does metabolism change a lot over 30?

5 years go ago when I was 26 I successfully and relatively easily lost 6 stone by counting calories and walking daily, but over the years got lazy and inactive and it all crept on again. This time round I've lost 6 lb since Christmas and now appear stuck around the 219lbs mark. I'll lose 2lb one week then 1 will reappear then next week I'll stay the same then 2 on then 2 off in a loop! I've only been using MFP for a little over a week, before this I was using a paid site that I used before to lose all the weight. Could it be my metabolism hindering my progress?

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    It shouldn't matter - MFP gives you a goal appropriate for your age, weight and height. It can just take a while to notice a weight loss. Do you weigh all your food? That could make a difference as well.
  • curiology
    curiology Posts: 15
    I do indeed, even if the packet or whatever has the weight on and I'm eating the whole pack, I use digi scales for everything except occasionally not for cucumber or lettuce or celery
  • icu814me2
    icu814me2 Posts: 212 Member
    Yes, it does slow as you get older. All cell activity does. It's published in the AMA Medical journals pretty heavily.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Yes it does, and not in the way you'd like. It goes down, down, down. Gotta eat less and move more just to stay the same.