Quinoa

Options
I've just discovered Quinoa! Yum! I'm unclear about the serving size....is it 1/4 cup cooked or 1/2 cup cooked 170 cals?

TIA

Replies

• _MG_
    _MG_ Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Silly question - but what does the package it came in say?

I'd start there.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Silly question - but what does the package it came in say?

I'd start there.
    What if it's a clear bag from the bulk store? :wink:

Here's the values for 100g uncooked. You can make up your own servings to fit your macros:

http://www.bulkbarn.ca/en-ca/product/cereals/organic-quinoa.html?search=quinoa
  • stacyjbaker1010
    stacyjbaker1010 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    The package says 1/4 C but it doesn't say cooked or raw. I only ask because when I prepared, following the directions (one cup Q with appropriate water), it yielded more that one cup cooked.
  • redpandora56
    redpandora56 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I literally just looked this up earlier today. If you Google quinoa nutrition in chrome, the sidebar that comes up let's you get nutrition info for both cooked and raw, that should help hopefully!
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    Yayyyy Quinoa!

Rah rah rah, good discovery!
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    The package says 1/4 C but it doesn't say cooked or raw. I only ask because when I prepared, following the directions (one cup Q with appropriate water), it yielded more that one cup cooked.
    I think you'll find the nutrition label at the site I linked for you is for raw/uncooked and that about 80g is a half cup.
    I can't remember the cup size because I always weigh my uncooked quinoa.
    Also, googling quinoa nutrition as suggested above gives similar numbers as the bulk barn site for raw/uncooked.
  • _MG_
    _MG_ Posts: 453 Member
    Options

In that case is most likely uncooked. I find getting info off the label is best. I try to use that before going to other sources.

And quinoa is some good ****.
  • Mich4871
    Mich4871 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    it's uncooked! Yields about a cup of cooked!
  • stacyjbaker1010
    stacyjbaker1010 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
  • Miamiuu
    Miamiuu Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I just had my first quinoa at a restaurant and it was delicious.
  • 1992Leigh1992
    1992Leigh1992 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I love Quinoa because when it's made to be all fluffy, what is a normal serving looks and feels like a lot!
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    1/4 cup uncooked is about 160-170 cals. The most accurate way to measure all foods is with a food scale, before cooking. Many variables will determine the size of your cooked product. (How old your quinoa is will determine how much it will fluff up, etc.)