Good 5K Time?

After a long break from going to the gym (about four months), I decided to get back into it this semester. I have been running and biking for the past two months. I'm super excited to be running and to have the stamina to run for most of my runs (only a couple minutes of walking). I'm doing 5K in about 35 minutes. I was wondering what some of your average times were for a 5K? I finally feel like I'm getting back into shape and its exciting! =]

Also, any pointers on how to transition from running on a treadmill to running outside? I always seem to struggle more with running outdoors...

Replies

• kota4bye
    kota4bye Posts: 809 Member
    Times will vary extremely depending on training, expierence, age, weight, ect.

20 years ago I ran sub 6 min miles, for a few years I didn't care about running, but could still crank out a 23-24 min 5k a couple times a year. I started training for a half marathon and ran 21:37 for a 5k earlier this month. Just depends....there is always room to go faster!

As far as running outside....get out and do it. I hate treadmills, so I rarely run on them, I get bored running the same course outside so I mix up my routes a lot, but have few must do hills and portions that I enjoy testing myself on, so they get run a couple times a week.
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    faster than your last attempt to PR...

if your not improving, your training plan sucks and should be looked at...
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Sounds like you're making great progress getting back into. As for time, you really can't compare to others. Just build on what you've done. IF you're curious to compete in a race, look up official times on some local races to see what people in your age group run. Gives you a goal, if you're interested in that type of competition.

As for transitioning to outside...if outside feels harder, slow your pace when outside. As long as you keep running outside, you'll build up to running outside more comfortably. Running outside requires listening to your body to find your pace, versus a treadmill, where you set a pace and maintain it.
  • MagdaSea
    MagdaSea Posts: 78 Member
    Running outdoors is always more difficult for some reason. But I suppose it makes sense that it's because you set your own pace.

I finished 5k in 35 minutes when I first started out as well. However I would stop and walk for a bit so had I run the entire time, it would probably be a minute shorter?

A friend of mine has been jogging off and on almost every day for the last year. She completes 5k in 21 minutes.
  • JL2513
    JL2513 Posts: 867 Member
    I was averaging about 30 minutes for a 5K run. Until this past Sunday, I hadn't run in about six months. On Sunday, I finished my 5K run in 25 minutes, which I'm very pleased with :) I think 30 minutes is pretty decent. As long as you're improving and getting faster, it's all good!
  • gagnon9691
    gagnon9691 Posts: 75 Member
    My time is between 45-50 minutes but I am also doing it with my 7 yr old son. I'm doing my first 5k without him in April so I'll have to update then.
  • steve0820
    steve0820 Posts: 510 Member
    A good time is beating your last time. My first 5k, I set a goal of 30 mins, got 29 mins flat. I was happy. From there, I compiled how I felt and how much I trained for the actually event. So for my next race, I can now set a new goal time, with the feedback I got from the previous race.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    I was wondering what some of your average times were for a 5K?

I'm on about 27 minutes at the moment, my focus is on longer runs though, working on my 10k time.
    Also, any pointers on how to transition from running on a treadmill to running outside? I always seem to struggle more with running outdoors...

Open the door, go outside, start running... :)

The main thing is watch your pace, many transioners seem to overdo it when the go out into the world.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    5K times are going to vary wildly. For example, I'm a sprinter and not a very good distance/endurance runner, not to mention I supinate so running distance is really hard on my feet, knees, and hips and my hips are very, very tight at the end of a 5K run. With training I can hit right around 30 minutes...and that's with quite a bit of training.

Conversely, my wife can run sub 30 minute 5Ks with no training at all and is just a very good natural runner. With a few months of training under her belt, she can usually crank them out in about 21-22 minutes or so.

You just have to strive to do YOUR best and consistently improve. As to transitioning outside...well, you just go run outside. There's really nothing more to it than that. It is more difficult because you actually have wind and natural terrain to deal with, etc...plus the treadmill does a bit of the work for you...but really, you just get out there and run.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Average is about 20:15.

Advice.

For me, running on the treadmill is harder because I can see the pace I'm putting down at all times. When I run outside I can space out and lose my pace.

What I did is distanced out a 5 mile route, I know when I'm a mile in...know where I'm at to time my splits from mile's 2-3-4 (5K), and my sprint home on the last mile. Since I have timing markers, it's easier for me to keep my pace up.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    My average 5k time is around 19.40. I have been running for around 18 months.

There is no bad time. All is relative.
  • crispsandwich
    crispsandwich Posts: 177 Member
    I run about 40 mins at moment, including couple of short walks to catch my breath, but I think it's only a race against yourself, as long as you continue improving your own pb.
  • davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    Yep, it's all relative. I have always been a casual runner but stepped it up about 3 years ago (when my kids started college). At that point I could do roughly a 24-minute 5K. Last fall I got my time down to 17:49, and I'm going to try and improve on that next fall.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    As other have said, its all relative.

World Class times? sub 15 minutes

Local elite? Sub 20

average overall? 35-30

Work on improving your time, and don't worry about what everyone else around you is doing.

Transitioning shouldn't be too difficult (but will feel different). Pick your surface wisely. Asphalt is softer than concrete. DIrt track is softer than asphalt. Go a bit slower until your legs get used to the changes.
  • campi_mama
    campi_mama Posts: 350 Member

This. Exactly.
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member

RUDEST COMMENT EVER!

OP-run YOUR own race at YOUR own pace. My suggestion would be to sign up for a 5K and your time will give you a marker and goal of what YOU are capable of. As you run more often and longer distances, you will improve.
    Good luck!
  • jclist1
    jclist1 Posts: 87 Member
    My average 5k time is 19:15.

Really, there can always be constant improvement. Both the treadmill and running outside have their pros and cons. I love running outside though. You just need to get around the mental blocks and start doing it. Have something that tracks your pace, miles, and other stats you want (gps watch, phone, whatever you want) and go at it.
  • litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    People are answering two different questions here - some seem to be talking about their average race time for 5k, and others their average time just going out for a run. If you want to keep improving, go outside and just run at a comfortable pace (where you could chat to a friend or sing to yourself); don't try to run as fast as you can every time. Then every few weeks, if you try to run as fast as you can you'll probably surprise yourself with how much faster you can do it. I can race 5k in around 19 minutes but if I am just running 5k at an easy pace it takes around 25.

Re. running outside being harder, you are probably setting off way faster than you would on a treadmill, by accident. You're thinking 'running! Time to go fast!' and then find you're out of breath sooner.
  • Thanks to everyone for the great replies! I really appreciate them =]
  • Kargicq
    Kargicq Posts: 72 Member
    I'm fairly new to running, but try to jog 5k at least a couple of times each week. I've recently moved to running outside from the treadmill (weather related!) To agree with people above, I found that I started off waaay too fast.

First 5k I ever ran was at the start of last year; 38 minutes. Now I'm about 29 minutes. Thinking of taking part in another informal race soon! (In the UK we have this fantastic movement called Parkrun: http://www.parkrun.org.uk/ Free, no registration, timed 5km runs every Saturday morning in hundreds of locations. Unfortunately I'm normally ferrying kids to activities at that time...)