Advice on Weightlifting

Options
Hi! I'm a pretty active person but I stick mainly to cardio. I'm at a weight I am happy with but I'd like muscle definition. For a while now I've been wanting to start a weightlifting routine. The problem is- I'm not sure what to do for upper body. I have always had problems with upper body workouts because I'm not sure what to do to see results. I'd like a more muscular back and more muscular arms. Any tips?
(lower body tips are appreciated as well)

Replies

• Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Think compound. Compound lifts are going to be the best use of your time, allowing you to recruit more muscles at a time. Focus on things like deadlift, squat, bench press, chin/pull ups, rows, overhead press, etc.

Many people on here recommend starting strength or stronglifts. I would look into those.

If you are looking for muscle definiton, that comes more from lowering body fat. But of course bigger and stronger muscles help too.

Certainly chins, rows, and deadlift (especially) from my list above are great options for your back.

And for arms: bench, chins, rows, dips, overhead press, even deadlift (forearms/grip).

There's lots of overlap, as you can see.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    starting strength
    strong lifts
    strong curves
    new rules of lifting

all great places to start.

definitely look for compound lifts- they are the most bang for your buck and will help build a solid base of muscle- if you want to go to detailing you can do isolation's later but getting that base down is really important.
  • erc89432
    erc89432 Posts: 21
    Options
    Thank you so much! (:
  • Mrsallypants
    Mrsallypants Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    Think compound. Compound lifts are going to be the best use of your time, allowing you to recruit more muscles at a time. Focus on things like deadlift, squat, bench press, chin/pull ups, rows, overhead press, etc.

Many people on here recommend starting strength or stronglifts. I would look into those.

If you are looking for muscle definiton, that comes more from lowering body fat. But of course bigger and stronger muscles help too.

Certainly chins, rows, and deadlift (especially) from my list above are great options for your back.

And for arms: bench, chins, rows, dips, overhead press, even deadlift (forearms/grip).

Deadlifts, best upper body exercise. not.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    starting strength
    strong lifts
    strong curves
    new rules of lifting

definitely look for compound lifts- they are the most bang for your buck and will help build a solid base of muscle- if you want to go to detailing you can do isolation's later but getting that base down is really important.

all this ….
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options

Deadlifts, best upper body exercise. not.

That's not at all what I said. They're a great back exercise.
  • rieann84
    rieann84 Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    deadlifts are a finger exercise for me. ughhhhh my grip.
  • Deadpool9
    Deadpool9 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    starting strength
    strong lifts
    strong curves
    new rules of lifting

This^
  • NewmaNewma
    Options
    CrossFit! I started CrossFit the beginning of December and can definitely see the changes in my body! The workout is different every day also, so you are working different muscles daily.
  • Weebs628
    Weebs628 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    My favorite upper body workout is negative pull ups. I'm working up to pull ups, but negative ones make me sore everywhere!