Addicted to sugar, how to wean myself off?

Options

Replies

• SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    *shrugs* I just learn moderation with everything I enjoy and don't try to blanket my desire to eat certain types of foods with the word, "addiction".
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    calorie deficit is what you need for weight loss ..

sugar is not the devil.

you can eat sugar and lose weight..I probably eat 50+ grams a day and am 12% body fat…

just make sensible choices, do not restrict foods, and maintain your deficit...

^^^ This is the best advice I have seen on this thread. It is a sustainable way for long term.
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    OP, I'm going to assume here that you know your own body and your ability to control yourself around sugar. When I find myself having eaten too much sugar over time and need to back off for awhile I eat a little more protein and fat until the cravings subside-they usually do after a few days. Yes, a deficit is the "right" answer but its hard to achieve that when your body is craving something constantly. Cold turkey is fine, too, but it gives me the munchies. The fat and protein keep that at bay for me.
  • DavidSTC
    DavidSTC Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Many moons ago, I cut out carbs (no longer on that diet). It took weeks before my body stopped craving sugar. In the supermarket, I could smell the candy aisle approaching. I had to avoid that area altogether. I also quit caffeine at the same time. I had a headache for over a week. But, it's the best thing I've ever done. I can have some sugary treats now, but my body doesn't expect it any longer. Now, when I get it, it's a real treat rather than feeding an addiction.

Good luck to you. Maybe you could just cut down your intake to one sugary dessert a day, and manage it that way.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    I eat way too much sugar. I plan to change that, so I have started small, by not adding sugar to things when it's not necessary (ie my coffee). I still get cravings, which I hope will get less and less as I consume less sugar.

Has anyone here weaned themselves off sugar? Do you have any tips for me?
    Are you going to stop eating fruit then? It seems to me that people cannot tell the difference between a craving and an 'I just want this' mental state. So everyones 'addicted' to things when in reality 99% of people just need to use some self control. I really want a doughnut at the moment. That's not a craving I just want one that doesn't mean I never have a doughnut in my life it means I use some self control and occasionally have one. Cutting needlessly totally out of your diet is the road to failure I'm afraid
  • snoopyjet
    snoopyjet Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    What about artificial sweeteners? During induction faze, could it help or just worse things?
  • clareyoung80
    clareyoung80 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Personally, I went cold turkey for a good 6 or so months, and ate whole foods. (Yes, sugar is in fruit and carbs convert into sugar. That's not really the point).

So, I completely cut out processed foods. That completely re-set my taste buds. Then, I started to introduce various things back into my diet and I started to see what were my trigger foods that I should stay away from - for me, most 'treat' foods! Biscuits, sweets, chocolate. Things I can never just have one of, and can never eat in moderation.

For now, I just avoid those trigger foods, and I re-introduce things I'm ok with. Cream in my coffee, dried fruit etc...

I think the 'cold turkey' aspect helps re-set some of your emotional associations with certain foods you over-eat. Then, you tend to be able to tell when you are craving sugar because you're 'bored', 'tired', 'sad' and so on.

I also never wanted to go the route of denying myself EVERYTHING, so if I crave something sweet I eat fruit. Even if I eat 500 calories-worth of fruit a day, it's still better than if I ate chocoate (which could very easily turn into 1000 calories of chocolate and then some).

It's not ideal - I know the end goal would be to have some self-control. But honestly, I don't really care at the moment. I'll figure that out later! Though I do know, the longer you go without certain 'treat' foods, the less you crave them and the more weird they taste if you do have them.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Sigh... Moderation.

giphy.gif
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Sugar sets me off down a bad road, so I just went cold turkey. Have failed along the way, but just went right back at it. Throwing all the crap in your house away is a good start.
  • marshrowan
    marshrowan Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    God, dropping sweets is bad enough it will be difficult to drop carbs as well. I just popped two girl guide cookies in my mouth because I had 357 calories left and thought it would be okay. Bad choice of course, I should not be eating cookies of all things!

why not?

if you are in a deficit, have hit you fat and protein minimums for the day then it does not matter….

If I have left over calories I fill it in with ice cream and a cookie or two ..keeps me sane...
    if thats what someone needs to do to reach their deficit then they should!
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    Reading through this thread, the problem people are having isn't sugar, it's foods that are hyper-palatable which also tend to be high in fat and calories. Not surprisingly, over-consumption of those same foods is tied to weight gain and diabetes.

So it would be more accurate to say that you are working on cutting out foods that you are unable to eat in moderation, rather than being "addicted to sugar." Your body doesn't know the difference between natural sugar and processed sugar; it's not the sugar.

There's nothing wrong with limiting certain foods if that's what you need to do to stay on track, but at least be honest as to why you are doing it, rather than trying to blame the food itself or using pseudoscience to back your choice. If there's one thing I've learned since being here, it's that accountability is everything if you want to succeed. Even when it means being accountable for the times you go overboard. You can't change a behavior unless you are willing to own it.
  • clareyoung80
    clareyoung80 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Reading through this thread, the problem people are having isn't sugar, it's foods that are hyper-palatable which also tend to be high in fat and calories. Not surprisingly, over-consumption of those same foods is tied to weight gain and diabetes.

So it would be more accurate to say that you are working on cutting out foods that you are unable to eat in moderation, rather than being "addicted to sugar." Your body doesn't know the difference between natural sugar and processed sugar; it's not the sugar.

There's nothing wrong with limiting certain foods if that's what you need to do to stay on track, but at least be honest as to why you are doing it, rather than trying to blame the food itself or using pseudoscience to back your choice. If there's one thing I've learned since being here, it's that accountability is everything if you want to succeed. Even when it means being accountable for the times you go overboard. You can't change a behavior unless you are willing to own it.

^^^ Yeah, this - what I was trying but failed to say!
  • browns1908
    browns1908 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Go cold turkey...it's the only way. And have a lot of fresh fruits on hand to help with the cravings.

Just as an FYI...start on a Thursday...so you can deal with the withdrawal symptoms over the weekend and be refreshed by Monday. (Symptoms include fatigue and irritability)
  • KnM0107
    KnM0107 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I claimed I was addicted to sugar long ago. Then I woke up and realized I just liked sugary foods and had no self control.

Sugar is not evil and just because you don't have self control does not mean you are addicted to it.

It is an excuse and until you start blaming yourself instead of food, nothing will help.
  • clukacevic
    clukacevic Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I went off processed sugar about 2 years ago. It has been worth it! Food actually tastes GOOD! I make baked goods, homemade ice cream and smoothies using maple syrup as my sweetener. It takes very little and it does not spike your glycemic index.

I recently went on the Daniel Fast and could only use dates as my sweetener. It has been a bit tough but I'm doing it.

One thing I noticed a year after giving up sugar completely is that mosquitos are no longer attracted to me! I can sit outside and read a book under the trees and they come around but leave me alone. I used to be their favorite meal.

Best of luck to you! I'd recommend Nourishing Traditions cook book (and reference book). Very eye opening!
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Sigh... Moderation.

giphy.gif

I kind of think that's the OP's point. Some folks have trouble eating sugar in moderation and need to cut it out for a time to control the cravings. If someone has never had to deal with constant and persistent sugar cravings it may seem simple but for others it is not.
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options

^^^ Yeah, this - what I was trying but failed to say!

^^^Well said. Self control is paramount to long term success. That is why most people fail at keeping the weight off. It doesn't end when you reach goal. Denying foods for the rest of your life will take huge self control, if you don't have it now, how will it develop at maintenance? A great quote I got here "If I don't yet have the self control, I don't want it bad enough".

None of this is simple or easy, if it was, none of us would have a problem in the first place.
  • captmel
    captmel Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Cold turkey was the way for me. 4 weeks without any sugar besides fruit and now I treat myself on Sundays. in the evening though, So I have to go to bed and when I wake up its forgot about and I have a new week ahead of me. As soon as it touches my mouth i crave it so much more. I am totally addicted. I'm craving it right now. I have 3 chocolate bars in my fridge for 3 days now. Just sitting there. Normally I would have them gone. But its nice to know that I can control myself lately :) I guess it will get easier with time. I hope so anyways.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Sigh... Moderation.

giphy.gif

I kind of think that's the OP's point. Some folks have trouble eating sugar in moderation and need to cut it out for a time to control the cravings. If someone has never had to deal with constant and persistent sugar cravings it may seem simple but for others it is not.

That is fine and good, it doesn't make it addiction. Until people are picking dirty lollipops out of trash bins for their next sugar fix, it is not an addiction.
  • Apocalypz
    Apocalypz Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    calorie deficit is what you need for weight loss ..

sugar is not the devil.

you can eat sugar and lose weight..I probably eat 50+ grams a day and am 12% body fat…

just make sensible choices, do not restrict foods, and maintain your deficit...
    I don't believe she's blaming sugar solely for the weight gain; instead, I believe she's just trying to cut back. When I used to hit the gym 6 d/wk 2 hr/d, I was doing 12 packets of sugar in every cup of coffee (12*20 cups = well too much sugar!). I decided to make a healthier change not because I was in poor shape; quite the contrary -- I was in the best shape of my life. No, I realised that I just didn't need that much sugar. *getting off soap box*

Getting to the original question though, I couldn't ... correction, didn't think I could do it cold turkey when I cut back. Looking back, as hindsight is 20/20, I still believe I couldn't have achieved by going cold turkey. I just started to acknowledge when 12 packets was too much. Then I went to 11, then 10, etc over the course of nigh on one year.

Now I'm down to 1 per cup. Sweets went the same way. Easily, I'd finish off 50 peppermints a day. Good lord, my breath was always fresh. Slowly down to nil. For me, it was all awareness. All the best to you and whatever works!