How do I pick a goal if I don't want to go by the scale?

Options

Replies

• jdb3388
    jdb3388 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Isn't 32 on the larger side for a female? I know most guys want to be around 32-34. I thought women wanted to be in the 25-26 range. Anyway, you don't have to make your goal scale oriented, but you are still going to need to use a scaled as your TDEE is going to change as your weight does and your calorie count will need to change in order to keep your deficit in tact.

32 isn't really that big. That's about a size 12. Depending on the girl's height and build, that could be a good goal.
    A 25 inch waist is very small, like a 2. My waist wasn't that small even when I was a bony college student (115 pounds at 5'7"). When I am at a good weight now, it's around 28.

But the number you should pay attention to is the hip measurement. Hip measurement is the size limiter for women, not waist.

I dont understand what everyone raising their eyebrow about. If 24 is a 0 and 25 is a 2 and 26 is a 4 then what I said is correct. a 32 would be a size 14 and thats pretty big isn't it? I mean I'm not trying to be critical, I'm a big guy, but for someones goal to be a size 14 thats a like me saying my goal is to be a size 38.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Isn't 32 on the larger side for a female? I know most guys want to be around 32-34. I thought women wanted to be in the 25-26 range. Anyway, you don't have to make your goal scale oriented, but you are still going to need to use a scaled as your TDEE is going to change as your weight does and your calorie count will need to change in order to keep your deficit in tact.

:huh:
    Double :huh:

and.....^^^ This :huh:

Yeah. Me, too. :huh:
    and me too....wtf :huh:
  • 19TaraLynn84
    19TaraLynn84 Posts: 739 Member
    Options

32 isn't really that big. That's about a size 12. Depending on the girl's height and build, that could be a good goal.
    A 25 inch waist is very small, like a 2. My waist wasn't that small even when I was a bony college student (115 pounds at 5'7"). When I am at a good weight now, it's around 28.

But the number you should pay attention to is the hip measurement. Hip measurement is the size limiter for women, not waist.

I dont understand what everyone raising their eyebrow about. If 24 is a 0 and 25 is a 2 and 26 is a 4 then what I said is correct. a 32 would be a size 14 and thats pretty big isn't it? I mean I'm not trying to be critical, I'm a big guy, but for someones goal to be a size 14 thats a like me saying my goal is to be a size 38.

But a 32 is not a size 14. I have a waist that is close to 37 inches and I wear a size 10 or 12.
  • lillilanda
    lillilanda Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    How about creating goals based on following your plan? For example, track food every day for three months and stay under your calorie range at least four days a week. Or if you're doing strength training, set your goals on what you're able to lift (with advice from your trainer on what's reasonable in what kind of time frame).
  • SezxyStef
    Options

depending on where you measure ...my waist at it's natural bend is 29.5 inches...at my belly button it's 33..and I wear a size 6...

But my jeans are all low riders...

Best just step away now....
  • jlynnm70
    jlynnm70 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I'm 5"0" and my waist is 29 1/2 - I'm aiming smaller yet (I have abt 20# to go)

Take goals one at a time and change them as you go. Prepregnancy pants is a good start - then decide if you want to go farther.
  • mrsfyredude
    mrsfyredude Posts: 177 Member
    Options

But a 32 is not a size 14. I have a waist that is close to 37 inches and I wear a size 10 or 12.

^^This.....women's clothing is all over the place, unless it says "one size fits all"
  • MzHornedOne
    MzHornedOne Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I'm 39" most days and I am a size 12. I was a size 4 when I got pregnant. I can't remember if I was a 32" STOMACH (not waist) pregnancy.

I guess I'll just make my ultimate goal a size 4 jean and if I have to adjust when I get closer of course I will :)
  • jdb3388
    jdb3388 Posts: 239 Member
    Options

I mean to write 32 = size 12, but either way, thats still big isnt it? I mean, again, I am NOT being an *kitten*, I am being real, I am currently a size 38 and I am still very much over weight, for a girl to say she WANTS to be a 10 or a 12, that is similar. Maybe a 25 inch waist is more of a "perfect world' kind of scenario but what I'm asking is, wouldn't MOST people want to be around a size 4-6, which would be around a 28 inch waist?
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    to the OP you could always use a tape measure...and then take those measurments to a website for BF%.

I know those sites are not as accurate as medical tests but it shows your progression down.

For me I just bought a scale (my son wanted one) but I would weigh every couple weeks at my office gym...

But to be frank for me it's all about BF%, tape measure, clothing size and how my lifts are going up...
  • lemon629
    lemon629 Posts: 501 Member
    Options

The point is, for a lot of women a size 12 or 14 is NOT big. I have a a 32 inch waist right now and wear a size 12. I would like to lose more weight, but I am not really that big. Most people would be very surprised to hear me say I want to lose 27 more pounds, and in fact my trainer does not want me to lose that much because he thinks I will be too low in body fat. (He thinks I should get to 155-160.)

And the OP said "around the tummy" which is probably lower than her actual waist. If so, 32 around the tummy would probably be a 30 waist.
  • lemon629
    Options
    A 25 inch waist is a 2, not a 6.
    For most women that is extremely small and difficult to maintain unless very petite.
  • 19TaraLynn84
    19TaraLynn84 Posts: 739 Member
    Options

I mean to write 32 = size 12, but either way, thats still big isnt it? I mean, again, I am NOT being an *kitten*, I am being real, I am currently a size 38 and I am still very much over weight, for a girl to say she WANTS to be a 10 or a 12, that is similar. Maybe a 25 inch waist is more of a "perfect world' kind of scenario but what I'm asking is, wouldn't MOST people want to be around a size 4-6, which would be around a 28 inch waist?

This may surprise you, but it's very possible that MOST females don't care to be a size 4-6. Personally, I'm shooting for size 8.
  • mrsfyredude
    mrsfyredude Posts: 177 Member
    Options

This may surprise you, but it's very possible that MOST females don't care to be a size 4-6. Personally, I'm shooting for size 8.

I'm a 12 shooting for a 10....I don't think I've ever been a 6, unless it was a 6x and I was 7!
  • MzHornedOne
    Options

[/qoute]

You keeps saying waist when I said stomach. Like around the belly button.
    waist is the smallest part of a woman and is not normally a problem area for a girl. She wants her STOMACH to be smaller. lol
    You're stepping on toes because everyone is talking about a different place than what you are talking about.
  • kjo9692
    kjo9692 Posts: 430 Member
    Options

:huh:
    Double :huh:

and.....^^^ This :huh:

Yeah. Me, too. :huh:

Funny that the advice comes from someone whose goal is eating 600 calories a day and didn't take advice on eating based on TDEE - 20% or a reasonable deficit. :huh:
  • MzHornedOne
    Options
    The only problem with body fat % is it's sooooo hard to get an accurate measurement. I would LOVE it if I could get one all the time but idk if it's worth the money.
  • lemon629
    Options

A 28 inch waist is a approximately a size 8, not a 4.
    30 "around the tummy" would probably put her in a size 10 or possibly an 8.
  • The_1_Who_Knocks
    The_1_Who_Knocks Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    My goal is what I want to see when I look in the mirror.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    To be honest, it depends on your body type. My waist is 31 inches and I highly doubt it will ever get smaller, *maybe* 29.5 but that's pushing it and probably only if I went down to 18% body fat or something (which I'm not planning to do). I'll never fit in a 4, unless it's vanity size (like Old Navy).

So yeah... I'd say just keep losing weight until you like your look in the mirror.