One pot dinners

Options
lillilanda
lillilanda Posts: 27 Member
Anyone have any one pot meals? My only criteria is that the recipe is truly one pot, meaning that it contains a full dinner's worth of vegetables. Meat and carb is Not a complete meal! We pretty much eat anything and I generally don't watch macros, so all recipes are welcome.

My go to, once spring arrives, is grilled shish kabobs - zucchini, onions, carrots, tomatoes, potatoes, and meat chunks marinated in the AM and tossed on the grill after work.

Replies

• chocolateandbutterscotch
    Options
    http://www.readyseteat.com/recipes-Spinach-Walnut-Penne-5293.html

I have made this a few times and really enjoy it. Hope you do too.
  • theglencoegirl
    theglencoegirl Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    i've made it and love it--"homemade hamburger helper" you can tweak the veggies to your taste- original post says to put in oven after--i don't--i just add the cheese let it melt in the skillet and serve!

Easy Macaroni Casserole
    Skinnytaste.com
    Servings: 8 • Size: 1/8th • Old Points: 7 • Weight Watcher Points+: 8 pt
    Calories: 338 • Fat: 13 g • Carb: 31 g • Fiber: 5 g • Protein: 21 g • Sugar: 2 g
    Sodium: 581 mg • Cholest: 63 mg

Ingredients:
    1 lb 93% lean ground turkey
    1 tbsp olive oil
    1 cup chopped onion
    1 medium red pepper, chopped
    1/4 cup finely diced celery
    1/4 cup finely diced carrots
    1 cup sliced mushrooms
    1 (14.5 oz can) petite diced tomatoes, drained
    2 cups marinara sauce (I used my own homemade)
    2 cups water
    1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
    1 tsp Kosher salt
    8 oz shredded mozzarella cheese
    8 oz uncooked DeLallo whole wheat elbows

Directions:

In a large deep non-stick skillet, brown the ground turkey over high heat until cooked through, seasoning with a pinch of salt and breaking it up into smaller pieces as it cooks. Set aside on a dish.

Add olive oil to the skillet, reduce heat to medium and add the onion, red pepper, celery and carrots; sauté until the vegetables soft, about 6 to 7 minutes.

Return the turkey to the skillet along with the remaining ingredients except for the pasta and cheese.

Bring to a boil and then lower heat to medium-low and simmer for 20 minutes
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Spanish rice…. to die for.
    1 lb ground beef
    1 cup whole grain white rice
    2 8 oz cans tomato sauce
    2 cans hot H2o
    1 green onion chopped
    1 white onion chopped
    cooking oil

cook onion/pepper in oil until soft, add gr beef/1 cup raw rice cook until gr beef brown about 10 min, make sure you stir frequently, add 2 cans sauce and 2 cans hot h2O , cover and simmer until H2o absorbed. Serve with a veggie. SOOOOO good my kids love this and ask for it all the time
  • psmith980
    psmith980 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Penne Ala Mark-2 servings

4oz uncooked Barilla Penne
    2 links of Hot chicken sausage
    1 garlic glove
    11/2 tbs olive oil
    2 cups uncooked Brocolli Rabe
    1 cup San Marzano Whole Peeled Tomatoes
    2tbs Parmesan Cheese

Heat skillet add oil, chopped garlic until light brown
    Add sausage slices into 1 inch chunks until brown
    Then add tomatoes until reduced
    Add Broccoli Rabe Chopped
    Then add cooked penne (al dente) to skillet
    serve and sprinkle with cheese

Enjoy!
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Spring Vegetable Couscous with Chicken

Ingredients
    3 tablespoons unsalted butter
    4 scallions, white and green parts separated, and thinly sliced crosswise
    2 wide strips lemon zest, plus 1 tablespoon lemon juice
    Coarse salt and ground pepper
    1 pound asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
    1/2 cup frozen peas
    1 cup couscous
    Leg and thigh meat from 1 rotisserie chicken, torn into bite-size pieces
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley

Directions
    Step 1
    In a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium-high. Add scallion whites and cook, stirring constantly, until softened, about 3 minutes. Add lemon zest and 1 1/4 cups water and season with salt and pepper. Cover pan and bring liquid to a boil, then add asparagus and peas. Return to a boil and stir in couscous. Add chicken and remove pan from heat; cover and let sit 7 minutes. Add lemon juice and parsley and season with salt and pepper. Fluff couscous with a fork and serve.

Serves 4

Calories: 377
    Carbs: 42g
    Fat: 13g
    Protein: 22g
  • Gidzmo
    Gidzmo Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    Anyone have any one pot meals? My only criteria is that the recipe is truly one pot, meaning that it contains a full dinner's worth of vegetables. Meat and carb is Not a complete meal! We pretty much eat anything and I generally don't watch macros, so all recipes are welcome.
    My go to, once spring arrives, is grilled shish kabobs - zucchini, onions, carrots, tomatoes, potatoes, and meat chunks marinated in the AM and tossed on the grill after work.

Do you have a slow-cooker? A nice roast or some chicken, along with veggies (you might want to brown the meat first, before it goes into the slow-cooker).

Speaking of grilling, you can do meat and veggies on the grill--but in little foil pouches instead of skewers.
  • Junebuggyzy
    Junebuggyzy Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I like the Jewish comfort food that my grandmother made. And the only carbs in it are from vegetables. You can make this in a slow cooker or on the stove.

Chicken in the pot

6 chicken thighs or a cut-up whole chicken (I just use thighs because I like them)
    4 carrots
    3 stalks of celery
    1 onion
    1 tablespoon salt
    pepper to taste
    Chopped Parsley
    optional: 2 parsley roots, peeled and sliced

In a large soup pot, put in the chicken and sliced vegetables except the parsley, and salt and pepper. Fill with water to cover. If you are using a crock pot, use about two cups of water and however many of the ingredients fit into the crock pot

Bring to a boil then bring down heat to a gentle simmer for about three hours if on the stove, or all day in the crock pot on low. Season with more salt and pepper.

You can serve as is, or take the meat off the bones, shred it, and add it back to the pot. Garnish each bowl with chopped parsley.
  • haleymiller0707
    haleymiller0707 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite for the family is homemade sloppy joe's. My family will never eat canned sloppy joe's ever again. This is so much better!

http://www.foodallergymama.com/2013/01/25/my-go-to-busy-night-dinner-turkey-sloppy-joes-johns-fave/

TURKEY SLOPPY JOES

Serves 6

1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
    1 small yellow onion, finely diced
    ½ green bell pepper, seeded and finely diced
    ½ red bell pepper, seeded and finely diced
    1 celery stalk, finely diced
    1 carrot, peeled and finely diced
    1 small garlic clove, finely diced
    ½ teaspoon kosher salt
    ¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
    1 ½ pounds ground turkey (dark meat)
    1 tablespoon light brown sugar
    1 teaspoon dry mustard
    1 15 oz. can tomato sauce
    1/3 cup ketchup
    1 tablespoon tomato paste
    1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce (omit if you have a soy allergy)
    6 allergen-friendly hamburger buns, light toasted in 300 degree oven for a few minutes if desired.

In a large skillet heat olive oil over medium high heat and add onion, bell peppers, celery, carrot, garlic salt and pepper until vegetables are softened and onion and is translucent, about 5 minutes. Add ground turkey and cook breaking up with a wooden spoon, until no longer pink and cooked through, about 7-9 minutes.

Add brown sugar, dry mustard, tomato sauce, ketchup, tomato paste and Worcestershire sauce to vegetable and turkey mixture. Stir well and simmer until slightly thickened, about 5-7 minutes. Serve on toasted allergen friendly buns.

FREEZER TIP: Mixture can be frozen up to two months in either a resealable plastic freezer bag or container. Reheat over medium low on stove top.
  • oboeing
    oboeing Posts: 1,816 Member
    Options
    http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/favorite-skillet-lasagna

Italian Sausage, zucchini and whole wheat egg-style noodles, at 250 calories a serving. it's truly one of my favorites!
  • jenillawafer
    jenillawafer Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    bump~