Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Cardio & Strength

I've finally found the amount of calories that works for me, and I'm really trying to incorporate the right amount of exercise to help me lose more weight combined with the calorie deficiency. As of right now, I've been doing strength training 3 times a week combined with cardio 2 times a week. Is this a reasonable plan and should I be doing more of cardio or strength based on your experiences? I've searched a lot of topics and have seen so many different opinions on it and it's so stressful because I feel like I'm just not doing the right things and I'm getting so confused.

Replies

• links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    imo, *what* you are you doing is more important than *how often*....but doing something is better than nothing.

what kind of strength training and cardio are you doing?
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    That sounds like a good plan! Once you start exercising, you may find that you need a bit more calories to keep up your energy, so don't despair if you feel like you aren't eating enough any more. Just adjust it slowly, like it sounds like you've done to find this amount that works (or log exercise and try eating back about 1/2 of the calories).

And, just a heads up: when you start new exercises, it's common for the muscles to retain water for a while as they adapt, so don't give up if the scale doesn't go down for a few weeks (or even goes up a bit). As your body gets used to all these changes, the extra water will come back off.
  • smcasillo
    smcasillo Posts: 2 Member
    Try lifting 4x a week and doing cardio 5 days a week for at least 30 mins. Try doing this and do at least 6 exercises. 3 sets 15 reps.
    Mon-chest/triceps 30 mins of cardio.
    Tues-legs 30 min of cardio
    Wends- abs maybe 40 mins of cardio
    Thurs- back. 30 min of cardio
    Fri- biceps/shoulders. 30 min cardio

Also always lift first then do cardio.
  • beertrollruss
    beertrollruss Posts: 276 Member
    Your plan is very reasonable, especially if you like it and it fits your lifestyle.

You're right there are a ton of opinions out there. You have to figure out what works for you and try to filter out the noise. You can do the same workouts as long as you like if you're goal is maintenance and losing weight. If you get bored or you want more intense workouts, you'll probably need to start mixing up your workouts.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Sure it's a reasonable plan.....depending on what you're calorie intake and fitness goals are.
  • Platform_Heels
    Platform_Heels Posts: 388 Member
    If it's something that you're going to stick to and it's working for you then there's no problem with it.
  • gracebridges90
    gracebridges90 Posts: 39 Member
    Ive been using youtube and have been following fitness trainers on there my schedule is like this:

Monday: Cardio combined with abs (30 mins)
    Tue:Upper back arms & Chest (20 mins)
    Wed: HIIT Leg & Cardio (25 mins)
    Thu: Rest
    Fri- Glute, Inner thigh and outer Thigh (35 mins)

They have over 300 videos so I'm just going to be switching it up so I don't stay in a set routine.
  • Ive been using youtube and have been following fitness trainers on there my schedule is like this:

Monday: Cardio combined with abs (30 mins)
    Tue:Upper back arms & Chest (20 mins)
    Wed: HIIT Leg & Cardio (25 mins)
    Thu: Rest
    Fri- Glute, Inner thigh and outer Thigh (35 mins)

They have over 300 videos so I'm just going to be switching it up so I don't stay in a set routine.

Can you post the link?
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Do what YOU want to do, not what others think you should do. If you want cardio & strength...go for it. If you want cardio only, go for it. If you want strength only, go for it.

Don't let people tell you what they think you should be doing, cause only you know what you can & cant do.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Do what YOU want to do, not what others think you should do. If you want cardio & strength...go for it. If you want cardio only, go for it. If you want strength only, go for it.

Don't let people tell you what they think you should be doing, cause only you know what you can & cant do.

If she's not going to listen it sort of negates the point of asking for advice, don't it?