kinda new here, BMR question. and looking for random tips.

sbusenba
sbusenba Posts: 1
edited September 21 in Health and Weight Loss
Decided a couple days ago i was tired of being fat, signed up here just to have a free calorie counter for my iphone. Yesterday i was poking around and i put my height (6'2") weight (255) in to the BMR calculator and it told me to maintain my weight, i need 2206 calories a day, this seems like a lot to me, and it got me thinking. someone who is my height and 255 pounds of pure muscle is gonna have a way different BMR than i do at 255 pounds and 70 of that probably being fat.
MFP reccomends 1700ish calories a day for me to lose 2 lbs a week, honestly i'd like to lose a little more. am i risking going into starvation mode/ extra fat storage maintaining a diet more like 1300-1500 calories a day?
I try and do about 20-30 minutes of cardio 5-6 times a week, since i'm just starting after a while break it will probably be more like 20 minutes. Other than that i have a very sedentary lifestyle.
Trying to start eating smaller meals, and snacking more with healthy snacks in between.
sunday i only ate 900 calories, and didnt really feel like i was starving, then yesterday, monday i ate around 1700, what MFP thinks is my target, however i did 300ish calories of exercise and didnt eat my exercise calories.

what do you guys think?

Replies

• jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    I am 6'2" and about 247 right now and I have been losing weight at around 1750 cals a day. Just do it slow and heathy
  • I would go with what MFP suggests and see how that works for you. More then 2 pounds a week isn't healthy.
  • You should always make sure you are eating 1200 calories a day. When I first joined MFP, it told me to maintain my current weight which was 185, I had to eat 2200 or so calories a day. That number is based upon having a sedetary lifestyle and how many calories it takes your body to just function for the day. I think that the numbers are slightly skewed, because to get a true BMI, you cant just base it off weight and height and age. But from what I have understood from everyone on this site, you should eat 1200 calories a day, so if you eat 1400 and exercise 400 calories off, you should eat another 200 to make sure that your body functions properly and doesnt go into starvation mode.

Good luck!
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    I would go with the recommendations of this site, assuming all your input data is correct (age, weight, height, activity level, goals).

Remember to log and eat a portion of your exercise calories (specific to "working out", not just general activities).

You can adjust the macros if you like (protein, fat, carbs), I think the protein goals are low. I use a 40c/30f/30p breakdown.

Drink lots of water. .

Eat mostly nutrient-dense foods (whole grains, veggies, quality protein) and limit calorie-dense foods (sweets, processed carbs such as white bread, sweets, chips).

Starvation mode comes after very long periods of eating less than 50% of what your body requires. It won't happen over night or this week. However, to stick with your new eating habits and to feel your very best, eat what your body needs. Don't deprive yourself nutritionally, if you do, the chances are high that you will feel tired, foggy, cranky, and you may very well binge. Don't try to rush the weight loss, take it slow and it will stay off.

Try this for at least a month, and if it doesn't work, then fine tune what you're doing.

Good luck! :flowerforyou:
This discussion has been closed.