Sick and exercise?

Options
I've been sick these past couple of days. I now just have a head cold. Is it okay to still work out and do cardio? I need to do my second day week one of c25k.

Replies

• becomingsara
    Options
    Good question! I want to know an answer as well. (sorry I couldn't help :ohwell: )
  • TennVolsGal
    TennVolsGal Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    So not an expert just a nursing student LOL but in my opinion no heres why.

When you sick your body is in hyperdrive already fighting the illness, by working out you make cause your body to not fight the bug as well which could make the recovery time longer. PLUS when I am sick I have no appetite so you dont have to worry about going over on your daily cals. I am a firm believer in lots of bed rest and soup. I really started following this and my cold recovery time was cut in half. If you can sleep as much as possible when your sick.

Hope this helped and that you feel better soon! Get your vitamin C
  • tater8589
    Options
    You will probably be fine, you may need to take it easy. If you feel like you have gotten worse, then stop working out and give your body time to recoop or you will get WAY worse. Also get lots of fluids, vit c, and maybe some zinc losenges (they help your immune system) and one of my fav's when i have a cold starting (or just can't shake it) Hot tea with honey and shot of jack or Hot/warm Dr Pepper with a shot of jack. Hope ya feel better and good luck.
  • farmgirlh
    Options
    Even though it is just a head cold I would still take it easy, do what you can and let your body tell you when it has had enough. I hope you feel better soon.
  • futurerunner
    futurerunner Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I might just lay down with some fluids tonight and I'll see how I feel tomorrow.
  • sublimechik28
    sublimechik28 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    i would work out and do what u can dont wear yourself out. it helped me feel better when i was sick you know sweat out the sickness lol. drink lots of water n soup and get a good nights sleep too
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I've been sick these past couple of days. I now just have a head cold. Is it okay to still work out and do cardio? I need to do my second day week one of c25k.

That C25K schedule will still be there after you have recovered. If you do decide to go ahead and try to "run through this" and it turns out you have not quite recovered enough to do exercise, you will be doing yourself a lot more damage that you realise.

Just let yourself recover, go walking for the exercise and you will get completely well a hell of a lot faster and then be much more able to give it your all when you get back to running.

Look after yourself, you only have one body xxx
  • Oranda
    Oranda Posts: 121
    Options
    I currently have a head cold and am in the middle -literally - of my 30 day shred. I haven't been able to do it for 3 days now, but I'm not too worried about it. I haven't been eating as much due to lack of appetite and to keep up some energy I've been doing a bit of walking and Tai Chi. Taking it easy to help myself get better. Fresh air definately helps (along with good old vitamin C). I find my temperature and heart rate really go up with the light exercise when I'm sick - so I don't think a heavy cardio workout would do anything but hurt my recovery, but that's just me. Hope you are feeling better soon!