A few questions! Need Help

Options
Hey there everyone just wanting to know some of your answers and opinions on these questions

So ever since about a month ago I've started to get hungrier more often, when i was trying to lose weight i would be able to have 3 small meals and no snacks but now im starting to have 3 some times 4 bigger meals, will that somehow spike some weight gain at all cause of the rapid changes in meals?

I've also been having alot of carbs (bread) on a usual day i have 2 Small Rolls (77 cal each) and 4 Pieces of Toast(380 cal altogether) (raisin bread with jam) just wondering if ill gain even though I'm eating within my calorie intake range?

Last question I'm not to sure on how much cals i should be taking in my BMR is 1,691 and i do at least 400 cal exercise a day and around 1500 when training for soccer 3-4 times a week. Just wondering if 2000 is too much or not, I notice gain on some days but I'm not sure if this is just water weight or not?

Thanks Everyone :)

Replies

• Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    It's a good idea to find your own numbers. Make sure your exercise burns are as accurate as possible. Weigh every day and average once a week and log everything you eat, even when you're over and feeling naughty.

Then you can look at trends. It may be your sports can complicate things with water weight for repair and or inaccurate counts. Keep things steady exercise wise while you're calculating.

I was surprised to find I burn slightly higher than average for my stats, (before exercise, which I calculated with a HRM, MFP is too high). Also, I've learned that I burn more day to day cals in summer, and burn less exercise cals the fitter and obviously lighter I get! I'm learning more every day!
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    Re hunger, when you're restricting the hunger hormones get shut off, that's why people make the mistake of eating too little and losing LBM.
    I have hunger issues, try omega 3 tabs, upping fat and protein. Get little rituals and tricks in to keep while you maintain for life which is the big challenge. Don't deny your fave foods (this is more psychological) or you'll rebel and binge.
  • dkriss
    dkriss Posts: 4
    Options
    One tip I can give you is not to use your excersice points and only eat your original calories. I never count my exercise even thought I track it as that is how you lose weight. If you add the calories to your intake you will maintain but not lose. I hope that helps.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    You seem to have some dreadful anxiety about maintaining and fear of food!

Q1/ If your bigger meals have more calories it will change your calorie balance, if the extra puts you into surplus you will gain weight. You haven't mentioned what your weight has been doing recently.....
    Q2/ How can eating more carbs but under your maintenance calories cause fat gain?
    Q3/ No-one can tell you the precise number of calories for you to maintain on. You need to be accurate with your logging and track your weight over an extended period of time (weeks not days). Then adjust accordingly to stay withing a reasonable range of weight (not a single weight - that's unrealistic).

You are making this far more complicated than it really is. It's just a numbers game.
  • allysteven880
    Options
    It is very nice and ideal. You have a good idea dear. Thanks a lot.
  • drew06
    drew06 Posts: 28
    Options
    I suggest what is called reverse dieting. If you're trying to maintain weight, start slowly increasing your calorie intake week by week (no more than 50-100 calories per week) and weigh yourself once a week to see if you start gaining weight. Small week to week fluctuations are normal, so really look to see if you see if you stay at the same weight for 2 or more weeks. This is a really slow process, but by the end of it you will see exactly how much calories you need to maintain.

As far as getting hungier, were you weight training, gained muscle, or did anything different when trying to lose weight? If you become more active or gain some muscle, naturally you will burn more calories and feel hungrier.

It is well studied that a low carb/ high protein diet helps people lose fat, but as far as I know, eating a high amount of carbs 40-50% of your daily intake) won't make you fat if you're still active and under your daily intake.