Eggs poached in a tomato, corn and black bean "stew" with fe

Options
meagalayne
meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
I actually have no idea what to call this creation, but I make it a lot and I LOVE it. It takes me about 35 mins to make and I can usually wash the dishes while the eggs are cooking - Really great weeknight meal! I usually serve it with a 100% Whole Grain wrap and the total calories for the meal are under 550! You will need only one big, deep sauté pan for the entire meal.

Serves 4 (big portions!)

Ingredients:
1 large onion, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1-2 jalapenos, diced (depending on how spicy you like things)
3 gloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp ground cumin, or less to taste
2 tsp ground coriander, or less to taste
1 28 oz can of diced tomatoes (most of the juice drained), or 2-3 large tomatoes diced with juices
1 cup of cooked, rinsed black beans (I use canned)
1 12 oz can of whole kernel corn
100 grams lite feta, crumbled
1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped (or to taste)
8 large eggs
4 whole grain wraps

Spray the sauté pan with a little cooking spray, and on medium-high heat, add the onions, bell pepper and jalapeno peppers and stir often. Once they have softened, about 5 mins, add the garlic and sauté for another min. Add in the ground cumin and coriander and stir to coat, cook another 2 mins. Add the partially drained tomatoes and lower the heat to medium. Allow the mixture to simmer for 10 mins or so, until the tomatoes thicken. Add the black beans and corn to heat through, 2 mins. Add the feta and cilantro, mix to combine. Create 8 small divets in the "stew" and break each egg into a divet (usually I do this in a circular pattern but you may have to fit some in tightly in the middle) - use a ramekin to avoid breaking shells into the dish and try not to break any yolks! Cover and let the eggs cook through, approximately 5-7 minutes. And then serve, with either a wrap, pita or just on it's own!

With my specific brands and ingredients the breakdown (with a wrap) is as follows:

Per Serving:
calories 532
carbs 63
fat 20
protein 30
fiber 12
sodium 1795

Using fresh tomatoes and only having one egg would lower the sodium, fat and protein slightly. Eating without a wrap would substantially lower the carbs. It's up to you :D But seriously - TRY IT!

Meag

Replies

• messyhare
    messyhare Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Sounds yummy! I just made some black beans so yes, I will try it!
  • csingleton24
    csingleton24 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    MMMM....kind of sounds like my huevos rancheros! I also used canned Rotel when I'm in a rush and don't want to chop the jalapenos and peppers. I add a little tomato sauce and omit the feta and replace it with shredded cheddar.

Thanks for sharing, sounds like a good variation of mine! I'll have to try it one day.
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    MMMM....kind of sounds like my huevos rancheros! I also used canned Rotel when I'm in a rush and don't want to chop the jalapenos and peppers. I add a little tomato sauce and omit the feta and replace it with shredded cheddar.

Thanks for sharing, sounds like a good variation of mine! I'll have to try it one day.

Can't find canned Rotel anywhere in Canada! Wish we had that luxury :P hehe I prefer feta to cheddar, but it's basically the same. Sounds tastey! I altered my recipe from a baked feta dish I found online here: http://closetcooking.blogspot.com/2010/04/tomato-and-feta-baked-eggs.html I didn't want to turn on my oven in the summer, and to be honest I think my dish turns out way better :) I prefer the cumin and coriander to oregano and I love the mexican style black beans and corn - such a good combination!