Good & Tasty Snacks Besides Veggies. ???

lilscuder
lilscuder Posts: 88 Member
edited September 21 in Recipes
I'm curious as to what many of you have for Snacks ? Besides the usual "Veggies" One thing I love and find filling is Trader Joes Mediterranean Humus. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated ! Add me as a MFP friend, as it's nice to get everyones imput ! So glad I found MFP.

Replies

• ashlee954
    ashlee954 Posts: 1,112 Member
    String cheese, vita-top muffin tops (bran, chocolate, etc), Kellog's peanut butter chocolate protein bars, yogurt, kashi crackers, V8, and nuts! :)
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Hmmm hummus and baba ganoush are awesome snacks!

also, try a handful or almonds or some fat free cottage cheese with a few raspberries or 1/2 peach. both will help keep you feeling full and provide you with great protein until dinner :)

i also find that a nice treat/snack for a coffee addict like myself is a small soy latte. its around 100 cals and the soy milk is quite filling - plus, with a little cinnamon it almost tastes like a dessert :D i just have that in lieu of my coffee when I want to splurge and I have some cals remaining and it's a great way to pat myself on the back for staying under my calorie goal.

good luck :D
  • I agree with the snack choices - I eat a serving of almonds (about 25), a Yoplait Light yogurt, string cheese, or fresh fruit almost daily for snacks. I also LOVE the Kashi TLC Dark Chocolate & Coconut granola bars...yummy! I have a snack late morning and mid-afternoon, with each being between 150 - 200 calories.
  • lilscuder
    Thanx for the tips ! The n/f cottage cheese w/ raspberriles or peach sounds Great ! I never know what to put raspberries, or blueberries on, as I know there Healthy for you. Thanx MFP !
  • lilscuder
    Thanx ! What is Buba Ganoush ? I'm loving the Tips, MFP friend.
  • lilscuder
    Thanx MFP friend for the tips ! I will try the Kashi Bars. I need more fruit, so I will try to get more in. I just bought a canteloupe, and some apples. :D
  • I think it's similar to hummus, but it's made with eggplant instead of chickpeas. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong!
  • lilscuder
    Thanx for all the tips ! Appreciate your imput, MFP friend. By the way, you look GREAT ! Best thing I ever did, was join Curves. That in turn led me to walking. Changed my life. I Luv cheese, So, I will get the string cheese for a snack.
  • meagalayne
    I think it's similar to hummus, but it's made with eggplant instead of chickpeas. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong!

Yep! It's just a neat sub if you get bored of hummus :) it tastes great and it's made with eggplant, can't go wrong there! you can usually find it in most whole foods and regular grocers with the hummus and other dips. it's about 70-80 cals for 2 tbsp and goes great with veggies or a few crackers!
  • clearwaterfin
    clearwaterfin Posts: 18 Member
    CHEDDAR CHEESE RICE CAKES W/ PEANUT BUTTER SPREAD ON TOP ARE REALLY GOOD! THE COMBO IS AWESOME! :wink:
  • I have started keeping these in my desk at work: Kelloggs Fiber Plus dark chocolate almond (amazing*), Nature valley sweet and salty almond/cashew, and walmart brand lowfat strawberry fruit and grain bar. I also will snack on bananas, carrots, cheese heads cheese sticks, and when i can find some not to terrible.. beef jerkey.

Also if you need more fruit, Costco has some fruit treats that are kinda gummy and about 5 pieces contain one serving of fruit and veggies... its how I get my husband to eat his f & v's lol.
  • clioandboy
    clioandboy Posts: 963 Member
    I have regular snacks each mid morning and mid afternoon, the best for me are yoghurt with a teaspoon of honey and slivered almonds DELICIOUS ( i dont do low fat yoghurt by the way or low fat anything actually!) or of course an apple, or french toasts with peanut butter or marmite, lush....... hmmm i have closed my diary for the day but...... lol!
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,559 Member
    -Thin pretzel sticks (110 calories for 51 sticks-that takes awhile to eat!!!)
    -Roasted red pepper hummus and baby carrots (sorry ,I know you said no veggies but this is soooo good!)
    -whole grain melba rounds and goat cheese
    -pistacios or almonds
    -Greek yogurt
    -smoothie made with plain greek yogurt, banana and V8 fusion juice (gets 1 serving of veggies and 2 fruit out of the way)
    -apple slices with 1 T creamy peanut butter
    -Clif Bar peanut butter chocolate crunch. I always have one in my purse for those times I"m out and about and ready to eat my arm.
    -baby bel or laughing cow light cheese wedges
    -diet A&W root beer
    -ghiradelli 60% dark cacao chocolate chips (8 chips 40 calories)
    -edamame with kosher sea salt
  • meagalayne
    -edamame with kosher sea salt

Second this suggestion!! Edamame is suchhh a good snack - with or without kosher salt (although usually I salt mine too! hehe)
  • Mirlyn
    Mirlyn Posts: 256
    Salsa, hummus, and rice cakes are my 3 favorite non-vegetable snack items. My favorite rice cake right now is the quaker caramel corn flavor. I also have 1 or 2 glasses of special k2o protein water these days to curb my appetite between meals so I don't snack too much.
  • skinnyminnie
    skinnyminnie Posts: 95 Member
    I have to think cheap and convenient, so I spread a bit of peanut butter on saltines and make little sandwiches. It's easy to take with you and gives a nice pop of energy. I usually only eat two little sandwiches, so it's very low calorie.
  • lilscuder
    Thanks ! Wondered where I'd find that. Never heard of it before. Will keep my open for it.
  • I agree - I am always looking for good snack foods. Especially a good snack food that is savory not sweet. I love my sweets, but seems like all the protein bars, shakes, etc are sweet...I would love a few "safe" salty snacks to turn too.

Usually I like - yougert, celery & PB, nuts, etc.
  • lilscuder
    Oh my gosh... Thank-You Everyone For ALL the Great Tips ! I need you guys to be my MFPS ! THANX Again...
  • lilscuder
    Have the Cottage Cheese, bought the Raspberries ! Sounds yummy.:wink:
This discussion has been closed.