Just ate my feelings

Options
I have had a rough couple of days emotionally and managed to keep counting and stay on track. Not really sure what happened this afternoon but I seriously ate my feelings and about 8 Lindt balls.

The problem is that I actually feel better now.

For those other emotional eaters out there, what do you do instead of eating your feelings?

Replies

• lizzyclatworthy
    lizzyclatworthy Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    If it makes you feel better I ate breakfast twice because I feel sick with worry this morning .

Also I am jealous of you eating that brand of chocolate because I am boycotting them for supporting autism $peaks :-(
    if they withdraw their support i am going to drown myself in the stuff! ;)
  • CourtNut19
    CourtNut19 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Oh boy, I know how you feel. I'm a huge emotional eater, and breaking that pattern has been the hardest part of losing weight.
    To help, if I'm feeling the urge to eat my feelings, I try to distract myself for 15-20 min. Yesterday, I was feeling really stressed and wanted to eat some chips (which would have turned into the whole bag of chips). I gave myself a manicure instead. At the end of the manicure, I had no desire to eat.
  • LozPenguin
    LozPenguin Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Oh I feel for you. :( Its not easy; when I'm going through a tough emotional time my brain starts telling me "Who cares, what's the point of resisting, go binge on some chips/chocolate whatever, it doesn't matter." I don't click that I still DO actually care until after the fact.

Distraction is best; if you can, go catch up with a friend or someone you enjoy spending time with, preferably doing something active (like a walk) that won't result in going to a cafe for lunch; those triple-chocolate jumbo muffins aren't helping anyone!! If everyone's busy just go out yourself for a walk around the block, gives you time to think and calm yourself. Or as CourtNut19 said, manicure. Paint your nails, then you physically can't eat (unless you enjoy the flavour of poison) until they dry. Listen to some lighthearted, cheery music or watch a comedy while you do it and it might be enough to get your mind back into a more positive, stronger state. I've recently started doing yoga; highly recommend it :) the meditative aspect is good too as you have a chance to relax and just focus on your breathing. Good for stress. You can get yoga DVD's pretty cheap, and they usually give you 20min-30min sessions, so if you get dressed for it and get started as soon as you start to crave, by the time its over either the craving will be gone of you will have had time to think of a healthier substitute-food.

On a side-note Lindt choc balls are around 90 cals each right? If you endevour to burn 102cals through exercise per-day for a week, the slip-up will have evaporated and there's no need for any guilt. :flowerforyou: