Gastric Sleeve and VLCD

Options
13»

Replies

• vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    You are a very young girl. The complications from this surgery can be severe. When you are in your sessions, I urge you to ask them about how this could possibly affect fertility and your ability to safely and healthily have children. Even if you don't think you'll ever want any now, you could change your mind. This surgery alters a lot more than just your weight. I know a lady who had it done and has had horrible consequences ever since. I know you said you are set on having this done, but please, make sure you ask even more questions and make sure it really is what you need to do.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    This is why I disagree with surgery, if you can't control your eating without it, what happens after surgery? It doesn't fix the first problem.

Every single person I have know to have the surgery has gained back all of the weight or more. When you cut to a VLCD and then go back to normal habits, that's what happens.

About 20% of people gain back the weight .

I think you meant 80%?

LOL actually, the first article I read said 95% but that seemed high. The next two sources said 20%. I would believe 80% though..
  • kjo9692
    kjo9692 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    This is why I disagree with surgery, if you can't control your eating without it, what happens after surgery? It doesn't fix the first problem.

Every single person I have know to have the surgery has gained back all of the weight or more. When you cut to a VLCD and then go back to normal habits, that's what happens.

I think you meant 80%?

LOL actually, the first article I read said 95% but that seemed high. The next two sources said 20%. I would believe 80% though..

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

125jg90.png

Statistics... *sigh*
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options

I think you meant 80%?

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

125jg90.png

Statistics... *sigh*

Yeah, let's just settle on a fvckload of people gain the weight back.
  • new_clear
    new_clear Posts: 21
    Options
    I'm 28 years old and I am 12 days post op gastric sleeve. Yes, at first, your diet will be very limited. Your nutritionist will set a goal for you to get to, which will be difficult at first due to swelling, body reaction to products, etc. At this point, it's challenging to get up to 600 calories because I have to drink my shakes super slow (or I'll end up running to the bathroom), but I supplement that with a home made green vegetable juice every day. I'm sure I can get up to 800 cals w/o getting sick by consuming a lot of sugar, which would defeat the purpose and I have no plan on doing. I will eventually be able to consume 800-1200 cal per day, but that probably won't be for a few months.

I see all the arguments here from people who have no or little idea what the process entails, including the psychological part. They also throw statistics out there that aren't really all encompassing (e.g. weight loss will be a bell curve. You'll lose some X lbs then gain back a certain percent and will be able to maintain that X+N gain lbs). Some people fail to continue follow up with a general practitioner, nutritionist and psychologist, and end up eating through there new stomach. It's not a magic pill, but a tool and you must utilize a team to make it work for you. I'm not here to encourage you to follow in suite, but you are an adult and less your brain, your body's pretty much done developing. There are real risks to getting this done and vitamin deficiency will be a lifelong concern. Success requires utilizing your team and long term lifestyle change (so does weight loss on your own).

Most of the responses I'm seeing are fear mongering, 2nd hand accounts for which no one provides a detail medical account of the person. They may or may not understand individual complications. If you want a more supportive environment that will give you an account of people's failures, successes, complications and so on regarding the sleeve, gastricsleeve.com is a good place. It's a reservoir of information that can help to understand better what you're getting into, if you still choose to do it.
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    You are a very young girl. The complications from this surgery can be severe. When you are in your sessions, I urge you to ask them about how this could possibly affect fertility and your ability to safely and healthily have children. Even if you don't think you'll ever want any now, you could change your mind. This surgery alters a lot more than just your weight. I know a lady who had it done and has had horrible consequences ever since. I know you said you are set on having this done, but please, make sure you ask even more questions and make sure it really is what you need to do.

^This x1000!

My brother had gastric bypass about 12 years ago, and afterwards he was, um, very close to shooting blanks. Add that to his wife's PCOS, and they had to do IVF (not an easy thing, plus $$$$$) to have more children. They'd already had one the "old-fashioned way," so it was not a major problem before.

My sister had lap-band (which she has since had removed as an emergency surgery because the band slipped and wouldn't even let water through) and had to have it emptied before she even tried conceiving. (She since lost all her weight without the help of the band and regretted having it, especially because it was covered by insurance but her current insurance isn't covering the emergency removal.)

Point being, WLS can affect future fertility.

Additionally, just because your insurance covers the procedure now doesn't mean your future insurance will cover complications that may arise later. (See above re: my sister's $8,000 medical bill - she appealed with the insurance company twice and lost twice.)
  • DevilishDivaKLR
    DevilishDivaKLR Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    The Gastric Sleeve procedure is different than both the Lap Band and the Gastric bypass procedures. While they are all weight loss procedures they shouldn't be considered one in the same. PCOS actually has an affect on fertility as it affects ovulation so I would lean more towards that being the reason there was an issue with your brother/wife's pregnancy issue. No medical professional here however, but that is a fact with PCOS. Additionally excess weight ALSO has an affect on fertility levels and being able to conceive, so it's best to do what's right for you, esp. since it's been noted that you have health conditions which warrant the procedure. I agree that you should definitely ask these questions to someone who is qualified to give you real medical information.