Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Diet drinks and fizzy drinks sabotaging all our efforts???

LisaJayne71
LisaJayne71 Posts: 197 Member
edited September 21 in Food and Nutrition
2 articles that I saw today that have given me plenty to think about!... Normally I don't pay too much attention to these kinds of articles but a lot of what it said made sense to me... I don't drink that many diet cokes and 7 up free's in a day normally but 'm going to try and stop completely now!
In the past I used to drink 4-5 a day diet cokes.... I just wonder if I were sabotaging my efforts to lose weight without realising it!!

http://www.everydayhealth.com/diet-nutrition/say-no-to-soda.aspx?xid=nl_EverydayHealthChildrensHealth_20100928

http://www.everydayhealth.com/weight/is-diet-soda-making-you-gain-weight.aspx

Replies

• springgrl
    springgrl Posts: 168 Member
    One thing I have heard is that the artificial sweeteners cause you to crave sweeter/higher calorie foods. Another thing I have heard is that the artificial sweeteners cause your body to think it is getting sugar and then when it doesn't it messes with your digestion.

Either way, I know I have felt better when I have limited my diet sodas and crystal light drinks. I don't think they do much damage in small amounts but I don't think leaning on them to make my water goals is a good idea.
  • annabellj
    annabellj Posts: 1,337 Member
    i have been trying to kick the habit for years. sometimes i can and then the headaches and withdrawals do me in. this is a great article thanks for sharing. although i never noticed a difference in my weight when i quit, i dont think i quit long enough to make it worth while.i worry about the correlation to cancer and the chemicals involved. trying to drink tea instead, dont drink coffee so it is hard to just stick to water all day.
  • LisaJayne71
    One thing I have heard is that the artificial sweeteners cause you to crave sweeter/higher calorie foods. Another thing I have heard is that the artificial sweeteners cause your body to think it is getting sugar and then when it doesn't it messes with your digestion.

Either way, I know I have felt better when I have limited my diet sodas and crystal light drinks. I don't think they do much damage in small amounts but I don't think leaning on them to make my water goals is a good idea.

Yes! I read that too! I have PCOS and it is apparently the worse thing to drink if you have the condition as I am Insulin resistant... It's a tough one to break though! I've spent the best part of 25 years drinking the damn stuff!
    I remember yrs ago when I lived in LA when I was 25 yrs old and I lived on low fat pretzels, diet coke to try and lose weight!
  • LisaJayne71
    i have been trying to kick the habit for years. sometimes i can and then the headaches and withdrawals do me in. this is a great article thanks for sharing. although i never noticed a difference in my weight when i quit, i dont think i quit long enough to make it worth while.i worry about the correlation to cancer and the chemicals involved. trying to drink tea instead, dont drink coffee so it is hard to just stick to water all day.

You're welcome! It really hit home for the first time! I've seen articles before and thought that they were a bit over the top and that it didn't really affect me, but this time there was research in there that really bothered me!
    I too in the past have tried to cut it out but have only managed to cut back a bit... I'm now trying to cut it out entirely!
This discussion has been closed.