Feeling discouraged about running

Options
So I decided that I was going to run a 5k this April. April 5th to be exact. Mind you I'm pretty overweight and I haven't run since middle school probably 16 years ago but I wanted to challenge myself and I'd lost 40lbs recently. I've been using the 5k runner plan and am on week 7 this week and have been consistently running 3 days a week. My struggle is that I feel I'm working very hard but that I cannot break 17 minute miles and by the end of my time running I'm worn out. Any suggestions for increasing my time? Or am I being too hard on myself?

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    this is very soon- I would really not worry about the time.

I would go with the mind set of just completing it and doing the best you can- you've been doing the work- results come much more slowly than our culture is willing to admit!

You're doing a great job- you've come far after losing 40 lbs- go out there and have a good time- and just run the thing and rejoice you set out to do something- and you did it!
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    As a beginning runner I wouldn't worry about time. Time comes in well time. if you consistently build up your mileage and your endurance base the times will naturally drop. Intervals or any such thing are really not worth it at your point just keep pounding the miles and you'll get there. Last May when I started I was running 15 or 16 minute miles now I'm running 10 minutes or lower.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    just keep running. who cares about time? the main thing is that you keep increasing your distance and training time in a reasonable manner and eventually you will be both faster and fitter.
  • pobalita
    pobalita Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about your pace either. You are doing awesome. In most 5Ks there are people of all abilities running - some sprint the whole thing in less less than 20 minutes and some walk most or all of the way. Fast or slow, they are out there doing it! You've trained hard you can do it.
  • So_Much_Fab
    So_Much_Fab Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    Speed will come with time - it's not something you should be worried about right now!
  • Platform_Heels
    Platform_Heels Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    You're being too hard on yourself.

You haven't run in well, forever, and now you're starting up again so of course it's going to be hard and you're going to be slow.

As for the 5k: you always RUN your first race and RACE your second.
  • disasterman
    disasterman Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Agree with the others who have said don't focus on time yet. Being overweight, as you say you are, makes running tough and you are being too hard on yourself! Congrats on your progress so far and keep up the great work!
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I was doing 20 minute miles at the same point. I did my 5k (pushing a DOUBLE stroller) in 40 minutes. My last 5k (9 months later) was 33:40.

Don't get discouraged. Just keep running. It'll come. Give yourself the time to be successful.
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're doing great to me! Besides, if you were popping off five-minute miles already, it'd be way hard to get a better PR -- think of all the improvement you have to look forward to!

Keep it up!
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    So I decided that I was going to run a 5k this April. April 5th to be exact. Mind you I'm pretty overweight and I haven't run since middle school probably 16 years ago but I wanted to challenge myself and I'd lost 40lbs recently. I've been using the 5k runner plan and am on week 7 this week and have been consistently running 3 days a week. My struggle is that I feel I'm working very hard but that I cannot break 17 minute miles and by the end of my time running I'm worn out. Any suggestions for increasing my time? Or am I being too hard on myself?

Too hard on yourself. Finish this 5K however you feel good doing so. Keep with the running and the speed will follow in time over slow and easy miles.

If anyone tells you to do speedwork, kindly ignore them.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    this is very soon- I would really not worry about the time.

I would go with the mind set of just completing it and doing the best you can- you've been doing the work- results come much more slowly than our culture is willing to admit!

You're doing a great job- you've come far after losing 40 lbs- go out there and have a good time- and just run the thing and rejoice you set out to do something- and you did it!

seriously…^^^^ that is such great advice^^^
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    You're being to hard on yourself. Speed will come with experience. Just focus on finishing, and ENJOY the event. There will be plenty of people who are slower.
  • H0neybug
    H0neybug Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    That is amazing progress! I can't even run a mile! Don't worry about the time, the important thing is you are completing a mile which is more than many others can say.

Keep up the great work!

:flowerforyou:
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    You're being to hard on yourself. Speed will come with experience. Just focus on finishing, and ENJOY the event. There will be plenty of people who are slower.

This. Don't worry about it. Seriously. I'm still a very slow runner. What I'm good at is endurance. But, as I add on more miles, my speed on my short runs improves as well. Just keep going.
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    I would urge caution on trying too hard to run if your weight is still pretty high--you can injure your knees in particular. I would recommend that you put a bit more focus on losing more weight--walking is a good way to burn calories and save your knees. You will find that after you lose weight you feel like a gazelle and running becomes effortless.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    There have been several people who have completed the C25k program without injury at close to 300 pounds. I was 215-220 when I started.

- Get fitted with good shoes
    - Go slowly and listen to your body
    - Focus on form
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    I would urge caution on trying too hard to run if your weight is still pretty high--you can injure your knees in particular. I would recommend that you put a bit more focus on losing more weight--walking is a good way to burn calories and save your knees. You will find that after you lose weight you feel like a gazelle and running becomes effortless.

Dude, I know your heart is in the right place, but you are not right here. I started running at about 280lbs or so. I have a knee that has osteoarthritis, it's from an old injury. My knee has never felt better. I ran on trails for well over 12 miles yesterday, with a LOT of uphill and downhill work. No freaking problem. My skinny SIL has issues with her knee when she runs. But, she consistently does the old "too much, too fast, too soon" method of training. She also has shin splints right now as we speak.

My doctor gave me the green light a year and a half ago, she told me to ease into it using intervals to give my joints some time to strengthen. That's it.

I also strength train, which only helps.

Please also note that being thin does not mean that you are in good enough shape to "run like a gazelle". It still takes progressive adaptation. Starting running is hard for EVERYONE, skinny or fat, old or young. It just is. I started at the same time as some relatives half my size (well, at the time, I'm smaller now), and it was EVERY bit as challenging for them as for me. It sure as hell wasn't effortless. Too many people confuse thin with in shape. They are NOT necessarily the same thing. I can out hike pretty much every thin member of my family, they will be huffing and puffing behind me.

Being fat is not a barrier to running. I and legions of other fat runners are proof of that.
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options

Being fat is not a barrier to running. I and legions of other fat runners are proof of that.

Certainly not. However, being overweight just adds to the risk of injury while getting into running shape. Your experience was positive, you might have uniquely resilient joints--others may not, I'm just urging caution, not recommending that she stop. A 17 minute mile is not running, but the only way to get there is to work at it. I just don't want her to push too hard to meet an April goal and potentially sustain an injury through overexertion. I've been running since the 1970's, I think I know a little bit about the subject.