To eat or not to eat?

Options
Hi there! I'm just getting started, in fact last week was the first time I've ever tracked my calories.

I had no idea how few calories I was eating! I'm trying to up my intake, but I'm finding it hard. to get above 1,000 some days. Should I force it?

Replies

• TylerAvenger
    Options
    To be safe, you should talk to a doctor.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    are you accurately measuring/weighing your foods? Odds are, you're actually already eating over 1000 calories. If not? Yes, you need to eat that much.

don't eat diet foods, eat legit.. real.. food. Hell, pick up a jar of peanut butter. 2 tbsps is something like 180-190 calories right there.
  • christa279
    christa279 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Are you measuring you food? How are you measuring it (if you are)? You may be eating more than you think.
  • ajflkdafs
    ajflkdafs Posts: 15
    Options
    Thanks for your replies guys.

I'm measuring through cups, tablespoons, per piece (for things like fruits and nuts). I've been thinking about getting a scale though because yes it is hard especially for meats. I work out the servings of recipes I make and put them into my food count through their websites.

I'm on a medication that causes me to lose my appetite, so I'm sure that has a lot to do with it. I've always been active and healthy but since last year I've put on probably 20 lbs (not really sure how much I weighed, I only got a scale very recently). After doing some research and talking with people I think I might not be getting enough of what it needs, so my body is just storing them. But should I eat to the point of feeling stuffed? I made butternut squash soup yesterday and really truly had to take my time eating because half way through my bowl I felt uncomfortable putting anymore down.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your replies guys.

I'm measuring through cups, tablespoons, per piece (for things like fruits and nuts). I've been thinking about getting a scale though because yes it is hard especially for meats. I work out the servings of recipes I make and put them into my food count through their websites.

I'm on a medication that causes me to lose my appetite, so I'm sure that has a lot to do with it. I've always been active and healthy but since last year I've put on probably 20 lbs (not really sure how much I weighed, I only got a scale very recently). After doing some research and talking with people I think I might not be getting enough of what it needs, so my body is just storing them. But should I eat to the point of feeling stuffed? I made butternut squash soup yesterday and really truly had to take my time eating because half way through my bowl I felt uncomfortable putting anymore down.

If you aren't weighing your food, it isn't accurate. Trust me. Get a food scale. A cheap digital scale will be great.
  • jlynnm70
    jlynnm70 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    weigh your foods and if you are still eating low - then eat calorie dense foods. Someone mentioned PB - nuts are always good for that - so is an avocado, etc.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    A food scale is never a bad idea, imo. But if you're having trouble eating enough then look into adding more calorie dense foods to your day. Nuts, nut butter, seeds, full fat dairy, cheese, Greek yogurt, ice cream, avocado, olive oil or coconut oil, dark chocolate, protein shakes & smoothies, full calorie condiments and salad dressings, etc. It should be fairly easy to increase your calories by a few hundred at each meal without adding a lot of extra food to your day.
  • kmglennie
    kmglennie Posts: 40
    Options
    Something doesn't add up here: if you've been gaining weight, you haven't been eating at a deficit. I'd check in with your doctor first and get a food scale as others have suggested.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    are you accurately measuring/weighing your foods? Odds are, you're actually already eating over 1000 calories. If not? Yes, you need to eat that much.

don't eat diet foods, eat legit.. real.. food. Hell, pick up a jar of peanut butter. 2 tbsps is something like 180-190 calories right there.

This^^^^^¥

It's very very easy to miscalculate your calories at first. You must weigh and measure everything you eat!
  • ajflkdafs
    ajflkdafs Posts: 15
    Options
    Just ordered one on amazon, thanks for the advice!
  • beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    Eek!!! That is not a lot of food. I hard a hard time staying under 1500 when that was my goal. I'd say you're not measuring because a normal person would be starving at 1000
  • wannakimmy
    wannakimmy Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    A lot of great advice here, good luck OP.
  • BectheLion
    BectheLion Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I don't know what you're eating, but I definitely think you should pick quality over quantity.
    One of my girlfriends doesn't eat a whole lot of calories per se, but she eats very clean. Lots of veggies, protein and complex carbs. And what she eats is very filling. 3 oz of grilled chicken and and a large baked sweet potatoe may only be 350 calories, but it's satisfying.
    My point is, if you're hungry, eat. But don't stuff yourself just to get to a specified calorie count. And at the same time, don't deprive yourself because your body needs fuel to function!