I am 6 months away from weight loss surgery

Options
I have started my journey. After 6 months of doctor visits, and going through the process, I have decided to get surgery. (gastric sleeve) I am well aware that this is not a cure to my weight problem, only a tool. I joined here hoping to get support and incite not just about the surgery, but changing my lifestyle all together =)

Replies

• starrylioness
    starrylioness Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I almost had it myself. I was so frustrated about having to wait 6 months to go through the nutritional sessions with my doctor that I just decided that in those six months, I might could be halfway to my goal so I did it without the surgery. I had one nutritional visit before deciding I was going to go it alone. Glad i did it that way now, but I don't put down ANYONE who feels like surgery is the route they need to go! I wish you all the best and I hope it goes well for you! :smile:
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Welcome aboard! I have no experience with this, just stopping by to say hi and wish you well. Make sure you try a search and see if there are any groups or topics for your subject. I'm sure there are. That's probably the easiest way to meet like-minded people around here. Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    My friend and work boss had it done and he's doing well. He had a scare that required surgery a few months after but it was fine as the doctors spotted it early. I don't like to condone surgery usually but if you're morbidly obese and fixing your psychological problems won't happen before you die of obesity related complications, then surgery is probably essential.
  • missySchell
    missySchell Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    thanks guys! my doctor and I came to the decision for surgery together. I am 33, and already have type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, and not to mention the aches and pains of being so heavy. I am an emotional eater. I don't smoke, or drink alcohol, so food has always been my comfort. It will be a challenge to overcome that part!
  • immm96
    immm96 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    hello,
    I did the same surgery 8 months ago and happy to answer any question you may have,
    I am very happy and I think if anybody was in my situation will never regret such a step
    let me know if you need help
  • missmacknz
    Options
    I have had it 2.5 years ago and it is the best thing ever. It's not 'the answer' and its still very hard work. If you need a MFP friend to talk to about it, please add me - I am happy to help. There's also some good groups on Facebook :)

The best advice I can give you tho is LISTEN to your doctor, if you don't know something ask. Be proactive about your own health. Doctors aren't god and they may forget to tell you something - ask. READ READ and READ some more. Be discerning about what you read and make decisions right for you. No two journeys down this road are equal.

:) Good luck :)
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    I have started my journey. After 6 months of doctor visits, and going through the process, I have decided to get surgery. (gastric sleeve) I am well aware that this is not a cure to my weight problem, only a tool. I joined here hoping to get support and incite not just about the surgery, but changing my lifestyle all together =)

surgery is serious business and gastric bypass doesn't change your lifestyle, so i would strongly suggest that you spend the next 6 months fastidiously counting calories and going for long walks/jogs. you can lose 50lbs or more in the next 6 months just doing that, while learning new lifestyle habits. at that point, you may well discover that you no longer want or need to go through surgery.

get started with these links:

here's a very brief introduction into what's important for weight loss:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/952996-level-obstacles-lose-weight-target-fat-easy

here's a longer introduction covering some of the same topics in more detail:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

be patient. set realistic goals. log everything accurately. be diligent. stick to it. the weight will come off. don't be too hard on yourself if you have a bad day or a bad week... we all do. your path from point A to point B will not be a linear one. it never is for anyone.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/ihad/view/the-path-of-success-631437

stay focused and don't give up.