Bumped Calories Up But I'm Worried It'll Bite Me In The Butt

Options
I'm pretty lean, pear-shaped, but need to lose 10-15 pounds.

After reading posts about TDEE and BMR, I figured out I needed to eat about 1700 calories to lose weight (as opposed to the 1200 I've been eating for weeks).

But today, after logging, I'm anxious that I'm misguided in upping calories, and when I get on the scale in a week, I'll have gained, not lost. Feels like a big gamble.

Any other fairly healthy lean people with 10-15 pounds to lose make the leap to bumping up calories? Did it payoff? Or bite you in the butt?

Replies

• LividMuffin
    LividMuffin Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Same problem here, I just found out that I've been eating around 300kcal less than I should and my partner even worse (around 1500 instead of 2200!!!) I'm worried that increasing the intake by such a massive amount will mess up all the effort and hard work... Would love to hear expert opinions on this!
  • PatheticNoetic
    PatheticNoetic Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    I did it. Hovered for a couple of weeks and now I'm back to losing. I went from 1200 to 1450 (+exercise calories) . When I lose another 3-4kilos I plan on upping my calories again.

Don't be scared to up.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    up your calories 100 a week till you get to TDEE -10%
  • triskaidekaphile13
    triskaidekaphile13 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    When I got to less than half a stone to lose I upped my calories and then upped them slowly again after I got to goal. I've been on maintenance for three months today and have continued to lose weight despite eating at maintenance. I'm upping my calories slowly as I don't want to lose any more.
  • Dewymorning
    Dewymorning Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    WARNING: You will initially see a gain in weight.

DON'T PANIC!

This will mostly be caused by an increase in glycogen levels due to eating more food. This is part of what people call water weight.

Try 1700 calories for at least 4 weeks before assessing if it is causing you to gain or lose weight.
  • lisaabenjamin
    lisaabenjamin Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Whatever you do, if you are burning more calories than you consume, you will lose weight. Sometimes changes to your routine can make you stall or even gain a little temporarily, but overall if you have a calorie deficit you will lose.

Edited because I contradicted myself, ha!
  • SuperCrsa
    SuperCrsa Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    I did
    I also started weight training the week I bumped up my calories from 1200 to 1900,
    The scale went up by 2kgs and stayed there for 6 weeks.

BUT I measured myself and took photos and while the scale didnt move cm's came off, so I was losing.
    Dont trust the scale for accurate weight loss, measure yourself now and check in once a week!

Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • lamps1303
    lamps1303 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Would be interested to hear responses to this. I too was on a 1200kcal 'diet'. I have gradually increased to 1540kcal (based on TDEE) but not really seeing loss at the moment.
  • MemphisHellFire
    MemphisHellFire Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    i was eating around 1300-1500, training intensely 6 days a week but not loosing weight, i was told by numerous people to eat more but i kept ignoring it till last week i went away and ended up eating way over my normal range and lost weight! so for the past week iv been on 1800-2000 per day which im struggling with mentally even though im not hungry all the time and i can eat a wide variety of food, not measured myself yet :S eek!
  • toya1815
    toya1815 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I just recently bumped to about 1700 cals vs. the range of 1100 to 1300 I was eating. Lost pretty steady til about a month ago, since I am closer to my goal I suppose? Personal trainer told me I needed to bump to like 1900, absolutely scared to do so! So im meeting half way at 1700. Resistance training and weight lifting 3x a week and cardio 3x a week. I gained about 5lbs the first two weeks but it is now tapered back off to my previous weight now after about a month. So technically no loss on the scale, but overall no gain either. Anxious to see some similar responses.
  • dmenchac
    dmenchac Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Bumping up calories does not increase weight loss.

If you are eating at a deficit, you will lose weight, not matter how large or how small that deficit is.

If you weren't losing at 1200, you WILL NOT lose at whatever you bump it up to.

And if you do, you clearly weren't eating at 1200.

There are so many misconceptions when it comes to eating more to way less.

And unfortunately, most of you in this thread are severely misguided.
  • LividMuffin
    LividMuffin Posts: 47 Member
    Options

If you are eating at a deficit, you will lose weight, not matter how large or how small that deficit is.

I'm sorry but that's not necessarily right.. If you're eating too few calories (1200 that I used to eat sometimes was even under my BMR!) metabolism slows down to minimum and body preserves every calorie it gets.. That's why bumping up calories but still eating at deficit can help as it kick starts the metabolism again...
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options

What exactly would you suggest people do that aren't losing on 1200 then? Lower their calories to 800, for example?
  • belanna5
    belanna5 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Very true!
    I'm trying to bump to 1000, because I was used to stay around 800 ( I usually exercise everyday). My metabolism was so slow that I wasn't losing weight. In the last two days I have starting to eat carbs (not a huge amount, but enough to reach 950 cal.) And I lost 1.1 lb.
    I'm still working on it. And it's hard, mentally and physically, almost like cutting cal.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

I'm sorry but that's not necessarily right.. If you're eating too few calories (1200 that I used to eat sometimes was even under my BMR!) metabolism slows down to minimum and body preserves every calorie it gets.. That's why bumping up calories but still eating at deficit can help as it kick starts the metabolism again...

No this is not necessarily right. Adaptive thermogenisis does happen but it takes a while for that to happen and a while is not a couple weeks/months. The body does not "preserve" every calorie it gets.

I am by no means saying 1200 calories is appropriate for many people...but if you truely are eating it you will lose weight.

It is not horrible to eat under your BMR either....
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1058378-oh-noes-i-am-eating-below-my-bmr
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1084912-good-starvation-mode-article
  • SezxyStef
    Options

What exactly would you suggest people do that aren't losing on 1200 then? Lower their calories to 800, for example?

No start weighing food because they are probably eating more than they think.
  • mcibty
    mcibty Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    up your calories 100 a week till you get to TDEE -10%

This this thissy this.
  • lauren3101
    Options

You again! Can't you leave me alone? :laugh:
  • SezxyStef
    Options

????? sorry not sure what you are talking about....
  • lauren3101
    Options

????? sorry not sure what you are talking about....

Every time I comment on one of these threads you quote me and argue/disagree with me. We will never agree. Can you not just leave it, or put me on ignore?