What makes a dennys veggie omelette 10 carbs?

Options
Miamiuu
Miamiuu Posts: 262 Member
I checked a website and they said the omelette has 10 carbs. Now I wondered if maybe they put pancake batter like some restaurants, but my mother has tasted and she says its just eggs. And it has some veggies but not a whole lot. also it says the philly cheese steak omelette has 12 carbs. Anyone have insight on how dennys makes their omelettes? I used to estimate these as hardly any carbs since I thought it was just egg mainly.

Replies

• Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Vegetables have carbs. Also, they may use milk in their omelette, or maybe they don't, but that would add carbs too. Eggs also have carbs. So a three egg omelette will have 3 grams of carbs just from the eggs and it doesn't take much to add another 7 grams of carbs. That's still a pretty low carb meal so the concern is? (I'm ketogenic but I do not avoid veggies!)
  • Miamiuu
    Miamiuu Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Vegetables have carbs. Also, they may use milk in their omelette, or maybe they don't, but that would add carbs too. Eggs also have carbs. So a three egg omelette will have 3 grams of carbs just from the eggs and it doesn't take much to add another 7 grams of carbs. That's still a pretty low carb meal so the concern is? (I'm ketogenic but I do not avoid veggies!)

I was wondering if that was accurate amount since they dont put the nutrition for the omelette only just up on their website.
  • Sarah4fitness
    Sarah4fitness Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Vegetables have carbs. That's your answer.
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Vegetables have carbs. That's your answer.
    That, and Denny's often puts a cheese sauce on their omelettes ... one thickened with flour - so even more carbs.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Pretty much this. Vegetables have carbs.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Vegetables (excluding root vegetables and dried beans/peas) are not a "high carb" food BUT all plant food has SOME carbohydrate. Some animal protein, such as eggs and dairy, as has been pointed out, also have carbohydrate. In general, grains are the "heavy hitters" in terms of dietary carbohydrate content. And when grain is combined with sugar (as in cakes, cookies, pies, etc.) there is a real problem with "carbohydrate overload" that makes people fat and sick. One can mitigate the effect by exercising a lot (including resistance work) but, over time, the sugar and grain will have a deleterious effect. That's what books like "Grain Brain" are all about. In that book, the neurologist who writes it looks at recent research that suggests that wheat gluten, in particular, is VERY destructive to the central nervous system, among other undesirable outcomes over time. I try to get the vast majority of my carbohydrates from vegetables and some fruits. I eat no added sugar and no wheat.