Finding a balance with lifting & weight loss?

Options
Hello all! I recently reached my 100lb lost mark, and subsequently started lifting. I still have a good 100lbs to lose, but I want to lose it slowly & want to be toned when I reach my goal size. That being said, will there be a point that I start losing fat AS I gain this muscle (which has made the scale go up to no longer reflect my 100lb lost, but I know I've lost inches, so I'm not fussing too much). I obviously can't stay 265... So have any of you had experience with this? Did I start lifting too soon? Should I wait until I've lost more fat? Don't judge on my ignorance on the subject, I put off asking, and put off starting to lift simply because I had NO clue where to start & no clue what would happen. Just curious when I will start to see a loss again.

Replies

• establishingaplace
    establishingaplace Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    If you've lost inches, then you have lost some fat while gaining muscle. There's a magical newbie period where this happens. Once that stops you'll just maintain the muscle you have while you lose fat, assuming you're eating a decent amount of protein in your diet and maintaining a calorie deficit.

It's never too soon to start lifting!
  • TexasDarling09
    TexasDarling09 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I've been eating the same amount of calories I was before (between 1500 and 1700). I do about 20 to 35 minutes of cardio most days, some days 60 minutes. Then I do about 30 minutes of lifting, 3x a week, sometimes 4x (when I go to the gym as opposed to when I just walk on a track). I'm concerned about my calorie intake too. Too much/too little? It was fine when I was strictly doing cardio. I also find that now I CRAVE protein. I do try to include more than I used to. Eggs/meat/whatnot.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    There is a theory that new lifters who are overly obease may see a window of muscle gain and fat loss at the same time. However, since fat is lost by creating a deficit and muscle is gained through heavy lifting combined with eating at surplus this is not a process that can continue for long. Most likely you will see the lifting help your body maintain the muscle mass you have while continuing to lose fat.

When did you start lifting. I am wondering if you are seeing water retention from your new routine?

How much protein are you eating?
  • TexasDarling09
    Options
    I've been lifting for about 3 weeks, yesterday started my 4th week. I started at 265, I'm at 272 now. I have lost inches, specifically in my lower stomach, chest, thighs, waist.

on my GOOD days, I eat a lot of protein. I usually do 2-3 eggs for breakfast, protein shake for mid morning snack, lunch is usually some type of low calorie sandwich w/ fish or lean chicken/turkey, if I do a red meat it's at dinner. Mid afternoon snack is usually veggies or fruits.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    almost 10 lbs isn't water retention or muscle gain- it's too much. hermmm- me thinks something else is afoot.

congrats on the first 100 lbs. by the way!

I'd really make sure you weren't getting sneaky calories somewhere over eating.
    (I have things I eat and don't think about and realize I've add 300 something calories to my day on 'accident')

women have to fight to put on appreciable muscle- and typically you are looking at 1/2-1 lb a week- so even if we assume water retention- AND muscle gain- it's still only 2-4 lbs of muscle for the month- that would be 6 lbs of retention- still sounds high.
  • TexasDarling09
    Options
    almost 10 lbs isn't water retention or muscle gain- it's too much. hermmm- me thinks something else is afoot.

congrats on the first 100 lbs. by the way!

I'd really make sure you weren't getting sneaky calories somewhere over eating.
    (I have things I eat and don't think about and realize I've add 300 something calories to my day on 'accident')

women have to fight to put on appreciable muscle- and typically you are looking at 1/2-1 lb a week- so even if we assume water retention- AND muscle gain- it's still only 2-4 lbs of muscle for the month- that would be 6 lbs of retention- still sounds high.

major typo! 272! not 277. I edited it and corrected it. My bad!
  • corgarian
    corgarian Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    When I started lifting (and even now) my weight didnt bidge for the first 4 weeks, and even now the number on the scale moves verrrry slowy. That being said, every week when I meanure myself the numbers go down. (down 4 inches in less than 3 months)
    Moral... throw away your scale.