumed. Another way to reduce the damage is to modify your indulgences (e.g., yogurt and fruit instead of ice cream; dark chocolate instead of candy bars; or granola instead of potato chips/processed snacks).
  • collegeboy13
    Options
    Everything in moderation. Eating good, "clean" food is important but having a treat or two a day doesn hurt at all, just fit it within your daily calorie limit.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options

This is excellent advice. I will tack on to that. . . if your plan is so restrictive that you "fall off," it is not a good plan. Figure out an appropriate calorie level and make sure to build in some treats, carefully measured to keep you at your calorie goal. This can't be something that you have to fight so hard to do.
  • abrazame
    abrazame Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Im 5'3 and weight 153... My calorie goal is about 1400. I usually try to exercise once every other day. I don't have a gym membership and can't afford one now so I usually just do fitness videos from youtube.... 20 pounds in 2 1/2 months unrealistic?
    What's the most you think I could realistically lose by then?

Last summer I didn't do anything at all because I was too embarrassed to go outside. It was so hot the only thing that was comfortable enough to wear were shorts and dresses...
  • abrazame
    abrazame Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    It's gotten to the point where I feel guilty after putting anything in my mouth. Even ''healthy'' foods like a cup of tea... I have struggled with food since I was around 13 and have a history of binging and purging. I am starting to feel the urge again.
  • B_TEEN
    B_TEEN Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    20 pounds in 2 1/2 months unrealistic?
    What's the most you think I could realistically lose by then?

Look, I'm not a nutritionist or a fitness expert but here are my thoughts... While it may be possible to lose that much, it probably will not be sustainable. To change months (or years) of poor habits in 75 days and maintain them probably is not realistic or fair to yourself. It would probably make sense to tackle each issue (i.e., nutrition, physical fitness, mental/emotional issues) independently to successfully make changes that can last in the long run.