How does this look for a 22 week Marathon training schedule?

Options
How does this schedule look? It's based on another schedule I found I think I may want to ramp the mileage up a little more slowly after Week 9. This is the first schedule I've attempted to make on my own. I removed the pace runs from the original schedule. Since this is going to be my first marathon, I want to make sure I get to the starting line to begin with, and I am also able to get to the finish line as well.

Week Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat Sun
1 Cross 3 m run 5 m run 3 m run Rest 5 m run 8
2 Cross 3 m run 5 m run 3 m run Rest 5 m run 9
3 Cross 3 m run 5 m run 3 m run Rest 5 m run 6
4 Cross 3 m run 6 m run 3 m run Rest 6 m run 11
5 Cross 3 m run 6 m run 3 m run Rest 6 m run 12
6 Cross 3 m run 5 m run 3 m run Rest 6 m run 9
7 Cross 4 m run 7 m run 4 m run Rest 7 m run 14
8 Cross 4 m run 7 m run 4 m run Rest 7 m run 15
9 Cross 4 m run 5 m run 4 m run Rest Rest 13
10 Cross 4 m run 8 m run 4 m run Rest 8 m run 17
11 Cross 5 m run 8 m run 5 m run Rest 8 m run 18
12 Cross 5 m run 5 m run 5 m run Rest 8 m run 13
13 Cross 5 m run 8 m run 5 m run Rest 5 m run 20
14 Cross 5 m run 5 m run 5 m run Rest 8 m run 12
15 Cross 5 m run 8 m run 5 m run Rest 5 m run 20
16 Cross 5 m run 6 m run 5 m run Rest 4 m run 12
17 Cross 6 m run 8 m run 6 m run Rest 5 m run 20
18 Cross 5 m run 5 m run 5 m run Rest 8 m run 12
19 Cross 6 m run 8 m run 6 m run Rest 5 m run 20
20 Cross 4 m run 5 m run 4 m run Rest 3 m run 8
21 Cross 4 m run 5 m run 4 m run Rest 3 m run 8
22 Cross 3 m run 4 m run Rest Rest 2 m run Marathon

Replies

• Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    I don't see any strength training.
    Are you eating at or above maintenance?
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Pretty much based off of Higdon? It's a solid plan. Don't be afraid to adjust slightly here and there based on how you feel. Plans are guides not absolutes. Keep your long runs slow & easy. Personally I like to ramp up that mid week run to 12 miles, instead of 8. There's a lot of support out there that the "medium-long" run really helps and I agree.
  • PrairieRunner2015
    PrairieRunner2015 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I am eating at a slight defecit. I weight train on Tuesday, Thursday, and Sunday. I find I am eating closer to maintenance as my miles increase. In watching my bf% change, I am retaining LBM.
  • PrairieRunner2015
    Options
    Pretty much based off of Higdon? It's a solid plan. Don't be afraid to adjust slightly here and there based on how you feel. Plans are guides not absolutes. Keep your long runs slow & easy. Personally I like to ramp up that mid week run to 12 miles, instead of 8. There's a lot of support out there that the "medium-long" run really helps and I agree.

Yeah, it's based on Higdon. I like his plans as they've worked well for me so long as I follow them within reason. I am working on pulling myself back on the easy runs (I've purchased a Garmin F10 to help me do this). I used the running calculator McMillan has, and I need to reduce my pace to ~9:30-10:00 (I've been running 8:30). I could change weeks 18 and 19 to where I keep Tuesday and Weds to 5 mile runs and add to the mid week run. I'm curious as to why they say the increased mid week run is better (I'm not being argumentative, just curious and plan to look into it on my own as well.).
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    I am eating at a slight defecit. I weight train on Tuesday, Thursday, and Sunday. I find I am eating closer to maintenance as my miles increase. In watching my bf% change, I am retaining LBM.

Personally, I'd advise pushing calls up to maintenance or even above on days when you run.
    May as well have the fuel!
    ;D
  • mpderksen
    Options
    I totally agree with Rybo on getting the mid-week one longer. You can cut back on some of the daily runs if you need to so you don't add too many each week. There are important runs each week, and fluff. But I'll add a twist, I think you need intervals in there. While this is your first, and you do need to train your body for the distance, you also need some speed work to give you strength. I have a CrossFit Endurance Cert. And they would say long runs do more harm than good since the recovery time is so long that the damage outweighs the benefits. But that's an entirely different approach. With the plan you have outlined, use a heart rate monitor, and use the Maffetone method. Keeping your runs slow enough will help you build with less chance of injury.
    Note that the Higdon philosophy is effective, but is one of the most time-consuming ways to prepare. You'll get to 8-10 hours each week of running.
  • PrairieRunner2015
    Options
    I changed it to 6 days a week of running, as well as added some mileage to the other runs to try to keep the % of miles for the long run down. I reduced the 20 mile runs to 2, as well as reduced the taper. Does this look a little better? I thought there was too big of an increase after the half on the original plan.

4 1m run 3 m run 6 m run 3 m run Rest 6 m run 11
    5 1m run 3 m run 6 m run 3 m run Rest 6 m run 12
    7 2m run 4 m run 7 m run 4 m run Rest 7 m run 14
    8 2m run 4 m run 7 m run 4 m run Rest 7 m run 15
    9 Cross 4 m run 5 m run 4 m run Rest 3 m easy Half Marathon
    10 Cross 5 m run 9 m run 4 m run Rest 8 m run 15
    11 2m run 6 m run 9 m run 5 m run Rest 8 m run 16
    12 3m run 5 m run 7 m run 5 m run Rest 7 m run 12
    13 3m run 6 m run 9 m run 6 m run Rest 8 m run 17
    14 5m run 6 m run 10 m run 6 m run Rest 8 m run 18
    15 2m run 6 m run 8 m run 6 m run Rest 7 m run 13
    16 5m run 7 m run 11 m run 7 m run Rest 8 m run 19
    17 5m run 7 m run 12 m run 7 m run Rest 5 m run 20
    18 3m run 5 m run 7 m run 5 m run Rest 7 m run 12
    19 5m run 7 m run 12 m run 7 m run Rest 8 m run 20
    20 3m run 5 m run 7 m run 5 m run Rest 7 m run 12
    21 1m run 4 m run 5 m run 4 m run Rest 3 m run 8

I have some extra fuel to burn right now around my mid section. In the half and full I've entered I qualify for the Clydesdale class if I wish too (I'm right at 200 right now). I would prefer for my race weight to be in the 170 to 180 range. If it winds up being more than that, not a big deal. I have been eating more, and will probably continue to up it. I have a Dairy Queen just down the street (`1/2 mile away) for calorie boosts, when needed. I will probably go over on the day of, and day after the long run. It's what the trend has started to become.
  • asdelmonte
    asdelmonte Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I have suffered a stress fracture in my foot in the past, so when I trained for the 2 marathons I did, I swapped a couple of shorter runs out for bike rides instead every week. I still got the endurance training and kept my legs moving without adding any stress to my foot. Just a thought.
  • rybo
    Options
    I changed it to 6 days a week of running, as well as added some mileage to the other runs to try to keep the % of miles for the long run down. I reduced the 20 mile runs to 2, as well as reduced the taper. Does this look a little better? I thought there was too big of an increase after the half on the original plan.

I have some extra fuel to burn right now around my mid section. In the half and full I've entered I qualify for the Clydesdale class if I wish too (I'm right at 200 right now). I would prefer for my race weight to be in the 170 to 180 range. If it winds up being more than that, not a big deal. I have been eating more, and will probably continue to up it. I have a Dairy Queen just down the street (`1/2 mile away) for calorie boosts, when needed. I will probably go over on the day of, and day after the long run. It's what the trend has started to become.

My next question is what is your weekly mileage right now, how long have you been running this "base" mileage and how many weeks until you start this program?
    Unless you have a REALLY solid base, ramping up to 60 MPW over 6 days a week running is going to be treading a fine line between injury and preparation. Remember to keep many of your runs easy, especially with that volume. Another thing to really consider is once you get to that 18,19 20 mile range, it's all basically the same. That 19 mile week if you are feeling good and run 20, or feeling off & run 18, makes no difference.
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    I'm not exactly experienced but I am training for my first full right now and have hit the really long runs (20+)

It may be because I am new to this but I could not imagine having to do weeks like this:

16. 5m run 7 m run 11 m run 7 m run Rest 8 m run 19
    17. 5m run 7 m run 12 m run 7 m run Rest 5 m run 20

The plan I am following goes up to 24 before it tapers but anything over 16 miles has been a real struggle for me and I can't imagine not having a rest day right before the long run. I've needed every extra bit of energy and fresh legs to finish the extra long runs. I am however relatively new to running (only been at it for about a year) and this is my first so it may just be me running on non-experienced legs when I say that. Good luck to ya though, it's been an awesome crazy journey for me and hope yours goes the same.
  • PrairieRunner2015
    Options

My next question is what is your weekly mileage right now, how long have you been running this "base" mileage and how many weeks until you start this program?
    Unless you have a REALLY solid base, ramping up to 60 MPW over 6 days a week running is going to be treading a fine line between injury and preparation. Remember to keep many of your runs easy, especially with that volume. Another thing to really consider is once you get to that 18,19 20 mile range, it's all basically the same. That 19 mile week if you are feeling good and run 20, or feeling off & run 18, makes no difference.

I have been running off and on for 14 months, averaging 12-15 mpw. I am currently running 17mpw and will be up to 24 mpw by the time I plan on implementing a plan for a Full Marathon (I am training for a half on May 4th as of right now.). I just want to have things ready and planned out in advance instead of arriving at day 1 of training and going "What should I do?". If running 60 mpw would make it so I would be prone to injury, should I cut it back to the 5 days and reduce the miles down to 45-50 mpw range towards the end of training?

Thank you for the advice regarding the really long runs being pretty much the same and a mile + or - is not going to make or break things.
  • rybo
    Options

I have been running off and on for 14 months, averaging 12-15 mpw. I am currently running 17mpw and will be up to 24 mpw by the time I plan on implementing a plan for a Full Marathon (I am training for a half on May 4th as of right now.). I just want to have things ready and planned out in advance instead of arriving at day 1 of training and going "What should I do?". If running 60 mpw would make it so I would be prone to injury, should I cut it back to the 5 days and reduce the miles down to 45-50 mpw range towards the end of training?

Thank you for the advice regarding the really long runs being pretty much the same and a mile + or - is not going to make or break things.

I wouldn't neccessarily discourage you from hitting 60 MPW, but just be VERY aware of your body. If you have a small issue or pain, take care of it before it knocks you out. You might go all the way thru training just fine, it's just one of those things to keep up on. Foam roll, stretch and recovery will be important. The more miles you can get under your belt the better prepared you will be for race day, but just be mindful of your body so that you make it there.