Rookie question about weighing food

Options
momofpgn
momofpgn Posts: 8 Member
When weighing my fruits and vegetables do I only calculate what I'm eating? So do I cut up the pear and weigh it? Do I remove the peel from the banana? And really, does it matter? Thanks

Replies

• sodakat
    sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    You don't count the weight of the peel on bananas or oranges, for example, but with apples I often eat the whole dang thing so I just weigh it whole.

I think it does matter. Just like ketchup, barbeque sauce and soy sauce matter. 100 calories here/there and pretty soon we are talking enough to prevent a deficit if you are trying to lose "X" amount a week. IMO of course.
  • wozkaa
    wozkaa Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I agree with Sodakat

If you don't eat it, don't weigh it. I don't eat banana skin, and they can be thick and heavy - adding another 20-30 grams to the weight of your banana. That's half a snack's worth of calories right there you might be missing out on!
    I cut my apples or pears into quarters if i'm home, and take the core out and weigh it. Heck, I even take grapes off the stem bfore weighing my portion! :-)
  • caveninit
    caveninit Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Heck, I even take grapes off the stem bfore weighing my portion! :-)
    lol I do that too!
  • garoyall
    garoyall Posts: 8
    Options
    I don't think it matters as long as you're consistent with how you're weighing stuff. The amount of calories aren't going to be exact either way. Just be consistent with how you weigh stuff and then make adjustments based on progress.
  • momofpgn
    Options
    Thanks for the info. It makes so much more sense when someone else tells you. :). I'm using the grape idea too!!
  • lmhbuss
    lmhbuss Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Yeaaaaah. I once weighed my apple, and then weighed the core before I threw it away to subtract the weight from the total. My husband thought I was insane.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    The USDA entries that the MFP database is based on are only for the edible portion, so yes, that's exactly what you do.
  • beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    I don't weigh my fruit, I measure it in a measuring cup since that seems to be how it's measured on the database.
  • FitterBody
    FitterBody Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Heck, I even take grapes off the stem bfore weighing my portion! :-)
    lol I do that too!

And then freeze them. Then they are a great snack alternative to sweets/candies.
  • momofpgn
    Options
    Thanks. I was wondering what MFP based numbers off. That helps.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I don't weigh my fruit, I measure it in a measuring cup since that seems to be how it's measured on the database.

If you look at the drop down, it should give a list of measurement basis to chose from - slices, cups, whole fruits, oz, grams etc. The MFP entry ones do - they are the ones without the asterix.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    I just eat the banana peel
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

4r42no.gif
  • Karissa_Clohan
    Karissa_Clohan Posts: 126 Member
    Options

4r42no.gif

:laugh: That was great!
  • siqiniq
    siqiniq Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Wow, I've never thought about it. I generally don't weigh fruit, but just use something in the food lists. However, this morning I discovered that I was guessing way over on my oatmeal, so I'm going to weigh fruit now and see what the difference is.
  • Dewymorning
    Dewymorning Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    When I am putting the banana in a smoothie, I weigh it without the skin, so I have a pretty good idea of the weight of a banana I just pick up to eat (I tend to go on the side of overestimating when I do that).

For most other fruits, I weigh the whole fruit and don't worry about the little bit I didn't eat. It is probably only 10-20 calories worth anyway.
  • SunKissed1989
    SunKissed1989 Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I only weigh what I eat - i.e. removing the skin before putting it on the scales - particularly for bananas, oranges and apples (I usually eat the whole apple though so I just weigh that whole, if I leave the core, I weigh the apple whole before eating it then weigh the core before binning it so I know how much I actually ate:smile:
  • nomad1000
    nomad1000 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Fruits and veggies that get peeled, I weigh once peel is removed.

For fruits with pits and cores, I weigh the whole thing and leave it at that. Mainly to build a bit of a buffer in my log since I may be slightly off on other items or to account for stuff I might miss logging (like a breath mint, piece of gum, spices or herbs added to a meal for example).