HIIT & Strength training do I need a rest day in between?

Options

Replies

• mizzcasual
    mizzcasual Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Would I need a rest day in between that?
    I done the hiit workout yesterday I don't feel that tired today at all.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Good move on adding strength training.

I think it depends on what you are doing.. usually I will do HIIT on days I am not working my lower body. Today, I did both so it all really depends on how you feel. HIIT is pretty taxing on your system, sometimes you don't feel tired or achy but how your body recovers is a whole different story. I definitely think you should give your body a couple of rest days during the week if doing both on the same day. Maybe do a M W F workout schedule? Doesn't have to be those days specifically but you get what I mean..
  • mizzcasual
    Options
    I'm not sure I'll be able to handle the above workout if I did HIIT and Strength on the same day an since both have squats.

If I was to try it do I do HIIT or Strength first?
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Strength first... everyone is different though. I know that my lifts suffer if I do cardio first.
  • mizzcasual
    Options
    Will it matter that I have lunges and squats in both the hiit and the strength training like will it effect the workout done on the same day?
  • JMoore221979
    Options
    I would think that you wont gain any strength if doing hiit first then lifting. Each person does hiit differently. Some incorporate body weight exercises and some use sprints. I lift 5 days a week and usually do hiit after 2-3 of the lifting days but mine are sprint intervals.
  • mizzcasual
    Options
    Oh yeah and if I tried it on the same day would i take a short break after the strength before doing the hiit or go straight into it?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    i do following..

monday - upper workout
    tuesday - lower
    wens - HIIT/Abs
    thurs - upper
    friday - lower
    sat - 100% rest
    sunday - volume workout 3x12 of total body workout…arm curl, decline chest press, barbell squat, dumbbell military press etc…

I think it is always good to have at least one, 100% rest day ...
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Will it matter that I have lunges and squats in both the hiit and the strength training like will it effect the workout done on the same day?

I would not do sprints on the same day as legs…

I am usually really taxed after my lower workouts and I can barley walk out the place, much less blast out sprints..
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I have a HIIT and Strength training plan I go to the gym 3/4times a week.
    Usually I'd focus mainly on hitt but I decided I needed some strength training.

How would I arrange what days to do what? and both of the plans are full body

Should it be something like this?

Tues - HIIT
    Wed- Rest
    Thurs - Strength
    Fri - Rest
    Sat - HIIT
    Sun - Rest/strength

or could I do this? Do I need a rest day after each of the workouts?

Tues - HIIT
    Wed - Rest
    Thurs -Strength
    Fri - HIIT
    Sat - Strength
    Sun - Rest
    Mon - rest

what are your goals?

I would say more strength, less cardio ..

Monday - total body strength training
    tues - HIIT
    wens - total body strength
    thurs - HIIT
    Friday - total bod strength
    sat and sunday rest/active rest/etc

you do not have to do total body stuff ..you could go with a split type routine …or a more structured program like 5x5, starting strength etc...
  • mizzcasual
    Options

Tues - HIIT
    Wed- Rest
    Thurs - Strength
    Fri - Rest
    Sat - HIIT
    Sun - Rest/strength

Tues - HIIT
    Wed - Rest
    Thurs -Strength
    Fri - HIIT
    Sat - Strength
    Sun - Rest
    Mon - rest

what are your goals?

tues - HIIT
    thurs - HIIT

you do not have to do total body stuff ..you could go with a split type routine …or a more structured program like 5x5, starting strength etc...

My goals are to get toned and lose body fat.

My workout is on the previous page, i've only just recently decided I wanted to do strength only when I saw a new trainer an noticed his workout was more strength focused than hiit . I'm booking a session again with him next week he might change it.
    The other hiit plan was done by my other current trainer . Those are the plans I have at the moment.
  • ndj1979
    Options

Tues - HIIT
    Wed- Rest
    Thurs - Strength
    Fri - Rest
    Sat - HIIT
    Sun - Rest/strength

Tues - HIIT
    Wed - Rest
    Thurs -Strength
    Fri - HIIT
    Sat - Strength
    Sun - Rest
    Mon - rest

what are your goals?

tues - HIIT
    thurs - HIIT

My goals are to get toned and lose body fat.

My workout is on the previous page, i've only just recently decided I wanted to do strength only when I saw a new trainer an noticed his workout was more strength focused than hiit . I'm booking a session again with him next week he might change it.
    The other hiit plan was done by my other current trainer . Those are the plans I have at the moment.

if you are new to lifting then I would suggest picking up a copy of starting strength and/or new rules of lifting for woman…and build a program around lifting heavy using compound movements - barbell squat, deadlift, rows, bench press, pull up/chin up, overhead press, etc….I would say four sets each of 8-10 reps…

keep eating in a deficit and you will lean out …set your macros to 40% protein, 30% carbs, 30% fats...
  • mizzcasual
    Options
    Yeah I have chin ups , the goblet squat , trx rows in the previous plan.

i'll just stick with the current strength plan I have at the moment an probably the trainer will make up a new plan with hiit considered.
    I haven't done deadlifting or anything like that yet.
  • purplishblue
    purplishblue Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I've been wondering this same thing! I just started working out again, and will be doing HIIT and strength training. I too wasn't sure if I should do HIIT, Weights, HIIT, Weights, etc, or do HIIT and Weights, rest, HIIT and Weights, rest, etc.

The only difference with me is that for now, I'll be doing strictly lower body/abs weight exercises due to a shoulder injury. So... I don't know if that changes things. My goals are to lose fat, gain muscle with an overall weight loss.
  • Mrsallypants
    Mrsallypants Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    sounds like a vomit inducing workout.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    sounds like a vomit inducing workout.

Lactic acid threshold training is vomit inducing. HIIT is nothing.
  • mizzcasual
    Options
    I did my strength training plan today I was hungry after so I don't try the hiit I was worried I'd faint or something because I don't have the energy. I'm not sure I'd have managed the HIIT mine is a very intense plan.
  • purplishblue
    purplishblue Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    *bumb*

Any other suggestions? Still unsure if it's best to do HIIT and weights on the same day, with a rest inbetween (working out 3 times a week basically), vs alternating HIIT and strength 5 days a week? Goal is weightloss.
  • kapoorpk
    kapoorpk Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    My thought process...

When I was in the process of losing weight, I did HIIT with 3 minute high, 2 minute low intervals, 5 days a week and it torched away 70 lbs of weight.

Since then, my goal is to recompose, i.e. gain muscle mass while reducing body fat...thus, the approach is a more delicate balance.

My routine goes as follows with cardio getting done AFTER lifting, deploying most of my energy to heavier lifting:
    (breaking up lifting into 3 muscle groups, rotating through them with 2 days of lifting and 1 day rest from lifting, incorporating HIIT on rest day and on the lightest of the lifting days; preserves muscle gains better)

M - push muscle - no cardio
    T - pull muscles (smaller muscle group, so added cardio) + HIIT (30 second high, 60 seconds low intensity)
    W - HIIT only
    TH - Legs & abs - no cardio
    F - push muscles - no cardio
    S - HIIT only
    SU - pull muscles - HIIT
    M - legs & abs......so on and so forth...

This way, every muscle group gets worked out after 3 days of rest while getting focused on roughly twice a week. Prevents over training while stimulating muscles just enough. Compound lifts - the big 4 are incorporated into the routine, i.e. squats, overhead press, deadliest and bench press.

That is what I do and has worked rather well for me.
  • BennyCH
    BennyCH Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    "Abs are done in the kitchen..."

most of the schedules presented will lead to system overtraining...

I recommend taking a day off between each INTENSIVE workout, be it HIIT or weights...

also do not workout longer than 30 minutes, if you can you are not doing it intense enough...