New to weight lifting

Options
Hi, I weigh around 148 lbs/68 kg. A month ago I started cardio and yoga. Managed to lose a kg.

Just 2 days ago I started strength training. I have a pair of 2 kgs and 5 kgs dumbells. How long should I workout with the 2 kg ones before progressing to higher weights? Or should i do more reps with the 2kg ones?
I am a stay-at-home mom so do not have the variety of weights that a gym has.

Replies

• mschicagocubs
    mschicagocubs Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    Is the 2kg light enough that you can do 6 reps easily? If so, go with the 5. You want to make sure you struggle a bit to get those last 2 reps up.
  • KatissimusDorsi
    Options
    Typically here is how I do progression with dumbbells for my clients:

1) Pick a weight that is difficult to complete for 5 reps.
    2) Continue using that weight for your sets until you can complete 10 reps.
    3) Try to go up to the next weight (so from 12 pound db's to 15 pound db's, or 15 pound to 20 pound, etc)
    4) If you can't get that weight up, go back down and wait until you can complete 15 reps, then try the heavier weight again.
    5) Repeat indefinitely

For my beginner clients (beginners typically make strength gains quickly), I typically find they can go up in weight after about 3-4 weeks.

Hope this helps!
  • toningtia
    toningtia Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    actually the 2 kg gets a little tuf in the last few reps....maybe i should just give myself weeks more
  • toningtia
    toningtia Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    thank you :)
  • Chickee8586
    Chickee8586 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Typically here is how I do progression with dumbbells for my clients:

1) Pick a weight that is difficult to complete for 5 reps.
    2) Continue using that weight for your sets until you can complete 10 reps.
    3) Try to go up to the next weight (so from 12 pound db's to 15 pound db's, or 15 pound to 20 pound, etc)
    4) If you can't get that weight up, go back down and wait until you can complete 15 reps, then try the heavier weight again.
    5) Repeat indefinitely

For my beginner clients (beginners typically make strength gains quickly), I typically find they can go up in weight after about 3-4 weeks.

Hope this helps!

I've also been trying to figure out when you push myself. I've started doing what you said and if I can keep the right form, then I keep the weight. If I break form, I go back down and increase reps. I wish I had read this a while ago, it would have made it easier for me to know when to even attempt a higher weight. At least my thoughts are in line with yours. THANKS!