Quick, Helpful Tips

Options
I thought it might be cool to do a thread where we just post some really quick tips that we have found work well.

The biggest one for me is:

When you are craving sweets, EVEN chocolate, grab a piece of fruit. It totally does the trick.

I had a huge craving for chocolate, so I grabbed a nectarine... the sweetness was enough to get rid of the craving :)

Replies

• Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    My tip might sound strange to a lot of people...but I can guarantee you it works.

Whenever you start having a craving for something that you know you shouldn't have, and you don't even have it in the house to eat it anyway but you feel like you could drive to the store and get it before the end of the day, then immediately drop to the floor and do 10 push-ups.

If the craving is still there, do 10 more.

The thing is, you will be working out and so food cravings tend to disappear...and you will be burning calories and building muscle at the same time.

And psychologically, if you do it enough, you will get so sick and tired of push-ups that you won't want that food anymore because you will know in the back of your head that chocolate cake (foe example) means push-ups.

I've actually been able to to drastically reduce the amount of Reece's that I eat this way. I used to think that I was going to turn into a peanut butter cup! Haha!!! :laugh:
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    when i buy fresh veggies, i buy them all at once, as much variety as i can, and then make up little baggies of mixed veggies. That way they're just grab and go...even if i want to make a stir fry or steam them, i can just grab a couple of the little baggies. I also freeze my fruit. If i notice that we aren't eating the strawberries fast enough, i'll throw them in the freezer, it's great for the whey protein shake after the gym.
  • sunnyk8
    sunnyk8 Posts: 125 Member
    Options

Whenever you start having a craving for something that you know you shouldn't have, and you don't even have it in the house to eat it anyway but you feel like you could drive to the store and get it before the end of the day, then immediately drop to the floor and do 10 push-ups.

If the craving is still there, do 10 more.

The thing is, you will be working out and so food cravings tend to disappear...and you will be burning calories and building muscle at the same time.

And psychologically, if you do it enough, you will get so sick and tired of push-ups that you won't want that food anymore because you will know in the back of your head that chocolate cake (foe example) means push-ups.

This is way too cool! I'm gonna have to try this one!
  • Lindsay7360
    Options
    Bump! I need to keep this list handy. :)
  • knittygirl52
    knittygirl52 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I've never been a water drinker, so I treat my water as "medicine." Two hours have gone by? Drink a glass of water. Want a cup of coffee? Can't have it until you drink a glass of water. Feel the need for a snack? Can't have it until you drink a glass of water. The water winds up filling some of the "holes," I stay hydrated and I still get to drink the things I want and have the healthy snacks, but I drink my water anyway!
  • tater8589
    Options
    I thought it might be cool to do a thread where we just post some really quick tips that we have found work well.

The biggest one for me is:

When you are craving sweets, EVEN chocolate, grab a piece of fruit. It totally does the trick.

I had a huge craving for chocolate, so I grabbed a nectarine... the sweetness was enough to get rid of the craving :)

I totally needed this advice over the weekend, i broke and had a big glass of chocolate milk.
  • pressica
    Options
    I drink milk slowly at night to stave off the munchies. It works!
  • KarenJean81
    KarenJean81 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I am crazy for plums when I want chocolate!
    I love the push ups tip!
    I hate doing dishes, so measuring portions can be annoying for me. This is what my husband and I did one day.
    We filled all of out ladles and other larger serveware with water and premeasured them. Now I know on "tikka night" that one black ladel full is one 1/2 cup portion. So no more washing measuring cups 3 times a day, and it feels like I'm giving myself more when I use a full adel or spoon and know I can!
  • baker_c
    baker_c Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Cinnamon helps control your blood sugar. Use 2 tps diet hot cocoa in your coffee instead of creamer. Love Deep Chocolate Vita tops only 100 calories when I need a chocolate fix.
  • KarenJean81
    KarenJean81 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Cinnamon helps control your blood sugar. Use 2 tps diet hot cocoa in your coffee instead of creamer. Love Deep Chocolate Vita tops only 100 calories when I need a chocolate fix.

I love cinnamon! I had no idea about the blood sugar thing, thanks for sharing!
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,427 Member
    Options
    After dinner (after I've had my little dessert treat I planned for) I brush my teeth and maybe put on teeth whitening strips. My teeth feel nice and clean and I'm less likely to start grazing around the kitchen. (Luckily, I'm married and my husband is used to me by now!).