Weighing once a month?

Options
Anyone do this? I was thinking it might be a good idea to not only to see a good change/difference, but also for not getting discouraged, especially if you have a day here and there of falling off the wagon.

Replies

• I weigh myself everyday, it's important especially when you start a diet/exercise regimen to understand what will work and what won't. You don't want to believe your losing weight and a month later, find out you didn't or gained instead. However I do measure my waist every week. You'll typically notice a difference with your scale before your tape measure. I also keep my goals to a minimum and will restart a diet often. For instance I have approximately fifty pounds to lose to be at my healthy lowest weight range, that's my ultimate goal but that amount is just too discouraging for me to realistically achieve; so instead I have a reasonable goal to just lose thirteen pounds and that will place me at my highest healthy weight range. I will begin a diet the day after an event and end it a day before a next event, this keeps me from believing; I'm on a never ending diet. It gives me a chance to take a break and restarting at a lower weight/measurement is encouraging. Also the best time to start a diet is after your menstrual cycle because the temporary water weight/bloating will cause a higher weight/measurement and it could be confusing/discouraging to wonder why you haven't lost or why you have gained.
  • qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I hardly weigh myself. I gauge by how my clothes (especially jeans) fits. I think it depends on your personality what works.
  • Kpkrystal
    Kpkrystal Posts: 203
    Options
    I'm addicted to the scale I have been thinking I should go to every other week. idk?
  • 19TaraLynn84
    19TaraLynn84 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    This is one of those things that works different for different people. Whatever works for you is what you should do! I used to think weighing everyday would mess me up, but I tried it for a while, and it really didn't bother me to see the fluctuations. However, I have only weighed myself once in the month of March, and I'm cool with that, too. I've gotten into strength training recently, so I'm more concerned with inches right now.
  • beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    If you get discouraged by the scale I would not recommend weighing in every day. Your body weight can fluctuate as much as 5 lbs day to day. I'd recommend setting aside one day a week (the same day every week) and stepping on the scale. Most people do it in the morning, before eating or drinking anything, after their bathroom time and completely nude. That way your intake and output isn't affecting your weight. If you only do it once a month you might not notice something isn't working until you've gained 10 lbs or haven't lost any. Weighing in weekly allows you to adjust your diet in a timely manner.
  • eluna72
    eluna72 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I only started at the beginning of this month but I am weighing myself every other day and Mondays is my "official" weigh in date where I record it in my journal. For me it is just that I don't want to end up gaining weight and not realizing until my clothes don't fit and I can barely breathe walking up one flight of stairs...which is what happened and why I don't want it happening again. Truly, though, as many have said, whatever works for you is what you should do. :-)
  • ashleearoha
    ashleearoha Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I weigh and measure myself once a month, I don't really care what the weight on the scale says, more how much muscle mass I may have gained and body fat lost. I think if I weighed myself weekly it would drive me crazy.
    And daily weigh ins is the worst thing I have ever heard.