Routines

Options
So I used to be a very one-routine kind of gal. I did 30 minutes one the elliptical and then strength training machines - one day above the waist and the next below. It was kind of cool seeing that I could lift more after a few weeks and I was comfortable with my routine.

Now, I'm changing it up. I do the old routine, play tennis (although admittedly horribly), cardio dance classes, and even swimming if I can talk myself into it. My thought is that the more I have to choose from, the more likely I am to get my butt out the door. I'm wondering if I will improve as quickly because I am not focusing on anything specifically.

Do you find that rotating your workouts is more effective or do you stick to the same thing?

Replies

• DjBliss05
    DjBliss05 Posts: 682
    Options
    So I used to be a very one-routine kind of gal. I did 30 minutes one the elliptical and then strength training machines - one day above the waist and the next below. It was kind of cool seeing that I could lift more after a few weeks and I was comfortable with my routine.

Now, I'm changing it up. I do the old routine, play tennis (although admittedly horribly), cardio dance classes, and even swimming if I can talk myself into it. My thought is that the more I have to choose from, the more likely I am to get my butt out the door. I'm wondering if I will improve as quickly because I am not focusing on anything specifically.

Do you find that rotating your workouts is more effective or do you stick to the same thing?
  • wriglucy
    wriglucy Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Rotaing your workouts is definately the way to go. The body adjusts to routine, and muscles get used to the same 'ol same 'ol. Shake it up a bit...I bet you'll notice in the beginning you'll have sore mucles in places you didn't know you could work out! But...that's good. Gotta hit them all!! Hope this helps!
  • mkeithley
    mkeithley Posts: 399
    Options
    There is much debate out there about "muscle confusion". The idea is that not doing the same thing all of the time confuses the muscles so they don't get used to the same thing and this is soupposed to help build muscle better, more, etc-a good thing. Again there is debate out there if this is true or not. I personally change my weight routines every 6 weeks. Just so I don't get bored and to do diff things to help push myself, i also change my cardio too, sometimes I'll run less and do stairstepper more, or run more, or change my path I run, etc again to prevent boredom, sometimes if i feel i need some more "power" in my legs I'll do machines(stairstepper/elliptical/arc glider) more to add strength). When i 1st started working out the thought of anything more than 10 minutes of cardio seemed unattainable, so my trainer told me to pick out 3 diff machines and do 10 on each one, just to keep me from getting bored:tongue:
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    I usually do whatever I feel like doing! Unfortunately I don't have access to workout classes but I do have a selection of DVD aerobic workouts, I usually log at least 15 mins a day on the stationary bike too at 100rpm, followed by a sport: Usually I choose from badminton and basketball although I have tried tennis (I'm AWFUL at it, lol) Sometimes I throw in running laps or jumping rope. Really it all depends on my mood and how ambitious I'm feeling. Some people thrive on routine, but it really if best to mix it up, that way you know you're working your WHOLE body in various ways. :drinker:
  • greekgyrl02
    greekgyrl02 Posts: 123
    Options
    Workouts are never effective always doing the same thing. Your body is not getting shocked like it should and your going to eventually plataue. I like to do a hypertrophy workout 3 days a week for 3 weeks..then the next three weeks I switch it up and do strength and endurance for three weeks. So Im growing muscle and shedding fat. You should always always do weight training before cardio...while your doing weight training your body is anabolic and will rely on whatever carbs and fast acting glycogen are in your system to get energy. Then when you do your cardio your body will be depleted of these and go to your fat stores for they glycogen it needs for energy. Lets say Im going to weight train for 30 min and your going to run...initially you will lose more cals but as the day goes on I will double what you burnt. So add them together and your caloric expenditure will be very high.
  • mkeithley
    mkeithley Posts: 399
    Options
    Workouts are never effective always doing the same thing. Your body is not getting shocked like it should and your going to eventually plataue. I like to do a hypertrophy workout 3 days a week for 3 weeks..then the next three weeks I switch it up and do strength and endurance for three weeks. So Im growing muscle and shedding fat. You should always always do weight training before cardio...while your doing weight training your body is anabolic and will rely on whatever carbs and fast acting glycogen are in your system to get energy. Then when you do your cardio your body will be depleted of these and go to your fat stores for they glycogen it needs for energy. Lets say Im going to weight train for 30 min and your going to run...initially you will lose more cals but as the day goes on I will double what you burnt. So add them together and your caloric expenditure will be very high.

I LOVE fancy trainer/science talk!!! I can never express myself right:laugh: I know the basic idea, not the terminology, however i have mad spelling skills:laugh: .Thanks for an educated post:bigsmile:
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options

Mmm, good stuff. I'll put that into my little brain vault for safe keeping. Thanks greekgyrl.
  • greekgyrl02
    greekgyrl02 Posts: 123
    Options
    Hahaha its not often I get to sound smart :tongue: ! Your welcom Banks! :happy:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    Here's an oldie but a goodie....was looking up the platue thread for someone and came across this one in the meantime...

Check out greekgyrl02 post.....good points!:drinker:
  • connieq288
    connieq288 Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    I just saw this and was like BANKS is back. Then of course I noticed it was from April. :cry:

Connie